Author Topic: Vasudan Takeover - Canon questions  (Read 3273 times)

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers
Vasudan Takeover - Canon questions
I've begun writing on my little story I've discussed in other threads and I have a few lore-related questions I can't easily find answers to.  I also have something regarding the General Assembly to mention afterwards.

1: Was Khonsu II the Vasudan Emperor during The Great War or did he attain power after the Shivan conflict?  I began operating on the assumption that he was crowned not too long before the creation of the GTVA for some reason and I realize I had no canon info on that.  If there isn't any info, I'll just keep that assumption in the story :P  It isn't relevant to what I wrote and I can work around it.

2: Do we know what the Vasudan life expectancy is?

3:  Where can I find the resources on which contractors built which fighters/warships?  I see the wiki has info on the ship manufacturer (Herc II being made by RNI Systems) but I couldn't find that in the Tech Room.

4: Anyone has ideas on good Vasudan names?  I know they're really themed like Egyptians and the names are probably just shorthand for Terrans to address them (I doubt those frog-noises can actually make the sound "Psamtik") but I'd accept suggestions for good names (both male and female)

Now, as for the General Assembly...  My theory states that the GTVA General Assembly is not the Terran branch of government, but rather a mixed-species body.  While there is no definitive proof one way or the other, I think I found an argument for the latter in the Colossus' propaganda video.

"In 2345, on the 10th anniversary of the attack on Ross 128, the Vasudan Emperor Khonsu II adressed the newly-formed GTVA General Assembly"

Okay, this is thin.  I can just point to foreign dignitaries addressing Parliamennt or Congress or whatever.

But I think the video implied that Khonsu was speaking to representatives of both species.  The excerpt of Khonsu's speech sounds as if he's addressing both Terrans and Vasudans, at least in my own humble, biased opinion  :nervous:

So yeah, my story will involve a mixed-race General Assembly.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: Vasudan Takeover - Canon questions
3:  Where can I find the resources on which contractors built which fighters/warships?  I see the wiki has info on the ship manufacturer (Herc II being made by RNI Systems) but I couldn't find that in the Tech Room.

Took me a while to find this again. I originally stumbled upon it a month or two ago (going to bookmark it now :p).
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Corporations

2. AFAIK there's 0 hint in canon
4. Unless you mean "Vasudan" names of Vasuda (like the land "Ancient Egypt" was called Kemet) I'd suggest to look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pharaohs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Egyptian_mummies_(officials,_nobles,_and_commoners)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Egyptian_mummies_(royalty)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

The demographics of the Vasudans are propably a mess regardless of life expectancy ... between the war dead from T-V war, the Great War, and the destruction of Vasuda Prime they might be "missing" large sets of their population.
Not to mention a signifcant number of people who returned from the war with permanent injuries, both physical and mental.

Also that might have infrastructre, ressources and knowledge lost that technically supported a high life expectancy - e.g. drugs that can no longer be produced because of whatever reason you find appropriate (e.g. think of what would have happened if Penicillum fungus went exstinct in the late 1940s)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline darkdaej

The demographics of the Vasudans are propably a mess regardless of life expectancy ... between the war dead from T-V war, the Great War, and the destruction of Vasuda Prime they might be "missing" large sets of their population.
Not to mention a signifcant number of people who returned from the war with permanent injuries, both physical and mental.

Also that might have infrastructre, ressources and knowledge lost that technically supported a high life expectancy - e.g. drugs that can no longer be produced because of whatever reason you find appropriate (e.g. think of what would have happened if Penicillum fungus went exstinct in the late 1940s)

True.  Basically, I was wondering if they live for similar lengths of time humans do, or if they maybe had shorter lives (maybe due to their metabolism running higher due to their home planet's conditions etc) or might live much longer.

But okay, no canon information on that.  Thanks :)

Offline darkdaej

Took me a while to find this again. I originally stumbled upon it a month or two ago (going to bookmark it now :p).
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Corporations

Thanks!  Do you know where that information comes from?  Because I can't find most of that in-game...

Colossus Cutscene has a list of companies.

Offline darkdaej

Well, it does, but it lists those involved in the Colossus project.

For instance, there's nothing in the tech rooms saying RNI systems made the Hercules Mk II, yet it's canon information...so where was that picked up?  The manual?

I doubt that the TV-War caused a major demographicly significant loss (though the bombing of colonies would be an unknown factor) with the largest of warships having ~10k crew. The destruction of VP affected most likely all demographic groups alike so it's probably not like after WW1 and 2 with young male having extreme high death rates.

That depends on many factors like the stress-resistence of Zods (probably rather higher than Terran), the medical abilities of the 24th century and other. Again; the TV-War probably did not effect many people, and those who involved would probably more killed than injured in particular against the Shivans.

For instance, there's nothing in the tech rooms saying RNI systems made the Hercules Mk II, yet it's canon information...so where was that picked up?  The manual?

It's in the mission loadout screen in each mission (the one where you configure your wings).

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Huh. Herc 1 and Herc 2 were made by different companies.

Offline darkdaej

It's in the mission loadout screen in each mission (the one where you configure your wings).

It is?  I'll have to recheck Retail for that because I can't see it in the enhanced menus.

To top it, the Herc 2 was made by different companies in the FS2Demo and FS2. Ares continues the line by being made by a 3rd company.

Which "enhanced menus"? MVPs hasn't changed that.

Offline darkdaej

If you turn on the 3d models for ships and weapons, there is a change.  I get rate of fire stats and so on regarding the weapons, something which wasn't there in Retail.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
FRED also shows the manufacturer names via the TBL info tab.

If you turn on the 3d models for ships and weapons, there is a change.  I get rate of fire stats and so on regarding the weapons, something which wasn't there in Retail.
That's your Weapon Loadout from the sounds of it. Check Ship Selection before it.

Offline darkdaej

FRED also shows the manufacturer names via the TBL info tab.

That's your Weapon Loadout from the sounds of it. Check Ship Selection before it.

THAT must be where I saw it originally...I knew I had seen it somewhere outside the wiki.

MVPs alter some things (like indeed showing weapon capacity; or for weapons their stats) but the manufacturer isn't altered.

Offline darkdaej

MVPs alter some things (like indeed showing weapon capacity; or for weapons their stats) but the manufacturer isn't altered.

Yeah, I just noticed the huge text box to the left of the model of the ship.

Man am I blind...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
To top it, the Herc 2 was made by different companies in the FS2Demo and FS2. Ares continues the line by being made by a 3rd company.

There is an unmanned spaceship known as Cygnus which has been making cargo runs to the International Space Station since 2013.  It was originally designed and manufactured by Orbital Sciences Corporation.  This company was bought by ATK Technologies in 2014, and ATK was itself bought by Northrup Grumman in 2018.  So in the span of six years it was made by three different companies.

One could therefore speculate that Han-Ronald Corporation, the makers of the Herc I, was bought by RNI Systems, the makers of the Herc II.  Han-Ronald is the manufacturer of a large number of FS1-era ships, but no FS2-era ships*.  Meanwhile RNI Systems does not appear at all in the FS1 ships.tbl, but appears many times in the FS2 ships.tbl.

* With the single, annoying exception of the GTB Artemis.  A campaign designer could handwave that somehow, or ignore it, or retcon it by changing ships.tbl.