Author Topic: EPIC game Store EULA  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Lorric

I was bummed that Ghostbusters seems to have remained Epic-exclusive, since I've managed to avoid giving them any of my money thus far, but if they're just going to hand it to me who am I to refuse?
That Ghostbusters game has been on my radar for years, but I refused. Because I was so disgusted by Epic's new End User Agreement (basically you agree they can **** you over any way they want with impunity) when I went to get it. I already would never have bought anything from them, with them making you waive your 14 day return right for a mere 2 hours, but was happy to support game devs by putting money in their pockets by picking up these games, but now even that's too much, they don't deserve to be rewarded for doing business with such a terrible company.

This is why we break up monopolies. I've diligently snapped up Epic's free games almost every week since I became aware of them, but those days are over.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Split from Free Games; this is not what that thread is for but if people want to discuss here, go nuts.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lol at the notion that the EGS is in any way a monopoly.

EDIT:

Kinda curious what you mean by Epic's new EULA though. Looking through it, it doesn't seem all that different from standard EULAs; YMMV depending on jurisdiction of course.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:57:47 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I already would never have bought anything from them, with them making you waive your 14 day return right for a mere 2 hours

This is the same that Steam does no?

Lol at the notion that the EGS is in any way a monopoly.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:53:22 am by -Joshua- »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I mean, I've known whether or not I liked a game enough to continue playing it after way less than two hours for most of the games I played.

I think GOG's policy is far better, but they're already a niche. I'm just pointing out because it's weird to critique Epic for doing the same thing Steam is doing.

Offline Luis Dias

I still remember the good old days when if you bought a game you weren't happy with, tough luck.

Nowadays, apparently, people don't like it when they can play a game for two hours before deciding yay or nay.

I already would never have bought anything from them, with them making you waive your 14 day return right for a mere 2 hours,

dude it's literally the exact same refund policy steam has, epic are just more up front in telling you the policy

it's properly bizarre how the Gamer Backlash against the EGS is materially just the Steam Monopoly Volunteer Defence Corps
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I simply don't care for the way Epic is buying up mass amounts of store exclusives. I realize this probably is the only way to get a bite out of Steam.. but it just doesn't sit well with me.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
My problem with that is I still can't understand why "We only develop for Steam" is fine but "We only develop for Epic because they gave us a lot of money" is not. There are absolutely tonnes of Steam exclusive games.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

"X is bad."

"Steam also does X."

That's maybe not the defense you think it is.

"X is bad."

"Steam also does X."

That's maybe not the defense you think it is.

When the OP gives it as a reason for refusing free games from a platform, I think pointing out that that thing they're critiquing is on par with everyone's favourite platform is warranted.

It's also, crucially, not a defense. I wish self-declared "Gamers" would critique Steam with the same vigour as they critique the Epic store - especially when it's doing literally the same thing.

But also consumerism is bad and getting angry over it is worse.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Elite dangerous free next week on epic..

Can't be bad.   
I already own it, but still...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I don't like Epic because it splits my library, and I'm concerned about its longevity. If they do lose the war, what happens to the games?

I don't like the way they've bought so many exclusives.

I don't like the way they're mostly owned by a chinese corporation.

I will take their free games, because they pay the creators, at least.

There are absolutely tonnes of Steam exclusive games.

Are they Steam exclusive - as in they refuse to release on any other platform - or are they only on Steam because it's the largest and most convenient place to release a PC game?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't like Epic because it splits my library, and I'm concerned about its longevity. If they do lose the war, what happens to the games?

As long as Unreal Engine continues to be one of the main game-building engines, how would this be possible?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

The same question can be asked about Steam just as easily.

Are they Steam exclusive - as in they refuse to release on any other platform - or are they only on Steam because it's the largest and most convenient place to release a PC game?

What's the difference? Epic has exclusives because Epic convinced game developers to sign exclusivity deals, Steam has exclusives because .... they did the same thing, just using different methods (i.e. ease of access, lack of quality control).

In case of Valve games: Yes absolutely.
In case of many other games: Also yes.
Arma 3 became steam exclusive because it's convenient for BI to have just one platform they need to update, which is true. A lot of "steam exclusivity" is not because it just happens to be the largest place (it's def. not the most convenient place, that's itch.io). It's becuase Steam held the monopoly on PC distribution, and not being on steam was death. That is it's own problem, remember when EA games were removed from Steam by Valve? And yes, they have been let back on the platform now. But it needed an Epic bombshell for that to happen.

But why should developers not choose for Epic? Having your game on Epic exclusively is more convenient as well, and it earns you vastly more money. You not only get paid for the privilege, your game sells more.

I 'like'* Epic because it provides me with an alternative in case Steam drops out. Steam held a monopoly on games distribution, what does happen if they sink for whatever reason? If I put all my eggs in a DRM-enforced hellhole, I'm screwed if it ever falls over. Much like I was actually screwed when I did that, and Steam had a very unreliable offline mode. Remember that, with the exception of GOG and Itch.io, these platforms are all about making DRM appealable to the masses. Should they fail, you're ****ed, no matter whose platform you're on.

I don't like the way they've bought so many exclusives.

Yeah it's inconvenient.

I don't like the way they're mostly owned by a chinese corporation.
They aren't. Why would this be a problem?

* I like talking about this but also these are just DRM-enforcers that try to sweeten the deal of signing away what I consider to be basic consumer rights through free stuff or massive discounts.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 03:16:06 am by -Joshua- »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
It is a fair bet that if a digital-distribution platform were to go under - unlikely, to say the least right now - and they had major exclusive titles, there would be a mad scramble by the other platforms to pick them up.

Their entire business model is based on people believing in the stability and longevity of the services.  A major disruption hurts all of them.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Lorric

I didn't know this had spawned a topic.

For all the people mentioning Steam, I've never used it and have no intention of doing so.

If a game is exclusively only available by one seller, and they can strip you of all your consumer rights as the only way to get it, that's a monopoly and a huge problem. Gamers afaik are the only consumers that allow their industry to walk all over them to the extent that the gaming industry does.