that is the time, where i can present the first update for the first NTP Demo :-).What is new in this 0.2.1 update?
- Inclusion of the French translation files.
- Version 1.2.1-NTP of the Language Selector is included, which actually replaced the "english" with a "default" setting as it is theoretically possible, that another english translation could be present later (British English i.e.). So default is used, to disable any translation.
- Some changes in the mv_root-hdg.tbm, so that the other values from the font.tbl are correctly used.
- Changed a Value in the NTP AI Profile which should fix the error of missing text.
- SM1-02 can now be played.
- Translateable variables are now correctly used.What are the Contents of this Demo?
- Every table that is used by MediaVPs 4.3.X was prepared for translation.
- Every Act 1 Mission from FreeSpace 2's main campaign was prepared for translation. (Act 1 is also known as FreeSpace 2: Colossus)
- Subtitle files for all three Act 1 Cutscenes.Which languages are included?
- A full French translation by Achille44.
- A full German translation by myself.
- A full Spanish translation by Alex Navarro where i fixed all accent symbols and added all missing entries with the help of my sister and a spanish dictionary.
- A (incomplete) Japanese translation by Komet & Nikigori where i added the proper formatting in c-/de-/missionbriefs aswell i added some names for in-mission names with the help of a japanese dictionary.What is different to the original FreeSpace 2?
- I splitted up three training messages (and their voice files) into two individual messages each, as even the original messages were already too long to be displayed in the training message gauge.
- Fixed the formatting in Command- aswell Debriefings. In the command briefings FreeSpace2 used the wrong color code, so that it was not visible. And debriefings did not have any color formatting whatsoever.
- For the Translations Date and Location Information were added into the first CBrief Page. So these missions take place from 11th May 2367 to around 02nd June 2367.What problems are still present?
- Even i have included string ids for wing names and jump nodes, there are not used right now. There are only present for later use, hopefully.
- Due to engine-restrictions that are present right now, there is no All-in-One package unfortunately.
- The Demo lacks language specific hud_gauges and coordinates for the context sensitive help system because of this also. However, these files are present in the developer package.
- There is a error message at the start of the game if you play it with the japanese translation. As far as i can tell i was not able to find any negative effects. But of course i hope to fix that in future versions.
- The game will crash if a key with a special character (Ä,Ñ etc.) is used for a function that is explicitly stated in the training missions. So play training missions with the default key configuration or simple skip them. Outside of training missions, there should not be a problem.Non Game-Related Stuff
- The newest version of my small Language Selector is included. It was expanded, so that Spanish and Japanese can be selected. Also i changed many in the execution of the program so that the Save- and Load Feature is not necessary anymore. However, this version does not support Portable Mode anymore!DOWNLOAD:Player Package:NTP Root (Version 0.2.1)
(698.49 KB) - Includes the Core files, which are the tables and missions, that were prepared for NTP so far. The Language Selector is also included.LANGUAGE ADDON PACKAGES
Only one of these packages can be used simultaneously.NTP EFGIS Package (Version 0.2.1)
(323.51 KB) - EFGIS stands for English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. This package not only includes the subtitles for the three Act I cutscenes for the untranslated game, but also the complete French, German, and Spanish translation is included, aswell all settings that are needed for most other Latin-based languages.NTP JP Package (Version 0.2.1)
(3.34 MB) - This package includes the Japanese translation aswell all settings and the font that is needed for that.Developer Package:NTP Developer Package (Version 0.2.1)
(380.57 MB) - This Package actually includes all of the above, next to some tools that can help in creation of own translations and a Read Me Document. Next to NTP_Root.vp all translation related files are extracted in subfolders for the different languages. With this package i try to offer the possibilty to create own translations as fast and as easy as possible. Of course it can be used to expand already available languages aswell
. If you are developing or expnding a translation, i would like that you share your results, so that your development can be integrated here
Extract the archives into the FreeSpace2 folder and use your Launcher of choice to launch the game. The language selector is available in its own folder and should be self-explanatory as it offer a German and English speaking interface.
Alternatively, all packages are also available on Knossos aswell
not sure, if this is the right forum, but well, it is about changed game and mod files and so it qualifies as modding
some of you may know, that i have released several german translations for FreeSpace 2 and FreeSpace Port campaigns over the course of the last years.
During the development of them some conceptual errors were made. So at the beginning of the FreeSpace 2 retranslation in 2019 i decided to scrap the development and go back to the drawing board.
The result of this is the NTP which i am unveiling now.What NTP stands for?
No idea, it never got an official full title. Feel free to call it how you like. How sounds New Thoughts Process
to you?First title was Novachen's Translation Project by the way... boring, i knowWhat is NTP?
NTP is actually an effort to create a translation library for FreeSpace campaigns.
To be more precise, the goal is, that every FreeSpace campaign can be fully translated into several languages with the use of only few files.
The idea actually goes back to one of the first drafts of my FreiRaum translation project, that could not be realized due to the string id limit in the tstrings.tbl back then.
For differentiation to this draft is, that FreiRaum only had its focus on the german language, but not for the other ones.
However especially thanks to m!m i was able to request and to include some localization features, which also include the deactivation of the string limit at all. Now it is possible to bring most text of all mods into one string file.
In the end, i try to offer a much better structure for translation efforts with NTP, as the main task is the creation of unique id ranges for the individual mods.
For that i edit the tables and mission files of the mods to add the right string id into them. To make that even more easy, it would be my wish, that these changed tables and mission files are taken over into official releases of the mod if the mod is still be maintained.(Even i fear that this one is very unlikely to happen in some cases, as I am not very appreciated as a person here.)
The best case would be, that NTP offer only a single (t)strings.tbl to download which contain all correct string entries, that people can easily translate into their prefered language.
Of course, that will be not be the case. Not only because of the countless mods that are not maintained anymore, where i am forced to offer the whole mod, but also because of some files that need to be language specific (HUD graphics are a good example for them, as some translated text does not fit into the boxes)
So i will offer Translation Templates for some mods later people can use to play a mod in english or to use that for translation.
For the translation i make use of many annoted sections in the translation table, to make it as easy understandable as possible for people other than myself.
As i am using NTP for my own german translation that is nearly developed simultaneously, i make sure, that these templates provide all strings and also files that have to be translateable.Status of NTP?
Current NTP work is still FreeSpace 2 Sim of the Year Edition with Multiplayer Package on MediaVPs 4.3.X, which is the base for everything that will follow.
At the moment the first act of the FreeSpace 2 campaign is being NTP'ed (can i call it that way?). That means, that all tables are finished.
I hope to finish that whole FreeSpace2 project by the end of the year. (A very ambitious deadline as i only have 90 days left for that)Will there be a NTP for Standalones?
Not decided yet, but FreeSpace2 has priority right now.
Ask me in 10 years. Then i can tell you if NTP was ever able to leave FreeSpace behind
But to be serious. NTP's priority is currently the same as it was for FreiRaum. (Good) Voiced Mods and Big Projects first. That always included Standalones for me. So i do believe that this is very likely to happen in the future. But FreeSpace's NTP should start to roll first.