Author Topic: Aftermath (a prologue)  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Aftermath (a prologue)
Prologue

Delta Serpentis System, near the Sol Jump Node

In the year 2335, the Galactic Terran Alliance or the GTA, has been at war with the Parliamentary Vasudan Navy, the PVN, for 14 years.  Both species are worn and tired, but the fighting continued.  Then the Destroyers came.  Named by humans after the Indian Goddess of War, the Shivans cut a path through Terran and Vasudan space.  The two warring species soon realised that there only chance for survival was to combine their forces.  The Shivan armada was lead by a ship of unseen size, larger than anything ever constructed before.  The Super Destroyer Lucifer went to the home world of the Vasudans, razing the planet and rendering it an uninhabitable wasteland.  Earth was its next target.  All attempts to destroy the Lucifer had been unsuccessful.  But then, hope was renewed, as a team of scientists found the ruins of an ancient alien civilisation, and gained the knowledge needed to cut through the Lucifer powerful shields.  But time was running out, and there was only one jump left to Earth.  This was mankind’s last hope.

"Yee-haw!"

Gamma 2's Valkyrie star-fighter flew through the ensuing fireball, leaving it’s pilot with a feeling of triumph.  Ensign Thomas Cogland knew that he loved his job.  He was an average, red haired, blue-eyed man from Mars.  The SD Lucifer swung in front of him and the battle for the Delta Serpentis jump node finally was turning in the Alliance's favour.  Behind him in his Valkyrie B trainer was Yssym, his Vasudan Co-pilot.  Tom was unsure of this creature, but he followed orders, wherever they take him.  Yssym was a tall creature with dark, almost earthen toned skin.  He was actually quite an enjoyable being, which surprised Tom, who being a GTA fighter pilot was used to shooting at them.

"You alright back Simmy?"  

""  

"You Vasudans should lighten up a bit.  Just look at me.  Here I am flying in the most intense combat of my life, and we're talkin' about names.  And call me Tom.  Only my grandmother and Admiral's call me Thomas.  AH HA!"  

Tom let loose his Prometheus and Banshee lasers, causing another Shivan fighter to burst into a glorious fireball.  Fighters and bombers attacked the massive ship, but it was entering into the node.

"“  

Yssym looked like the thought of calling him Tom was making him sick to his stomach, wherever that was. A Hercules spiralled down toward the planet.  Poor Marcus from Theta wing, the guy with a thousand ships to his credit, mostly his own. Hopefully they'll pick him up, if he survives the landing.  The guy had family back home on Earth.  The order to enter the node was given, and Tom piloted Gamma 2 into the swirling blue tunnel of subspace.  The shield indicators went out, as was normal in subspace.  This was the only chance to destroy that thing.  A fury of lights emerged from the swarm of allied ships.  The bombers unloaded wave after wave of missiles into the side of the Lucifer.  The massive battlewagon was being overwhelmed.  Massive fireballs of glowing reds and oranges billowed from the side of the ship.

"Attention All Ships, This is Beta 2.  The Lucifer is going down. Repeat, the Lucifer is going down.  Clear the blast area."  

"

Simmy stated this in his usual obvious self.  Another series of explosions ripped apart the hull, tracing a line down the centre of the ship.  Ships nearest the Lucifer went up in the blast wave.  Tom realised with horror that the shock wave was going to hit their ship.

"Hold on buddy!  This is going to be tight!"

Gamma 2 swung around, and Tom nailed on the afterburners, running at full tilt toward the Delta Serpentis end of the node.  His quick glance at the radar showed his compatriots heading for Sol.  Alpha 1, as usual being the cowboy that he is, was even closer to the shock wave than Tom was.  The shockwave was closing the distance behind them.  

"We're only 100m's to the node.  We’re going to make it!"  

"“  

"Have ye little faith in my flying skills.  We will make the node.  Deactivating jump drive.  And call me TOM!"  

Just as Gamma 2's jump drive disengaged, the blast reached them.  

