Author Topic: Looking for a new monitor  (Read 1219 times)

Offline RaulAlonso

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Looking for a new monitor
Hello, I am looking to buy a new monitor to replace my old one. I had some pretty bad experience with bad color accuarcy and backlight bleed in the past, so I dont want to go out and just buy the first thing I see. I do work that requires some degree of color accuracy so that would be nice to have. It's not as important as the other factors, but I realized just how bad my last display was when I put it beside my laptop which has good colors. For the size it should be between 21" and 26" maximum and cost is a sadly the biggest factor. 1080p minimum resolution. Any recommendations for which monitors I should look? I would also consider buying a used one, so that's an option too. No need for any features like GSync, 144hz or usb ports. Thanks in advance!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Looking for a new monitor
Best bang-for-buck is a 24" IPS monitor at 1080p.  There are a ton of reviews out there; you'll need to do some reading to check models that fit your precise needs.  The lack of need for gaming features will bring your price down, possibly to the point where you can jump to a QHD/WQHD resolution.

Displayninja is pretty good for generic feature roundups in reviews.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Best bang-for-buck is a 24" IPS monitor at 1080p.  There are a ton of reviews out there; you'll need to do some reading to check models that fit your precise needs.  The lack of need for gaming features will bring your price down, possibly to the point where you can jump to a QHD/WQHD resolution.

Displayninja is pretty good for generic feature roundups in reviews.

this 100%. just make sure to look out for full sRGB color gamut. You may also be able to get some base HDR features as well, depending on your price range

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I can heartily recommend Dell monitors, generally-speaking. Get an IPS 24" (consider 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 if screen real-estate is a factor).

If, like me, you hate reflections, get a matte finish and ignore the claims that the colors aren't vibrant or the image isn't sharp. I have a 43" Philips Momentum 4k glossy flanked by two 24" FullHD matte Dell monitors in portrait orientation. I can best describe the difference between the images thus: With the glossy monitor, I'm looking at imagery enclosed in a reflective screen. With the matte monitors, it's more like I'm looking at imagery that is directly exposed to the air, with nothing in-between.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill