Author Topic: PSA: FSO compatibility with Windows 10 ver.2004 (May 2020 Update) feature  (Read 760 times)

PSA: FSO compatibility with Windows 10 ver.2004 (May 2020 Update) feature
Hi all, just wanted to post here to notify/ discuss with anyone who might be having the same issue.
Recently, Windows 10 was updated to version 2004 "May 2020" update and NVIDIA released the 451 GameReady driver update for 1600 and 2000 series GPU's. A new feature supported by these updates is the "Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling" feature that allows the GPU to manage its own memory instead of Windows itself. In my experience, enabling this feature breaks FSO in that it causes crashes due to not being able to access the video memory. The crashes in the log are attributed to the page file and memory access violations that only occur when using this feature, so this leads me to believe that GPU scheduling is the cause. If anyone has any insight into the issue, please feel free to elaborate.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PSA: FSO compatibility with Windows 10 ver.2004 (May 2020 Update) feature
I think it's you who has to elaborate a bit more. I ran a quick test on my end just now; I'm on Win 10 Pro 2004, using the 451.48 driver with an RTX 2070, and it seems to work just fine. Please reproduce the crash with a debug or fastdebug build and post the log here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns