Author Topic: Tech room question  (Read 3653 times)

In the wiki under ship tables for the entries $Closeup_Pos: and $Closeup_Zoom: the first sentence reads:
How the model will show at tech room and briefing screen animations (assuming a pre-rendered animation is not specified).

The text in brackets indicates to me that it is possible to replace the rotating models in the tech room with a pre-rendered animation.
Furthermore it is possible to do this under 'ship selection' with the entry $Ship_Anim:

I would like to know what entry is required to specify a pre-rendered animation or image replacement for .pof models in the tech room ship list.

Wookiejedi altered this a bit ( https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95756.0 ) but the wiki apparently didn't got updated.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
$Ship_Icon/$Ship_Anim/$Ship_Overhead are for the Loadout Screens in missions - they do not relate to the techroom.

$Closeup_Pos/$Closeup_Zoom is for the techroom (according to the description given) or the little window that pops up if you click on briefing icon.

But there is also this bit in $POF_file_Techroom, you should take note of:
$POF file Techroom:
Filename of the model file (.pof) at data/models folder; used only in the weapon loadout screen
(emphasis mine)

That implies the terminology for this kind of stuff is ... off.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:03:21 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Unfortunately $POF_file_Techroom only changes the model in the weapon load out screen, not in tech room, and it only accepts .pof (not .png).
So unless someone wants to code a new feature, changing a tech room model to a pre-rendered animation or static image isn't an option.

If this is true, then the wiki description should be edited for $Closeup_Pos/$Closeup_Zoom.

I'll ask Wookiejedi about this, there was a discossion on Discord about the same thing.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Ah yes so many of those names are a bit tricky to understand at first. I didn't actually change much, other then fix a bug involving the weapon load out screen icons (now if you specify an icon it will actually show up).

$Tech Model: used within the weapons table only affects weapons in the mission weapon load editor, not the techroom. +Tech Anim: in the weapons table is what affects the techroom animation for the weapon.

As for ships, I think there must be a way to set it to use a pre-rendered animation (ani file at least) but perhaps that functionality never got added. $Ship_Anim: as you noted only applies to the ship loadout editor iirc.