Author Topic: [DEMO Release (0.2.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
[DEMO Release (0.2.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Heyya everybody,

that is the time, where i can present the first update for the first NTP Demo :-).

What is new in this 0.2.1 update?
- Inclusion of the French translation files.
- Version 1.2.1-NTP of the Language Selector is included, which actually replaced the "english" with a "default" setting as it is theoretically possible, that another english translation could be present later (British English i.e.). So default is used, to disable any translation.
- Some changes in the mv_root-hdg.tbm, so that the other values from the font.tbl are correctly used.
- Changed a Value in the NTP AI Profile which should fix the error of missing text.
- SM1-02 can now be played.
- Translateable variables are now correctly used.

What are the Contents of this Demo?
- Every table that is used by MediaVPs 4.3.X was prepared for translation.
- Every Act 1 Mission from FreeSpace 2's main campaign was prepared for translation. (Act 1 is also known as FreeSpace 2: Colossus)
- Subtitle files for all three Act 1 Cutscenes.

Which languages are included?
- A full French translation by Achille44.
- A full German translation by myself.
- A full Spanish translation by Alex Navarro where i fixed all accent symbols and added all missing entries with the help of my sister and a spanish dictionary.
- A (incomplete) Japanese translation by Komet & Nikigori where i added the proper formatting in c-/de-/missionbriefs aswell i added some names for in-mission names with the help of a japanese dictionary.

What is different to the original FreeSpace 2?
- I splitted up three training messages (and their voice files) into two individual messages each, as even the original messages were already too long to be displayed in the training message gauge.
- Fixed the formatting in Command- aswell Debriefings. In the command briefings FreeSpace2 used the wrong color code, so that it was not visible. And debriefings did not have any color formatting whatsoever.
- For the Translations Date and Location Information were added into the first CBrief Page. So these missions take place from 11th May 2367 to around 02nd June 2367.

What problems are still present?
- Even i have included string ids for wing names and jump nodes, there are not used right now. There are only present for later use, hopefully.
- Due to engine-restrictions that are present right now, there is no All-in-One package unfortunately.
- The Demo lacks language specific hud_gauges and coordinates for the context sensitive help system because of this also. However, these files are present in the developer package.
- There is a error message at the start of the game if you play it with the japanese translation. As far as i can tell i was not able to find any negative effects. But of course i hope to fix that in future versions.
- The game will crash if a key with a special character (Ä,Ñ etc.) is used for a function that is explicitly stated in the training missions. So play training missions with the default key configuration or simple skip them. Outside of training missions, there should not be a problem.

Non Game-Related Stuff
- The newest version of my small Language Selector is included. It was expanded, so that Spanish and Japanese can be selected. Also i changed many in the execution of the program so that the Save- and Load Feature is not necessary anymore. However, this version does not support Portable Mode anymore!

DOWNLOAD:
Player Package:
NTP Root (Version 0.2.1) (698.49 KB) - Includes the Core files, which are the tables and missions, that were prepared for NTP so far. The Language Selector is also included.
LANGUAGE ADDON PACKAGES
Only one of these packages can be used simultaneously.
NTP EFGIS Package (Version 0.2.1) (323.51 KB) - EFGIS stands for English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. This package not only includes the subtitles for the three Act I cutscenes for the untranslated game, but also the complete French, German, and Spanish translation is included, aswell all settings that are needed for most other Latin-based languages.
NTP JP Package (Version 0.2.1) (3.34 MB) - This package includes the Japanese translation aswell all settings and the font that is needed for that.

Developer Package:
NTP Developer Package (Version 0.2.1) (380.57 MB) - This Package actually includes all of the above, next to some tools that can help in creation of own translations and a Read Me Document. Next to NTP_Root.vp all translation related files are extracted in subfolders for the different languages. With this package i try to offer the possibilty to create own translations as fast and as easy as possible. Of course it can be used to expand already available languages aswell :). If you are developing or expnding a translation, i would like that you share your results, so that your development can be integrated here :).

Installation:
Extract the archives into the FreeSpace2 folder and use your Launcher of choice to launch the game. The language selector is available in its own folder and should be self-explanatory as it offer a German and English speaking interface.
Alternatively, all packages are also available on Knossos aswell.

Visual Impressions:

Greetings,

Novachen

Original topic:

Heyya everybody,

not sure, if this is the right forum, but well, it is about changed game and mod files and so it qualifies as modding ;).

some of you may know, that i have released several german translations for FreeSpace 2 and FreeSpace Port campaigns over the course of the last years.
During the development of them some conceptual errors were made. So at the beginning of the FreeSpace 2 retranslation in 2019 i decided to scrap the development and go back to the drawing board.

The result of this is the NTP which i am unveiling now.

What NTP stands for?
No idea, it never got an official full title. Feel free to call it how you like. How sounds New Thoughts Process to you?
First title was Novachen's Translation Project by the way... boring, i know

What is NTP?
NTP is actually an effort to create a translation library for FreeSpace campaigns.
To be more precise, the goal is, that every FreeSpace campaign can be fully translated into several languages with the use of only few files.
The idea actually goes back to one of the first drafts of my FreiRaum translation project, that could not be realized due to the string id limit in the tstrings.tbl back then.
For differentiation to this draft is, that FreiRaum only had its focus on the german language, but not for the other ones.

However especially thanks to m!m i was able to request and to include some localization features, which also include the deactivation of the string limit at all. Now it is possible to bring most text of all mods into one string file.

In the end, i try to offer a much better structure for translation efforts with NTP, as the main task is the creation of unique id ranges for the individual mods.
For that i edit the tables and mission files of the mods to add the right string id into them. To make that even more easy, it would be my wish, that these changed tables and mission files are taken over into official releases of the mod if the mod is still be maintained.
(Even i fear that this one is very unlikely to happen in some cases, as I am not very appreciated as a person here.)

The best case would be, that NTP offer only a single (t)strings.tbl to download which contain all correct string entries, that people can easily translate into their prefered language.
Of course, that will be not be the case. Not only because of the countless mods that are not maintained anymore, where i am forced to offer the whole mod, but also because of some files that need to be language specific (HUD graphics are a good example for them, as some translated text does not fit into the boxes)

So i will offer Translation Templates for some mods later people can use to play a mod in english or to use that for translation.
For the translation i make use of many annoted sections in the translation table, to make it as easy understandable as possible for people other than myself.
As i am using NTP for my own german translation that is nearly developed simultaneously, i make sure, that these templates provide all strings and also files that have to be translateable.

Status of NTP?
Current NTP work is still FreeSpace 2 Sim of the Year Edition with Multiplayer Package on MediaVPs 4.3.X, which is the base for everything that will follow.
At the moment the first act of the FreeSpace 2 campaign is being NTP'ed (can i call it that way?). That means, that all tables are finished.

I hope to finish that whole FreeSpace2 project by the end of the year. (A very ambitious deadline as i only have 90 days left for that)

Will there be a NTP for Standalones?
Not decided yet, but FreeSpace2 has priority right now.
Ask me in 10 years. Then i can tell you if NTP was ever able to leave FreeSpace behind  :lol:.

But to be serious. NTP's priority is currently the same as it was for FreiRaum. (Good) Voiced Mods and Big Projects first. That always included Standalones for me. So i do believe that this is very likely to happen in the future. But FreeSpace's NTP should start to roll first.

Greetings,

Novachen
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:39:55 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here or on Twitter, a public tweet @NovachenFS2 or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

That's a nice endeavor :)

Offline starlord

Weren’t there problems with the fonts? Namely special characters like the umlaut? I thought that was a barrier for translation...

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Weren’t there problems with the fonts? Namely special characters like the umlaut? I thought that was a barrier for translation...

That was always only a problem with True Type Fonts or custom VF files.
But during a previous translation of a mod that uses TTF i was able to fix that together with m!m (he did most of the coding work i requested).
So that is not an issue anymore as long the used TTF file supports them (some actually do not, but that is a problem in the TTF then).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:37:04 am by Novachen »

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here or on Twitter, a public tweet @NovachenFS2 or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline starlord

So out of curiosity, would it be possible in the future to insert other characters like Cyrillic or kanji? Just a question mind you...

What I’m saying is that if there are other translation efforts in the future and that said translations are technically readable, freespace SCP might get a major popularity boost in the future.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
So out of curiosity, would it be possible in the future to insert other characters like Cyrillic or kanji? Just a question mind you...

What I’m saying is that if there are other translation efforts in the future and that said translations are technically readable, freespace SCP might get a major popularity boost in the future.

If you use a specific ttf file for that it should be already possible.
Look at the Japanese Localization Mod. (You can still download it via Dropbox)

Even that is a different approach to that what i am trying to establish here. In Nikogoris Mod the english text was simply replaced with the japanese one.
I hope with NTP that is not needed anymore, it is intended to work as an additional working language that can be activated by the language entry in the fs2open.ini.
In this way, it would not affect the mod files in any way after the right IDs were included. So a mod developer could even update the mod and the translation would still work.

However for non-latin based languages you also need a specific TTF that uses the needed characters of course. Additionally a own fonts.tbl that defies that ttf is needed, too.

I mean, is there a demand, maybe a enhancement of the fonts.tbl can be requested where you can set up different font files for different languages.  :blah:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:18:14 am by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well, next to he german translation i am working on myself i simultaneously try also to implement all already existing translation projects into NTP, so that they can serve as a base to be finished or expanded aswell.

Next to the said Japanese translation which is FS2 retail only i also got my hands on the files from the spanish translation project which includes complete FreeSpace Port and Silent Threat: Reborn aswell.
There seems to be an in-progress french translation project also at the moment. However i did not got in touch yet. Even i have the retail french translation from my multi-language DVD release, even it also includes the retail FS2 stuff and nothing from the SOTY.

However i do not have any polish text except from the Polish files from FSPort. Anyone can help me with the Polish text files from FS2?
If it works like in any other language release, the polish strings.tbl and polish tstrings.tbl would be enough. To be fail-safe i would like to have the font01.vf also.

As I started to work on French translations on my side, I would be interested in contributing to the French part of your "Neo Translation Project"  :D

How do you plan to release these translations in future? Will they be directly available through Knossos?

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
As I started to work on French translations on my side, I would be interested in contributing to the French part of your "Neo Translation Project"  :D

Would like to see that :).

How far is your translation of the FS2 campaign? Even my strings.tbl is complete, my tstrings.tbl cover only all tables and every mission up to SM1-06 so far.
I planned a Demo release after i finished the first Act with SM1-10 (because i always offered Beta releases after i reached specific milestones in the german translation, too)
Is that soon enough for you or do you want the current indev version already, so that you can implement all of your french strings into NTP right now?
Would send you them via PM. We should get in touch anyway to organize ourselves to share our data. Dropbox, Google Drive etc.

How do you plan to release these translations in future? Will they be directly available through Knossos?

So far i only planned to offer the Templates on Knossos which can be used for own translations. And full releases of mods that are not maintained anymore, because there is no one who add the string ids into the mod files. :D
By manual means you simple could add NTP into the secondarylist of mod.ini and the translations would work.

On Knossos, maybe all mods which were made NTP-compatible and included the proper IDs into the mod files can add NTP as an Dependency. (which could be also made optional to download if it used as a dependency for an optional package, whatever).

As this one is mostly a development thing, they will be offered here aswell, of course.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:41:05 am by Novachen »

How far is your translation of the FS2 campaign?

So far strings.tbl is complete, most of the tables, and missions up to SM1-07.

Don't worry I can wait for your demo release.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
I do not think, that this is something special.  :D
But i thought i could show nevertheless, that the multi-language interface works with all special characters  without a problem if they have proper string IDs.

German & Spanish:

Good thing about latin-based languages is, that they will work with the same font most of the time as they share the same special characters.
Only problem so far is, that FS2 does only support string ids that are marked as German, French or Polish.
So spanish use the French language setting at the moment. But because of Achille's translation i most likely will change that to Polish, as so the three most prominent languages right now can be used together.
Currently it is not possible to use more than three translations at once.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:52:06 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Time for a update.

FreeSpace 2's Act 1 is actually finished. Need only minor fixes. The german translation is done, too. It only need the final spellcheck.

Currently i am preparing the spanish and japanese translation and adapt that into NTP's IDs. Spanish is nearly finished, in this case i actually filled up all left english pieces with spanish ones i have translated myself with the help of several translator tools and consulting with my sister who learned spanish some years ago.
The translation will not be very good, for sure. But better than nothing. Fortunately Alex Navarro's one is pretty comprehensive, so we are talking about a few missing entries i added.

Japanese however will be have many english pieces as the translation was mostly done for missions only. Maybe someone is interested to pick it up :).

Think the first public release will be available during the coming days.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:35:55 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [IN DEVELOPMENT] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Uh, actually i have to admit, that i was totally wrong before.

It is possible to include new languages next to the three established ones.
So Spanish is now usable with a Spanish Language Setting aswell Japanese can be played with a Japanese one.

But Knossos does not support that right now, which will make a Knossos release somekind of difficult.
So far i am only able to offer an expanded version of my old language changer program. :lol:

Other problems are still present, that will still force me to offer specific language packages like the Japanese one instead to have an usable whole multi+X package.
Fonts.tbl actually have the support to set language specific font files... unfortunately this Feature does not support Unicode  :o.

