Author Topic: Star Wars: Squadrons  (Read 9577 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Star Wars: Squadrons
I miss the time when Star Wars, somehow, made more sense.

When exactly was that? - Because this is the franchise where the fandom has been trying overexplain a statement, that was supposed to be an obvious boast/falsehood by a crook to intimidate a naive farmboy, so that it was never technically incorrect (and even got an official movie for it from Disney) ever since the first moive - which is longer than many fans are alive.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Jeryko

JBX-Phoenix

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's definitely good looking.   But I won't know how I feel until I get to try it out.

Hope there's a console demo.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

Multiplayer progression has been outlines:
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-ranks-rewards-progression?isLocalized=true

- You get XP and Glory from completing matches.
- You can gain additional Glory from completing a daily rotating laundry list of Challenges.
- Level gains (via XP) give you Requisition Points.

- Glory pays for your cosmetics.
- Requisition Points pay for your Components.

- Additional Cosmetics can be earned through Operations, which are bascially half-seasons of 2 months.

... and there is a representation of how good you are each Operation.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

That sounds f'n miserable.

I'm sure EA will be happy to sell you requisitions and XP boosters for cash.

But of course! EA gonna EA

Offline 0rph3u5

It actually pretty standard, from what I hear from the ppl that play PvP shooters (doesn't sound to different from MOBA progression I know; except with, you know, "spend money on cosemtics because F2P") - the test will be the balance of the components

... except that already made it a selling point that they are not going to do that:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-20-star-wars-squadrons-doesnt-have-microtransactions-isnt-a-live-service-game

==================

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
At launch of couse, Activision pulled the same crap with a Crash Bandicoot game.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

True, but on the other hand, when talking EA it is worth to look at the side of the company that is actually the source of monitisation practices...

... and there has been slight movement on that front recently, going into FIFA 21 - by no means measures that indiciate some kind of major policy change, mind you, but at least there is movement there, e.g. by throwing out mechancis and thus loot box content with poor reception:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-10-ea-has-finally-removed-fitness-items-from-fifa-ultimate-team-for-fifa-21

Now I don't play sports games, because reasons, so I rely heavily on second hand information as effect of such a change - but it is interesting to observe.

Time will tell what it all means.

==================

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
True, but on the other hand, when talking EA it is worth to look at the side of the company that is actually the source of monitisation practices...

... and there has been slight movement on that front recently, going into FIFA 21 - by no means measures that indiciate some kind of major policy change, mind you, but at least there is movement there, e.g. by throwing out mechancis and thus loot box content with poor reception:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-10-ea-has-finally-removed-fitness-items-from-fifa-ultimate-team-for-fifa-21

Now I don't play sports games, because reasons, so I rely heavily on second hand information as effect of such a change - but it is interesting to observe.

Time will tell what it all means.

The EU and former EU governments have been increasingly hostile to lootboxes and FIFA has a huge market there.
Still never underestimate the deadly mixture of greed and stupidity of triple ayyy gaming companies.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

Well, we will see, won't we?

However, I wouldn't bet my money on government regulation being the (singular) effective antidote, despite the fact I will welcome it as neccessary and overdue.

I suspect whatever comes of Epic v Apple-case next year will have a huge impact on the future of microtransactions. Even if it is settled out-of-court it is bound to have some ripple effects on the buisness relationships that allow microtransactions to work.

==================

It actually pretty standard, from what I hear from the ppl that play PvP shooters (doesn't sound to different from MOBA progression I know; except with, you know, "spend money on cosemtics because F2P") - the test will be the balance of the components

Just because it's common doesn't make it sound any less miserable.

Few games actually benefit from having half a dozen skinner box progress meters.  Further, I doubt EA's sincerity, since the main purpose of all of these out-of-place currencies and progress bars is to monetize them.

Offline 0rph3u5

Then hit them were it hurts instead of whining about when its about the glorified techdemo that exists so EA can simulate innovation to their investors...

Just saying this:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-27-fans-hit-out-at-ea-for-promoting-fifa-microtransactions-in-magazines-for-children

will be more relevant to changing EA's direction towards microtransaction than signaling your antagonism here.

==================

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I am going to get this game.  The only question is when - do I wait a few months for a sale, or buy it at launch?  If the latter, I may as well pre-order to get the cosmetic bonuses, although I have never cared about cosmetic items in any game.  I was hoping for a Play First trial, where I could play before the actual launch, but the only Play First i see in Origin is for Madden 21.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Indeed. There were multiple YTers who got to play and record gameplay in July, so I think that was the strategy this time. Also as an FYI you can get the game on Steam too, which is handy for the primarily Steam users.

Offline 0rph3u5

Early Reviews are coming in...

... fun little thing I noticed because it is all too familiar, the AI seems to have some of the same problems with "not crashing into stationary objects" that the Freespace 2 AI has - a true appeal to the nostaliga in the hearts of Space Combat Sim Enthusiasts :D

==================

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I did the tutorial and the first mission, there is apparently an imperial pilot named Mareek Steele and a pilot named Ace Azzameen among the rebels, who knew? ;)
I wish they’d have let me bind the controls before starting the game, fortunately you can do that in the hangar before taking off the first time (as well as you can only activate the Vsync then instead of having the option in the menu you get before starting the game, the initial cutscene was tearing like crazy in points), the approach to the campaign gives a lot of Wing Commander vibes.
I still have to get the hang of the way the game works and might revise my HOTAS bindings accordingly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:02:49 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I have it pre-loaded on PC but it's not available for another 2 hours (11:00 PM CDT).  I have to be up early tomorrow so I doubt I'll stay up to try it out tonight.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ace Azzameen among the rebels, who knew? :wink:

Uncle Anton told him not to get involved......  😭
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png