Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released  (Read 23019 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released
Movie's probably going to suck because JJ Abrams is a complete hack.

I kinda want to watch it for the visual spectacle on offer, but I also don't have particularely high hopes.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Well of course, after the Prequels it became obvious that George Lucas is pretty much the last person you should listen to on Star Wars.
I think the guys that thought of implying Palpatine was right all along in building a Death Star because of the invaders from another galaxy only he knew about might be better candidates and this just off the top of my head.

Wasn't that a big internet theory for why Revan disappeared in between KotOR and KotOR 2?  Some "unknown threat" from outside the Galaxy?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Well of course, after the Prequels it became obvious that George Lucas is pretty much the last person you should listen to on Star Wars.
I think the guys that thought of implying Palpatine was right all along in building a Death Star because of the invaders from another galaxy only he knew about might be better candidates and this just off the top of my head.

Wasn't that a big internet theory for why Revan disappeared in between KotOR and KotOR 2?  Some "unknown threat" from outside the Galaxy?
That's new.
Wasn't all but stated in KOTOR 2 that it was because of a big Sith Empire in the Unknown Territories? People managed to ignore it?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline theperfectdrugsk

IIRC the way it was phrased was that the "True Sith" were the big secret threat, which were distinct from the Sith we all know and love (whether Darth such-and-such, or the "sith species" from the comic books, and expanded universe.)  So the Vong sort of fit the bill I guess?

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
No one loves the Sith, not even themself. Its all about hate and fear ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Guys we need to ask the most important questions here, the kind that only die-hard fans will ask.

That shot with the Y-wing - if they have  them now how come they never used them in Last Jedi?

Are those Imperial I class star destroyers, not Imp IIs?

Oh look it's that guy that played Merry in LOTR, I like that guy.

What are those horse things and why can they breathe in space?

Ermagerd X-wings and B-wings yay.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Y-Wing...good question. On part may be that they wouldn't have been very effective as the Dreadnought seams to need a lot of bombs to bring down, then again the (forgot the name) has only its bomb capacity speaking for it. Other option could be that they where not stationed there? Most likely it was for the "drama" and there isn't a logical explanation.

Star Destroyers are Imperial I, some seam to have gotten some upgrade in the form of a giant gun where the figherbay was.

Horses -> We know Star Destroyers can operate in atmosphere. My best guess is that this one is stuck in the ice-station-asteroid-thingy and that this...thing...has an atmosphere. There are speculations that this "thing" is artifical and that there might be more stuck inside.

X-W, B-W...nice to see those again.

What I hope that we will see not only a random group of ships against the First Order but also the New Republics Navy makeing an appearance. Sure lot of it got destroyed in the first film but it would be strange if the entire Navy would have been around the planets and not be scattered around the Galaxy.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
After watching the trailer a few more times, I get the feeling I've seen all the best bits and the rest of the film will be filler......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Guys, it's been two years in-story, they didn't have the Y-wings then but they have them now, end of story.

What is it with Star Wars that makes people ask silly questions like that?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Because too many people have watched CinemaSins and think that good critique is the same thing as mindless nitpicking and then declaring a thing to be bad.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't watch CinemaSins because it's dumb and boring. Coincidentally, I felt the same thing about this trailer.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I don't watch CinemaSins because it's dumb and boring. Coincidentally, I felt the same thing about this trailer.

Well the final movie is supposed to be a fitting conclusion to the new trilogy, isn't it?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed. Which means it's likely a Netflix affair for me in 6 months on some cold and lonely night when the wife is out and I'm stuck at home with the kids.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed. Which means it's likely a Netflix affair for me in 6 months on some cold and lonely night when the wife is out and I'm stuck at home with the kids.

you misspelled Disney Plus there

Yeah, that's a bad trailer, and I am not at all optimistic about the movie; JJ Abrams has made a career of launching great franchises and then fumbling the ending in horrible ways or screwing over whoever takes over from him, and I don't think this will be any different.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

I don't understand all the negativity in here, aren't Star Wars movies just about being the biggest rollercoaster rides on the market? Come on, that's all it will ever be, don't be fooled by hacks like Ryan Johnson who maybe thought they could get more than that out of the franchise and be praised for it, what a silly man!

Horses riding on top of a Star Destroyer, I mean WHAT THE **** MORE DO YOU NEED? :D :D :D :D

Seriously now, that moment I just laughed out loud, what a shark jumping moment that was, I have to watch this, no way I'm skipping it.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Because too many people have watched CinemaSins and think that good critique is the same thing as mindless nitpicking and then declaring a thing to be bad.

Hence why I was parodying that particular type of critique. It's not just the Cinemasins effect, an awful lot of SW fans are obsessed with the minutiae to an absurd degree imho. I'm talking about the kind that rattle off weapon yields, such as the rear-mounted laser cannon on a Lambda class shuttle having several megatons of firepower, despite the lack of on-screen evidence and the general absurdity of it. Or how every background character has 13 pages of Wookiepedia material.

I've always loved Star Wars, but it's hard not to view it through the lens of cynicism any more. The film will probably be competent enough.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Haha yeah...I too am an old school star wars fan.  I think I had damn near every book (at least all of them before the Vong series. Definitely all the Zahn books though).  I've never understood why people obsess over all that...nitpicky bull****. I don't know what it is about star wars (and star trek I think, but I only watched DS9) that draws people to do that.

I just want a competent, decent story that I haven't seen before.  Sadly, none of the Disney **** has been anything we haven't seen before.  TLJ tried some new ideas and failed miserably, but even that was a lot of the same old same old.

As much as everyone ****s on the prequels (and rightly so for many reasons) at least they did new-ish things. Granted, their entire story arc was already built into the background of the OG trilogy, but still.  Obviously superhero R2D2 and the Amazing Spiderm- I mean Yoda were dumb, Darth Furniture had a double lightsaber and that was...his character, but I thought seeing Palpatine before he was emperor was brilliant (all the practical issues of a Sith Lord chilling in the midst of the Jedi aside).

Rant over. Movies today make me sad.

Anyone else notice what's inside the giant iceberg?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I just want a competent, decent story that I haven't seen before.  Sadly, none of the Disney **** has been anything we haven't seen before.  TLJ tried some new ideas and failed miserably, but even that was a lot of the same old same old.

I have bad news for you: Big budget cinema is not where you get stories you haven't seen before. Star Wars itself was intentionally and obviously a deeply unoriginal story; What was new about it was the setting, casting and set design.

I will still maintain that, apart from Solo (a movie so deeply uninteresting to me that I haven't seen it yet), the Disney SW movies so far have been uniformly better than the George Lucas films. Rogue One is an unexpectedly brilliant addition to the canon, it's the "adult" Star Wars film that I never knew I wanted. TFA is something of a franchise reboot, a re-statement of the core themes of the original Star Wars before it all got muddled through layers of EU and prequel weirdness, TLJ is a deconstruction of a few lingering pieces of unexamined tropes in SW (the "chosen one" thing, the "lineage" bull**** that ran throughout the EU, the "bold hero is always right" stuff)...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns