Author Topic: FSO: "Slaying Ravana" Cyclops Torp Missing  (Read 3786 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FSO: "Slaying Ravana" Cyclops Torp Missing
Just to be sure, is that event in 'The Great Hunt' calling the right weapon names?

Hand editing pilot files isn't possible AFAIK. Hard to say what to do instead- you can of course add the sexp to the mission yourself. Alternatively, just cheat in the bombs when they are missing and you need them.

Just to be sure, is that event in 'The Great Hunt' calling the right weapon names?

The event uses "Cyclops#short", the correct one and the same used in the loadout of Slaying Ravana.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
There might be a line in the campaign save that you can edit.  This is very very odd.

The campaign safes actually don't look like thay colud be edited without a hex editor and an exact idea what to do.

Offline Simoen

To keep playing:
- I should edit the campagn in FRED to enable Cyclops#short by default, then somehow merge that back into the main campaign?

To help debug
- Should I start a new pilot, play up to SM1-06 and then share the pilot file?
- Should I upload my FSO build?  E.g. github or something?

[EDIT]
If finding the cause of the bug will be hard, could FSO remove the requirement for the Cyclops#short qualification in SM1-07 - maybe with a mediaVPs mod?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:13:04 pm by Simoen »

Offline Cyborg17

We may just have to keep asking questions because this one will probably be hard to track down.

Well, what about this. Have you been playing with an FSO build the whole time or did you switch?

- I should edit the campagn in FRED to enable Cyclops#short by default, then somehow merge that back into the main campaign?

You'd have to do that in the mission file; the campaign loadouts are only applied when you start the campaign.

[EDIT]
If finding the cause of the bug will be hard, could FSO remove the requirement for the Cyclops#short qualification in SM1-07 - maybe with a mediaVPs mod?

It has been there since retail, so that's not really an option I'd guess.

Offline Simoen

We may just have to keep asking questions because this one will probably be hard to track down.

Well, what about this. Have you been playing with an FSO build the whole time or did you switch?
FSO build whole time. No recompiles or changes until i hit the bug.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
In an effort to gather more data I've just played through the campaign (skipping all the training missions, and on easy) and I can't repro. i.e. the Cyclops is available in Slaying Ravana.

Do your wingmen have any Cyclops loaded? If you might be able to steal them. Alternatively, you might be able to get past the mission by hiding behind the corvette and waiting until it destroys the Ravana with beam fire? (you might need a higher difficulty level for this to work, so the corvette's beam do more damage, in which case I'd recommend the Medusa because it's the most manoeuvrable bomber you have and thus will probably be easiest to survive in)

Unfortunately there's a few more missions later that require the Cyclops#short, but you could add a sexp into Slaying Ravana that at least allows you to use this future missions? The following should work:

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( true )
   ( allow-weapon "Cyclops#short" )
)
+Name: gimme cyclops
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

Apart from that, maybe a new pilot & replaying the campaign could offer more insight into what's going wrong.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Simoen

In an effort to gather more data I've just played through the campaign (skipping all the training missions, and on easy) and I can't repro. i.e. the Cyclops is available in Slaying Ravana.

Do your wingmen have any Cyclops loaded? If you might be able to steal them. Alternatively, you might be able to get past the mission by hiding behind the corvette and waiting until it destroys the Ravana with beam fire? (you might need a higher difficulty level for this to work, so the corvette's beam do more damage, in which case I'd recommend the Medusa because it's the most manoeuvrable bomber you have and thus will probably be easiest to survive in)

Unfortunately there's a few more missions later that require the Cyclops#short, but you could add a sexp into Slaying Ravana that at least allows you to use this future missions? The following should work:

$Formula: ( when
   ( true )
   ( allow-weapon "Cyclops#short" )
)
+Name: gimme cyclops
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

Apart from that, maybe a new pilot & replaying the campaign could offer more insight into what's going wrong.
0) Thanks niffiwan!  I don't know how to check wingmen loadouts or steal weapons from them.

1) I added that using FRED2 and then checked results in  my modified SM1-07.fs2 -- Could have just pasted it i guess, but i wanted to confirm.  How do i bring the modified mission into the game campaign?

2) I played a second pilot through to SM1-07 and got the same error.  Both pilot files are attached above. I don't see how a third playthrough would be worth the time investment.

How do i merge patched SM1-07.fs2 into the game?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
To take weapons off your wingmen; in the weapon selection screen click on one of your wingmen's ship, then click-and-drag their weapons out of their secondary bays. Or put something else into their secondary bays, like hornets, and the Cyclops (if they have them) might go into the weapons pool. I should note that I'm not sure this will work, because I'm not sure what FSO's behaviour will be in this situation! It may still refuse to load the Cyclops onto your ship.

To add the modified mission, go to the location that the mediavps are stored in (assuming you are using the mediavps!). That should be a location like KNOSSOS_FOLDER/FS2/MVPS-3.8.1. From there, create two folders, data & data/missions. And finally save the modified SM1-07.fs2 file to that location. i.e. the full path to the file should be KNOSSOS_FOLDER/FS2/MVPS-3.8.1/data/missions/SM1-07.fs2

Lastly, I couldn't see a new attachment with both your pilot files?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Simoen

Hello, I created the subdirs in my mediavps, copied the file in.  I verified that the sexp hack was in the file, verbatim, and changed a word in the mission briefing to confirm it gets loaded.  It does load the modified mission.
1974 $Formula: ( when
1975    ( true )
1976    ( allow-weapon "Cyclops#short" )
1977 )
1978 +Name: AddCyclops
1979 +Repeat Count: 1
1980 +Interval: 1
I tried specifying also +Team -1, 0 and 1

However there's no Cyclops on me or my wingmen.

Still, set to very easy I managed to kill Ravana (well the capitol ship did).

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:29:55 pm by Simoen »

Offline Cyborg17

Soooooooo.... I'm hoping beyond hope here, but does anyone still happen to have the campaign file he attached way back in 2019?  :nervous: