Author Topic: Voices in Knossos Install  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Atranen

Voices in Knossos Install
Hi all,

I've been playing FSO and related mods for about a decade now, but this is my first time posting. Thanks for all the excellent work you do!

I recently attempted to install the freespace port through the knossos installer, and noticed the voices (command briefings, in-mission) were not included. I remember they were removed from the game a few years ago as retail FS1 was rereleased. I happen to have bought original FS1, and remember that a few years ago I somehow got the voice files (from there, or maybe an older version of the FSPort) to run.

But, I'm not sure how to replicate whatever I did, and couldn't find instructions (at least ones detailed enough for someone unfamiliar with the architecture of these programs to follow) on how to import these files.

How would you all recommend resolving this issue? Or, is it supposed to do it automatically but an issue with my own knossos install?

Re: Voices in Knossos Install
If you have the original game you could take the *.VP file that contains the voice (only that file, not the others as it most likely will break your install) into your main FS2 folder, but I don't know which file was that, sorry.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The voices were taken out a few versions ago. If you have access to FS1 or an older version of FSPort, you can get the voices there.

IIRC the reason for doing so had something to do with the fact that including the voices basically constituted redistributing a full game for free, something that could have been done years ago when it was abandonware. Obviously, that's no longer the case.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
This thread is full of lies.

Voices are included in the version of FSPort installed through Knossos. Make sure you have stu_fs1.vp installed.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I always recommend looking at the available options that may not be selected by default.

Offline Atranen

Thanks for the advice everyone. I played around with this--it sounded like the files should be included with the Knossos install but were not. I uninstalled FSPort and FSPort MediaVPS, then reinstalled through Knossos, and checked all boxes I saw (i.e. to include everything). This for some reason did not include the voice packs, which were still missing. However, I found I could go to Details-->Options-->Modify through Knossos, and was given an option there to download a number of extras, including the voice packs and HD command briefings. Modifying my installation in this way resolved the issue.

I'm not sure why they weren't included in the options for the base install. It's possible (but unlikely) that I missed them, seeing as I was specifically looking for the voice option.

Thanks again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's interesting.  It's possible that you found a Knossos bug.  There were reports that the GOTY Mission Pack wasn't downloading correctly for some people; this might be the same issue.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Just FYI, the package called "stu" is the voice pack.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
This thread is full of lies.

Voices are included in the version of FSPort installed through Knossos. Make sure you have stu_fs1.vp installed.

That's what I get for always having it available from FS1. :lol:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta