Author Topic: Autio aim guide draft - help needed.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Autio aim guide draft - help needed.
Hi all, I am preparing a guide to installing auto-aim to campaigns that do not natively have it. I have attached a draft version, plus three versions of the autoaim-aip.tbm file, on for FS Retail, one for FS2 Retail and one for BP.

I would be very grateful if you fine folks could take a look at it and let me know if any thing needs changing, and also answer the questions I have highlighted in yellow at the end of the document.

Many thanks in advance

:-)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Autio aim guide draft - help needed.
I'd add a second paragraph to the lead about difficulty and AI behavior. Something like:

By adding auto-aim to campaigns that have been playtested without it, you must understand you are changing the overall balance of said campaigns. In more fortunate scenarios, your changes will alter mission balance only slightly. However, the more complex the mission, the more such changes will affect how it plays out. In extreme cases, like cutscenes and very carefully crafted combat scenarios, your edits might even break the mission as a whole.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I'd add a second paragraph to the lead about difficulty and AI behavior. Something like:

By adding auto-aim to campaigns that have been playtested without it, you must understand you are changing the overall balance of said campaigns. In more fortunate scenarios, your changes will alter mission balance only slightly. However, the more complex the mission, the more such changes will affect how it plays out. In extreme cases, like cutscenes and very carefully crafted combat scenarios, your edits might even break the mission as a whole.

Good point, although I can state that I have used it on many campaigns not made for it and thus far it has not broken anything. It doesn't appear to affect enemies or NPC wingmen, only the player which is handy :-)

I mainly use it due to my HOTAS being a Thrustmaster T-Flight X which has a notorious deadzone problem, which makes precise aiming almost impossible, so I compensate with a little auto aim (now set at 5,5,5,5,5). Same principe as console games using aim assist due to aiming accurately with thumbsticks is near impossible. When I was using mouse and keys it wasn't necessary.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Overall that looks pretty good. You are correct that these changes only affect the player. Also I might add a section that points players to the mouse as a joystick script, which I have recently updated (shameless plug). That mouse script lets you click a button and switch between using the mouse to aim like a mouse and using the mouse as a joystick, and I find it makes flying a lot easier for those of us who don't have space for a stick.

Of course this is just a recommendation, if you would rather not include it I completely understand!

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Overall that looks pretty good. You are correct that these changes only affect the player. Also I might add a section that points players to the mouse as a joystick script, which I have recently updated (shameless plug). That mouse script lets you click a button and switch between using the mouse to aim like a mouse and using the mouse as a joystick, and I find it makes flying a lot easier for those of us who don't have space for a stick.

Of course this is just a recommendation, if you would rather not include it I completely understand!

Ooh, I haven't heard of that before. I'll add it, but as a separate pinned thread on getting Started :-)

I'll need the link or the file to do that of course :-)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Sounds good, thanks! Here's the link https://github.com/wookieejedi/FSO-Scripts/blob/master/Joystick-Mouse/mouse-sct.tbm

To download it just right click `Raw` Button then click `Save Link As` and download it and put it in the data/tables folder.