Author Topic: big update on knossos today 02-09-2019  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
big update on knossos today 02-09-2019
I notice that BP and Solaris both have big updates today on knossos. Anyone know what new goodies are in store?  Is it to do with the release of 19.0.0-RC1?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: big update on knossos today 02-09-2019
I think the BP update is for a few bug fixes and also for reducing the number of suns in a few missions.  The new lighting system was causing slowdowns if the number of suns is more than around 15.

No idea for Solaris. 

The recent release candidate doesn't have any major upgrades, mostly fixes, stability enhancements, and minor debugging upgrades.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Solaris: Just look in the topic? Darius posted the changes in one of the latest posts.

BP: Quote from Darius (from HLP Discord server):
[...] update blue planet complete on knossos, the latest version has stripped down vishnan suns
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Thank the gods. Nevermind the performance hit, dogfighting in there was like having a flashbang blowing in your face every 2 seconds.

One would have expected that somebody had come to the idea making sunlight intensity related to their size though...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
One would have expected that somebody had come to the idea making sunlight intensity related to their size though...

That would be cool. Can the FS engine handle stuff like that?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

In theory yes - MVPs flash effect provides different levels of blinding effect. In practice, somebody would have to code it in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
FYI I just did a quick test of 'Post Meridian' via the techroom. I noticed the following changes:

Intro movie (Petrach's monologue) is now in HD  :)

At least some of the loading screens have nice new background images.  :)

Some HUD elements and text look larger, which makes them easier to read, however some of text now spills over their icons which looks a little messy. (Possibly increase icon size to compensate, as the larger text is definitely welcome)

The animated faces are larger too. This appears to have caused a few artefacts in the animations (or made them more noticeable if they were always present.) They take up a fair bit of the screen space now too, which is a little annoying if it happens in the middle of a dog fight. Is there any way to revert them back to their original size?

It is using 19.0.0-RC1,  :nod: and it did appear smoother all round :) :yes:

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
In theory yes - MVPs flash effect provides different levels of blinding effect. In practice, somebody would have to code it in.

This might be fairly simple on the FSO side, although I would have to take a look to be sure. Bigger problem is probably adding this to the mission file and coding the ui in fred.

Also, this could affect a lot of mods, so it would have to be a mod settings table option instead of the default.

If any of you really wants the option, you should add an issue in github so that maybe someone eventually looks at it.  Otherwise it doesn't really have a chance of being added. My job is a little time consuming for me to give it a solid try.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
The Gefs got some new tech too; new Scimitar model and a new fighter called the Typhoon, among others. Murugan too!

Edit: So I'm a little confused. Was FS Blue removed? At a quick glance into the campaign list it was missing, and quickly checking Kings Gambit there was no briefing stage telling the player that TAG support was available.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:39:20 am by Colt »

Offline Darius

Shouldn't have been removed. The package is still there in the developer tab in knossos, though i notice it's not there in my local files. Ive installed it to my local files and I'll update bpc on knossos without any changes to confirm the package is there.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Strange. Just gave 1.0.5 a spin but the result is still the same. I compared it to version 1.0.1 and found bpc-fs2blue and the advanced 1,2 and 3 .vps missings. bpc-core appears as a standard data folder. I verified file integrity, no problem found.

I'll uninstall/reinstall this evening and report back  :yes:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
FYI I just gave today's update a try. FS Blue is there, as is Kings Gambit and the briefing about TAG support.

Also notice the text/icon size mis-match I mentioned has been cleared up :-)

Good job all round :-)  :yes:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
@Colt: you can force the additional packages to be installed by using Mod -> Options -> Modify.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
@Colt: you can force the additional packages to be installed by using Mod -> Options -> Modify.
How have I not...  :banghead:

Yeah that fixed it. Thanks Mito. Sorry for the goosechase Darius :blah:

What missions, if any, do the new fighters show up in?

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
What missions, if any, do the new fighters show up in?
Any mission with Gefs, such as missions 5 and 11.