Author Topic: Is anyone experimenting with ray tracing in FSO?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Zarax

Is anyone experimenting with ray tracing in FSO?
As both nvidia and AMD (plus Intel next year) now support ray tracing, it might be a good time to start thinking about an implementation in FSO.
It's not exactly a feature request but rather an inquiry about the possible benefit of such rendering approach in the game.

Is there any aspect of the rendering that could give a significant visual improvement?
I would hazard a guess that shadows might be an extremely limited benefit (after all, most of the game plays on a predominantly dark background) but global illumination might be more immersive.

What do you guys think?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Is anyone experimenting with ray tracing in FSO?
I think that, while this is an interesting field to experiment with, the first thing that needs to get done before we can even consider starting experiments is for Vulkan support to become functional, and of course, for khronos to finish designing an official raytracing spec for vulkan.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I cannot fathom how this would be worth the effort to implement or the processing power to activate. You're in SPACE! There's almost nothing to reflect other than the skybox environment which we've been doing for years, and there's almost no reflective surfaces anyway.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zarax

I suspected as much but it was instructive to hear from the experts.
Thank you!
The Best is Yet to Come