Author Topic: lazy question about TBL's and TBM's  (Read 4348 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
lazy question about TBL's and TBM's
So I'm trying to extract the SAAA and S-AAA-Weak in complete, MVP, single, standalone table form- IE: The weapons in their full table state with all the MVP edits already put in. no separate tbm's.  kind of like how BtA does things.

I know I could just open up the retail table file and dig for the 2 or 3 Mvp tbm's that edit those weapons and merge them manually. . .
Adding and Overwriting code line by line. . .
with tons of room for me to make errors. . .     (I know about the Wiki, but it can still be tedious to go though and not misplace things)

but. . . :/

I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do this? FRED has the TBL view button that shows the combined tbl and tbm edits for a selected ship, but there is no option like this for weapons as far as I know.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:35:49 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Re: lazy question about TBL's and TBM's
Sadly, there's no other way. :sigh: You could ask if the MVPs could change their TBM structure (as AFAIK, nobody ever used only parts of them, aside high-res stuff) to make it easier to mod... but that's probably it.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The MediaVPs .tbms don't add functionality* so they are safe to disregard anyway. Personally I wouldn't bother updating my special issue versions of FS2 weapons if it wasn't breaking visual cohesion.

* (the only edge case being beams overpentrating targets at low hull value)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Well getting consistent, improved graphics is actually the point behind DefCynodonts question I presume...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that beam overpenetration is a retail thing, the MVPs only added the flamy bits that come out alongside the beam on the other side.

It's indeed present since retail, but MVPs also added damage types so it doesn't happen random anymore.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
aww man, thanks anyway.  Strange that there is no workaround tho. .
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

This is FS, what do you expect? ;)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
FRED has the TBL view button that shows the combined tbl and tbm edits for a selected ship, but there is no option like this for weapons as far as I know.

That would be a nice feature request for FRED: an "export TBM" button that spits out one text file with all the consolidated data for that item.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Actually, I'm pretty sure that beam overpenetration is a retail thing, the MVPs only added the flamy bits that come out alongside the beam on the other side.

Also added that happening at hull percents >0. And it was actually a BP feature that was instantly donated to the MVPs!

It happens quite random, in particular with large beams piercing through small cruisers. Sometimes it doesn't pierce, sometimes it does but no fire spew even with armor and damage type specified.