But that would be actually a non-issue, as there is also a feature, that is able to use files in a subfolder that is named after the extension of the desired language... theoretically.
but well, that Feature does not seem to be more than rudimentary implemented. :wtf:
Japanese did not find the font.tbl i had in the data\tables\jp\ folder, also German did not use the changed Kill Gauge from data\hud\de and the HUD aswell Help configuration from data\tables\de...

Have to admit, that i have no idea how that one is working exactly, or if this one is working at all. Maybe one of the devs can tell me more about that, as i did not really found out big clues from the source code itself.
So far, in older threads this feature was only about multi-language voice files. That was a present feature in retail, however it was not fully implemented. Maybe SCP only fixed that... but nothing more.

News from the release front:
Spanish integration is complete.
Japanese tables were adapted into NTP aswell. Right now only the japanese missions from Act 1 are missing :).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: [IN DEVELOPMENT] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Glad to hear of further progress on the Spanish translation.  :yes:

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [DEMO Release] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Demo is there  :)

Nice :) I am now working to include my translation.

Here is my French translation adapted to ntp. So far it's working quite well. I just reduced the size of the Main font to 14 on my side as it was closer to the original.

However, I found several bugs during my tests:
- "Error: EINVAL: String error" when trying to access the Mission Simulator menu.
- Mission SM1-02 can't be loaded.
- Some dialogues are not triggered in several missions, especially in SM1-03.
- In training missions, "Invalid UTF-8" errors appear when trying to display some shortkeys (when the key name includes special characters).
- The target's hull integrity below the reticle is not centered.
- In most missions, the translations of alt ship class (for ntf ships) are not displayed.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Mh, interesting.

Have to say, that i playtested only some missions, but not all of them. (But started everyone) Seems, that i left out the training missions completely :/.
Actually i have no idea why some dialogues are not triggered, as i did not changed anything at them.  :confused:

For the not loading mission, only explaination could be that the said mission slipped in from my own Development Branch into the release one in preparation of the 0.2 package.

Will look into that tomorrow, as i have to release a new version with the french translation. Thanks for it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:06:41 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Some specific response.

I just reduced the size of the Main font to 14 on my side as it was closer to the original.

Mhh? reduced to 14? My own fonts.tbl was 14 already?!
Maybe i packed the wrong table in the package...  :wtf:

- "Error: EINVAL: String error" when trying to access the Mission Simulator menu.

I can not confirm that. No idea. Did not have this problem with your files. :confused:

Mission SM1-02 can't be loaded.
Confirmed and fixed.

Some dialogues are not triggered in several missions, especially in SM1-03.

Confirmed. Seems that this only effects #Command messages in some missions. Have to say, that this is not caused by NTP. Looks more like a bug in the "Override #Command in event messages" flag. The game already freaks out if i activate this flag for MVP4X SM1-03. Does not seem to work with the Scramble Mission flag. In other missions, that feature worked however.
I think i will go back to Variable Translation for #Command like i did in previous translations until this feature is fixed. Fortunately i have enough placeholders for non-mission-specific text :).

In training missions, "Invalid UTF-8" errors appear when trying to display some shortkeys (when the key name includes special characters).
Good catch... can confirm that and yes, i got this exactly for a training message were i rebinded a function to a special character key (ö in my case).
Never noticed that, because german does not use controls in the training missions that were binded to special characters by default... but does not looks like i am able to fix that. I did not get a crash after i deleted the [Press $key$] entry in the training message however. Unicode-mode bug maybe?
Controls seem to be problematic, as special character keys are invisible in the settings at all.

The target's hull integrity below the reticle is not centered.
Mh, that reason is simple because a different font and size is used. Japanese looks different in this case also. But well, could be fixed by a EFGIS and Japanese specific hud-table. Maybe it will be included into 0.3.

In most missions, the translations of alt ship class (for ntf ships) are not displayed.
Interestingly... i only encountered that in SM1-03 too, where this problem seems to be connected with the other problem said above.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:27:01 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [DEMO Release (0.2.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
I have uploaded an update.

This should nearly fix all reported issues. Also the french translation was included.
Only problem left is, that the game will crash if a "special character" key is used for a function that is covered by the Training Missions. So play Training Missions with the default key configuration or simple skip them.

Changelog:
• Inclusion of the French translation files.
• Version 1.2.1-NTP of the Language Selector is included, which actually replaced the "english" with a "default" setting as it is theoretically possible, that another english translation could be present later (British English i.e.). So default is used, to disable any translation.
• Some changes in the mv_root-hdg.tbm, so that the other values from the font.tbl are correctly used.
• Changed a Value in the NTP AI Profile which should fix the error of missing text.
• SM1-02 can now be played.
• Translateable variables are now correctly used.