The Delta Serpentis - Sol Node was destroyed  

Thirty Years Later, Capella System

The first time the Destroyers came, we barely survived.  Our link to our native home, Earth, was cut-off.  Now, 30 years after the Great War, we have found the portal technology left by the ancients, and a way home.  But the Subspace Portal also brought the Second Coming of the Shivans.  For 30 years, the Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance, the GTVA, has worked hard to prepare for such an eventuality.  The Colossus, the biggest ship ever built, was destroyed.  In our arrogance, we once again thought that we could overcome them with one ship.  This time, this time they came with a fleet of ships larger than anything we had seen before.  The Sathanas, a Juggernaught of frightening power, but they came on mass, an entire fleet of these monsters.  Capella is being evacuated, and our only hope of survival is in cutting Capella off from the rest of our systems.  A group of brave volunteers, under the command of Admiral Petrarch of the GTD Aquitane, is now fighting to allow the last of the refugees to pass through the Vega node, before the Shivans are stopped.

"All Ships, this is Alpha 1, we must keep those ships on this side of the node."  

A large dogfight ensued around the last of the convoy ships.  All sorts of Shivan vessels, from small star fighters to large Ravana class destroyers fought with parts of the3rd fleet.  Alpha 1’s squadron, the 70th Blue Lions, the best of the best, where somehow able to remain in control of the situation, but it was rapidly turning for the worst.  Oddly, the Sathanas Juggernaughts, had yet to enter the fight, staying close to the Capellan Sun.  Whatever they are doing cannot be good.  Waves of Shivan bombers blasted the convoy.  A decommissioned Orion Class Destroyer was waiting for the convoy to jump, carrying inside it the most powerful weapon in the GTVA armoury, The Meson Bomb.

"Roger that Alpha 1," responded the rest of the ships under Major Wes Sutton's command.  He was an average sized man, being from Beta Aquilae.  He had brown hair, and jade green eyes, something his mother was proud of.  The last of the escapees' ships were entering the Vega Node.  The 3rd fleet was turning to follow, jumping in 5 minutes.  A Deimos corvette was looked in combat, green and red beams where lancing between the two titans.  Then Command gave Wes some very bad news.  

"All ships, the Sathanas Fleet is firing some sort of weapon and..... Oh my god!  Capella has gone nova!  You have a minute to get out of there.  Engage jump drives NOW pilots!"  

Well, thought Wes sitting in his new shiny Ares fighter, this is not good.  

“Come on Wes, let’s get the hell out of dodge.”

That was his wingman Carl Fellowes, flying Alpha 2.  He responded by racing towards the node, ignoring the Shivan Fighters all around him.  He dumped power from everything, weapons, all of his shields, into his engines.  The wave behind him was catching up; he could almost feel the destructive power chasing him.  He could see the rest of Alpha wing and two ships from Beta wing reach the node and jump out.  Wes was thankful for that, but he knew that they were still going to lose a large number of people.  Five seconds to the node.  The wave was catching him, nipping his heals.  He reached the node, just as the wave was going to hit the rear of his fighter.  He fired up his engines.

Wes looked at a swirling subspace tunnel, noting the unusual red colour instead of the vibrant blue.  Warning lights flashed on all over the cockpit displays.  Despite all of this, the battered fighter was still in one piece.  The inertial dampeners went out, and Wes was thrown around like a rag doll, barely attached to his seat.  A sudden jolt sent Wes into the side, slamming his head against the cockpit.  The last thing he saw was a curtain of darkness cascading into his vision.  The fighter continued on its journey, its pilot unconscious, heading into the depths of unknown subspace.

[/I]Capella was destroyed.  Only five fighters made it out to Vega.  Alpha 1 wasn't among them.  Admiral Petrarch gave the 70th Blue Lions a letter of condolence for the loss of their commanding officer.  Thousands had lost their lives, dying I the powerful wave of the Capellan Sun.  The node to Capella was destroyed from the Vega end, ensuring the containment of the Shivans to Capella and Gamma Draconis.  Life was slowly being put back together for the millions of refugees from Capella.  The GTVA navy was still hurting from the loss of the Colossus and over half of the 3rd fleet, but the Human race has survived its second encounter with the Shivans.  And this time we will be prepared for the third coming...  
[/I]

So, what do you think.  the next three chapters are on the site, and hopefully, I'll finish it.  Comments
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002