Author Topic: Has anybody ever installed MCO on a clean win 10 install (NOT win upgrade)?  (Read 1520 times)

Has anybody ever installed MCO on a clean win 10 install (NOT win upgrade)?
MCO runs perfect when PC with prior win version is upgraded to win 10. It runs with bad resolution when it is installed on a PC with fresh installed Win 10 (NOT Upgraded). Most people upgraded to Win 10 and had MCO already installed-> no issues ).
Did anybody ever install MCO on a clean Win10 PC? What happened in that case and how did you make it run OK?

Re: Has anybody ever installed MCO on a clean win 10 install (NOT win upgrade)?
Actually it is not the resolution but the color depth that is not working correctly. Everything shows in lowest possible color depth but only for MCO/MC2X. Everything else has optimal colors depth.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
My computer was Windows 10 from the start...never had color depth issues.

Silly question, but you've changed the compatibility settings for the .exe, right?

I no longer have MCO installed to check what I used, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Win XP SP2 compatibility and 16 bit colors.

Thx for the info. It is important for me to know now that it can work on a fresh win10 install.
I tried all types of compatibility settings; but none changed a thing.
Did you adapt any Win10 settings like Legacy support or similar?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Hmmm...honestly, I can't remember, sorry.  I know the only 'Legacy components' windows feature I have selected is DirectPlay, but I can't remember if that was for MCO or not.  Enable it and see if it works?

Some quick google-fu led me here: http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4364.0.  If you scroll down there are some posts about color issues, which might be similar to what you're having?  I know the posts say the color issues are specific to older OSes, and not clean windows 10, but still might be worth a look-see.

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4743.msg27072#msg27072

I would recommend trying to start the related exe files with "reduced" technical compatibility by using starting-parameters for the specific Exe file.

By disabling display scaling on high dpi settings i could solve the biggest "graphic" / "mouse scrolling" issues with MechCommander... -  ... that people with newer systems (Win7 and above...) had.
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

Thanks again. I activated DirectPlay already. Will check out the links for color issues. Maybe some insights there.