Author Topic: [FotG Update] May the 4th 2020  (Read 8336 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
[FotG Update] May the 4th 2020
May the Fourth be with you! In celebration of Star Wars day, all of us at Fate of the Galaxy want to share what we have been working on for the past several months.

Progress Notes
The B-wing cockpit has been finished and fully implemented. All the Imperial and Rebel starfighters/bombers have full working cockpits and are now using PBR reflect maps (all of this is thanks to Limbert's efforts and skills).

Extensive work has been completed on the secret Project Alderaan and much more is on the way.

New scripts have been added which remove the visible FPS lags seen when a ship arrives.

The B-wing and the Millennium Falcon have been updated with more movie accurate and game enjoyable loadouts and ship statistics.

Dozens of bugs have been fixed regarding missions, gameplay, and visuals since the last newsletter (thanks again to all our beta testers' time and efforts to test the game).

Music tracks have been updated with a bit more of a cinematic feel (thanks to Darius, and of course swashmebuckle for the original compositions).

Many new voice personas have been recorded and added to large ships for both the Imperials and Rebels. Thanks to all those who supplied voice acting!

Multiple SCP features have also been merged that FotG is utilizing to ensure an even more enjoyable gameplay (a continued thank you to all the SCP and Knossos developers, especially Goober). This includes our team using new scripting hooks, ship table options, multiple bug fixes, and tuning the newest lighting flags to achieve that Original Trilogy movie feel. The game manual we have for FotG has also been updated with these revisions.

Community Connections
For our eventual public release, we want everyone to be able to leverage FRED to create any SW missions they can imagine. To aid in that goal, we have created an online manual for use with FotG and FRED which documents all the unique features and scripts that can be used to enhance FotG missions. Furthermore, we have created custom SEXPs that allow for much easier and streamlined capital ship movement control (note, these scripts are already publicly available on HLP).

A massive thanks to Cyborg for all his sustained hard work and dedication on bringing multiplayer into a playable state. He provided us with a test build, and we tested it using FotG. The results were very promising, as for the first time ever a client was able to accurately land shots on a moving target in multiplayer for FotG. Cyborg continues to keep squashing bugs and expanding the work on multiplayer, and all of us are very appreciative of his impressive work.

Moving Forward

If you want to track the latest developments and chatter head over to our Discord Server: https://discord.gg/k7ZMdmt
If you are interested in contributing, please take a look at our needed ships and positions open threads for more information.
Ultimately, we are nearing the final milestones for a public release. Once we have all the final content implemented and polishing completed, we will be extremely excited to share the game with everyone!

Thank you all for the support and interest you have shown throughout the years, and May the Force be With You.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:55:11 am by wookieejedi »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: May the 4th Update 2020
Thank you 👍👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Cool, thanks for the update! :yes:

New scripts have been added which remove the visible FPS lags seen when a ship arrives.

Would it be possible to have them public ASAP? I think pretty much any mod (I'd just put them into the MVPs) would have use for them.

Offline Tnadz

Ripping good work.  Between solid MP (a pipe dream just but a few years ago), a clever set of stock campaigns (that are VERY well done) and Project Alderaan (replayability cranked to 11) this will be an incredible release.  And this is to say nothing of the incredible groundwork that's been laid already in the models, programming, graphics and engine work.  A true masterpiece from all aspects.  Can't wait.

Offline wookieejedi

Thanks everyone, we appreciate all the support!

Would it be possible to have them public ASAP? I think pretty much any mod (I'd just put them into the MVPs) would have use for them.

I can release it, but alas it requires a custom ship to be placed in the mission manually to work and (I think) provides only a benefit to ships that use low memory warpin types like hyperspace.

Ah OK. But even though that might not be the easy way I hoped for, it's great to hear that atleast FotG got rid of that problem. :nod:

I will be getting this beauty of a TC as soon as it hits konssos!  :nod:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I will be getting this beauty of a TC as soon as it hits konssos!  :nod:

Seconded.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Same~

Offline wookieejedi

Thanks! Also just as a mini update here's a video of two new ships that have been added this past week.

Liberty Class Cruiser
Agent_Traitor (Allan Seckora)
Empire at War Remaster Project

U-wing
LarsH
Star Wars Rouge District

That looks amazing :eek:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I noticed that the shield indicator for the U-wing only has the appearance of the deployed S-foils even when the S-foils are not deployed. Is it beyond the ability of the Freespace engine to switch appearances the same way that the target indicator changes appearance from switching between different targets?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline wookieejedi

Yeah at this point it’s not possible to switch shield icons within a ship class. We chose to have it open since the AI will usually have the s foils that way.

Hi,

Please excuse me for this question, I'am new about this forum.

I ask if Fate Of Galaxy will use the official version of FSO at github:

https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com

Or will use a custom modified version of it ?

Offline wookieejedi

Welcome, glad you found us! That's a very good question, FotG is and will continue to use the offical version of FSO at github :) Also if you'd like to see more FotG content or chat/see more info be sure to check out our Discord server here:  https://discord.gg/k7ZMdmt

Offline wesp5

You might want to hurry up with your release, as EA has an announcement on Monday which might be a SW space combat simulator ;)!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
We're aware of it, and we'll be watching. Personally, I'm not worried a little bit. Judging from the (possibly WIP) poster that was leaked, this one will be more like XvT in the sense it's a multiplayer thing. Though multi development is on a roll at FotG right now, we are still making an SP game.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline wookieejedi

Indeed. Also, from the reliable sources and info I'm seeing this game is a bit rushed since EA wants/needs a SW title for the Fall. Also, this title is cross platform so it appears it will be lean towards the more simple side of controls and be more arcady like the new BF2 space combat. I'm guessing it will be released with bugs, and then not supported after 6 months to a year, leaving the niche for SP focused SW space combat remaining wide open.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I hope it includes HD remastering of the 3 Rogue Squadron games.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
I hope it includes HD remastering of the 3 Rogue Squadron games.
A FotG mod could do the non ground missions at least :P

And at least one FSO mod seems to have decent in-atmosphere flight missions (Star Fox: EH)
Potato!