Author Topic: Nebula not so nebulous anymore  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Perry45

Nebula not so nebulous anymore
Hello,

I don't know if its the right sub-froum for this but my nebula is not so nebulous anymore. I can see all ships as shapes ( e.g. Trinity) or dark dots if they are far. I think this is not intended right? Maybe someone can help me?!

The nebula seems to be red (screenshot), but this is only because I did this screenshot, in game it is blue so fine I think.

Has it something to do with my settings? I use the wxLauncher 0.12.0-rc2,  fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2 and the MediaVPs 4.0 with:

C:\Games\Freespace 2\fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2_x64_SSE2.exe -mod "MediaVPs_40X" -nomotiondebris
-3dshockwave -soft_particles -fxaa -smaa -fb_explosions -fb_thrusters -enable_shadows -dualscanlines
-targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash
-ambient_factor 55 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 2.12 -spec_tube 1.2 -bloom_intensity 45 -no_emissive_light

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:25:19 pm by Perry45 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Nebula not so nebulous anymore
Thanks for posting the settings. :yes:

Try the -post_processing flag and see if it makes a difference.

Offline Perry45

Hello,
thanks for your quick respond. I seems that it fixes the problem, but the issue is that it ruins my other settings. So I disabled post_processing on purpose because it seems that my other options are not taken into account, if I enable it.
I like that the ships really dark and only really visible when the sun lights them up and with this flag they are much brighter and easy visible. In my opinion the whole game looks much worse :(

Is it impossible that the flags: -ambient_factor 55 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 2.12 -spec_tube 1.2 -bloom_intensity 45 -no_emissive_light
have no effect when post_processing is turned on??

Well I could set this flag only for the nebula missions, where the other setting play not so a big role anyway, but its really annoying to change it every time -.-

Any suggestions?

€dit: May I can somehow manipulate the post_processing.tbl that only the nebula setting is enabled but my own setting are still in action?! (But I'm not sure if this post_processing.tbl thing is still possible because the wiki says it is somehow outdated??!)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:39:45 am by Perry45 »

I'd love to have the effects specified in the cmdline being specifiable thtough set-postprocessing SEXP, but apparently that would require some work (as it isn't possible right now).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not a graphics coder, so one of them would need to chime in.  But as for your flags:

Is it impossible that the flags: -ambient_factor 55 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 2.12 -spec_tube 1.2 -bloom_intensity 45 -no_emissive_light
have no effect when post_processing is turned on??

The flags should be active for every mission you fly, regardless of whether it's in the nebula or not.

Offline m!m

FYI, with post-processing "-bloom_intensity" has the biggest effect on the brightness. You can also try lowering the ambient_factor.

Offline Perry45

Well, sorry I think you misunderstood me. I said with Post-Processing enabled, the flags seems not to be active anymore. But this is not the case.

I did further testing, you are right the flags are not ignored, but somehow I can't get the look with Post-Processing enabled as I had with no Post-Processing. The brightness is manipulable but I changed the most values from very high to very low and I can't achieve my goal. To be honest the flags make also not really a difference with Post-Processing toggled off, but it's just look better by default xD

I think my main issue is the:
-spec_static
This is a multiplier that adjusts how much suns contribute to specular highlights. Higher numbers mean a greater contribution. For non-PBR models it will make their sun-lit side very shiny and reflective; for PBR models it will make the sun-lit side a lot brighter. There's no flag to control diffuse static lighting so non-PBR models will always have the same amount of light come from suns. Default is 1.0. This is a relative value.

With Post-Processing off, there are this "sun-refelctions" and "dark sides", toggled on I don't really have this effect anymore, the ships are lighted up very "regular" and there are not anymore this darksides and high reflection sides, if you know what I mean :P

Do somebody now what this PBR is about? May it had something to do with Post-Processing? :D

Well, thanks nevertheless.....

I attached 2 screens, is it not perfect, because the second screen is a bit closer, but I think you can see the difference (also  with the asteroids) and the flags are the same (see first post)

Final Edit: I just wanted to say, all in all it's looking fantastic, I don't really want to complain, also found exceptionable settings for me :D

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:39:35 pm by Perry45 »