Author Topic: Help with Ancients Vs Shivans Campaign  (Read 1170 times)

Offline unsrm

Help with Ancients Vs Shivans Campaign
Hi Guys,

I have a real headscratcher here that I could use help with.

I have greatly been enjoying the Ancients Versus Shivans campaign , however, I have experienced an absolute show stopping series of bugs, in that communications menu keeps opening constantly no matter what I do during the missions. Unwanted commands include ‘attack my target’ or worse still causing all wingman to depart.
I am about halfway through the second act, and the game has now become unplayable. I did a quick test with the regular freespace 2 campaign and did not notice the same issues.
During load, I do get a warning but the current mode has caused 14 errors , but thus far no mission has failed to load… 
Things I have tried:
1.   Removing all commands in the keyboard menu that relate to these items e.g. shift-j
2.   disconnecting my keyboard and joystick
3.   reinstalling the campaign through Knossos
I have not played freespace in some years, and the last time I did the freespace launcher was still being used so I’m a bit behind . Please help!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Help with Ancients Vs Shivans Campaign
How did you install the mod? I'm assuming it was manual and you accidentally put something where it doesn't belong. Use  Knossos. It's the surest way to play mods without unexpected stuff like you're describing happening.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
If you are using Knossos, can you please run a debug build and post the log?

Go through the Details button in the Explore tab to the detailed page on the mod, go for Options, Run Fast Debug. It should then give you more detailed error messages - if they are related to "mv_effects-shp.tbm" please check this topic for a fix; if you apply that fix you have to run the Fast Debug option again. When running the debug build, go to the mission in question and run it until a problem occurs. Then go back the detailed page and go for Options, Upload Debug Log - please post the link provided.

This should help us narrow down the source of the error.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline unsrm

OK Guys thanks for the help and patience so far.

1. This was all installed with Knossos, no manual tinkering by me!
2. The missing 14 models error was fixed by the link to the other page, however, the comms bug remains so
3. Ran the debug and uploaded file, it crashed before the mission even started this time

https://fsnebula.org/log/5eda27a1cb0d3321adc98629

Thanks!

Offline 0rph3u5

Okay, whats documented in that log appears to be unrelated to the bug report in the OP, but to eliminate it please enable the "Use 3D models for ship selection" flag.

Explaination: It appears that the ASW doesn't have a valid icons/masks for the Loadout Screen, probably because the mod is supposed to be run with the "Use 3D modesl for ship selection" flag enabled by default. From the log I can see that flag is currently not enabled at your end, which causes the new crash.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline unsrm

OK so I restored everything to 'mod default' and got the same error, following your advice on what to add now it runs properly, thanks so much!

Offline 0rph3u5

Curious.

Can you provide a final debug log, please? (It's for my peace of mind, really.)

==================

Offline unsrm

Hmm sorry, I didn't get a notification for this, what would like me to provide? One where it isn't working? I.e revert to my original set up?

Chris