Author Topic: Music absent in Silent Threat missions  (Read 1640 times)

Music absent in Silent Threat missions
Hello, I'm currently using the FreeSpace port with MediaVPs 3.7.2, and while the main FS1 campaign had no issues whatsoever, the Silent Threat campaign (original, not Reborn) had music for only the first mission. Everything runs fine otherwise, and I can't find any problems with the installation or Knossos launcher, though admittedly I don't completely know what I'd be looking for. I know these missions used to have music and playing them in silence isn't fun. All other sound effects and voices are present, so OpenAL is working fine. Music plays during briefings, just not in-mission.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:24:21 pm by ScarletFairy »

Re: Music absent in Silent Threat missions
I ran a few minutes of the mission I'm on using the fastdebug exe and here is the log:

https://fsnebula.org/log/5e6fc9a2cb0d3321b1c9861b

Of particular note to me is this section, lines 529-538:

MISSION LOAD: 'Md-04.fs2'
Hmmm... Extension passed to mission_load...
Reassigning player to squadron Galactic Terran Intelligence
Someone passed an extension to bm_load for file 'GTI.pcx'
Someone passed an extension to bm_load for file 'gta.pcx'
Someone passed an extension to bm_load for file 'pvn.pcx'
Starting mission message count : 208
Ending mission message count : 214
Current soundtrack set to -1 in event_music_reset_choices
Current soundtrack set to -1 in event_music_set_soundtrack

Don't know much about the inner workings of FSOpen or the FSPort, but wouldn't a -1 in either of these turn off the soundtrack? Idle speculation  :confused:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:15:12 pm by ScarletFairy »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Try hitting F2 in-mission and then exiting the options menu to see if the music starts. Pretty sure you're experiencing a FSO bug.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:35:56 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I tried that just now and it didn't work. I went back into the mission simulator, and the third mission of the campaign has music now, but not the second mission, and the neither does the current mission.

Am I misremembering? Last time I played the original Silent Threat was around ten years ago; maybe some of the missions just don't have music?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think a few of the retail Silent Threat missions don't actually have a soundtrack defined.  Goes to show how QUALITY it was. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Mission 2 in the FSPort VPs has music defined, though. Odd.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

The next missions had music, so yeah, this is just a retail Silent Threat thing lmao

Consider this solved, and thanks for your help!

I think a few of the retail Silent Threat missions don't actually have a soundtrack defined.  Goes to show how QUALITY it was. :p

It's so quality that people thought it needs a rebuilt from scratch. :D