Author Topic: Variables?  (Read 1602 times)

Could somebody who exactly knows what's going on update the wiki article on variables? I know there was a major change a while ago, but I dunno how stuff exactly works so I can't do it myself. Last update was in Feb 2013, article is completely obsolete right now.
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Variable

Apart from that, Mobius wanted to know which variable variant is required to load the hull strength on a ship in the next mission.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Sure. Mobius should use `Save on Mission Complete` Also a new feature is if you hover over the variables it will give more info in FRED.

EDIT: Wiki updated.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:10:57 pm by wookieejedi »

Awesome, many thanks for that! :) :yes:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Thanks for the details. On a side note, I was actually looking for campaign-persistent variables. We used to have those but they no longer show up in the latest FRED builds.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline wookieejedi

`campaign-persistent` variables are now `Save on Mission Complete`. Eternal variables are what `player-persistent` should have been, and `Save on Mission Close` are a new type to cover additional cases.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
`campaign-persistent` variables are now `Save on Mission Complete`. Eternal variables are what `player-persistent` should have been, and `Save on Mission Close` are a new type to cover additional cases.

Slightly wrong. Save on Mission Close are what player-persistent variables were when persistent variables were originally added. A bug changed the way they worked a couple of years ago. Eternal is a flag you can add to BOTH Save on Mission Complete and Save on Mission Close to tell the game to not delete that variable even if the campaign ends or a different campaign is started.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:56:45 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wookieejedi

Ah that makes sense, thank you for the correction. I have also updated the wiki with your clarifications.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I ended up using is-previous-event-true SEXPs, though I will definitely take a look at the newer variable options and use them in case of future circumstances of this kind. Many things have changed since my FREDding sprees from a decade ago - at first, I was kind of puzzled but I will get used to all of these improvements.  :nod:

Thanks for the explanations, they've all been quite detailed.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]