Author Topic: FS2 No CD fix...  (Read 7836 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by daveb
I have no idea what the wording of the agreement intends. And I'm not a lawyer.

Bah - I'm not a lawyer either, but that sentence is the most un-legalese sentence in any liscense agreement I've ever seen. I mean, seriously:

[q]You may make copies of the Software for your personal noncommercial home entertainment use and to give to friends and acquaintances on a no cost noncommercial basis.[/q]

It says right there: freely distribute copies of the game ot friends and aquaintances, as long as you're not making money off it.

Originally posted by daveb
However, common sense dictates it would be a very very stupid thing to do to post the game data or executables (that is, those that come with the game).

And Liscense Agreements are there for the explicit purpose of taking into account every possible use of the Software purchased that could be "blamed" on this thing called "common sense".

DaveB, I'd really appreciate it if you could email someone on the Volition or Interplay team who would be able to explain and/or clarify this... if you don't mind. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So no chance then? (btw i actually own 2 copies of FS2 now) i bought the original shortly after release and now i own the FS1 / FS2 twinpack (£9.99p inc P+P white label Virgin interactive from generic website) And silent threat doesn't work on my new copy of FS1  (my old FS1 is in the same loft at my house) Any info on why silent threat dont work? any links to any FS1 PATCHES, (no not hacks)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Solatar

If you read the copyright at install, it says you can freely distribute it as long as you don't get any money from it. But I think of you read the copyright in the fs2 directory, after install, it says you can't distribute it. Isn't that weird?

In the copyright it says that you can't reverse engineer it, or MOD it. The VBB supported MODing. Think about that.

Also think about this. Your brain has two sides, so does your a$$.

Think about that. :D

Originally posted by Vertigo1
Forget no-CD patches.  They're useless anyways since you can't use any update patches on the game once you apply the no-cd "patch".  
That's why you usually keep a backup copy of the replaced EXE. When you need to update, you bring the EXE back, patch, then download a new CD crack.

As to whether or not Colonol Dekker actually owns the game, well there's a simple way to find out. What do the pictures on the CDs show?
My one and only mission (took me a year to complete): Laying Down of Arms
Mission description: Alpha wing aids in the boarding and capturing of three surrendering NTF warships.

Offline diamondgeezer

*sniff, sniff*

Wow, this topic's a tad ripe! Why'd you have to go and dig it up, Executor?

I only visit HLP every few months. It's not like this board is overflowing with new posts anyway.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 11:59:10 am by 693 »
My one and only mission (took me a year to complete): Laying Down of Arms
Mission description: Alpha wing aids in the boarding and capturing of three surrendering NTF warships.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Originally posted by Kazashi

That's why I will sometimes use such devices, it isn't exactly easy for me to change CD after CD when I am using multiple programs in one sitting.

If anyone's interested in the Australian handling of copyright law concerning CD's and computer software, then check out the guides on http://www.copyright.org.au/page3.htm, specifically the files on Computer Software, Games, and Music: Copying CD's. Basically, we can make a backup copy of software, provided that we don't have to crack any anti-copying measurements in the process. However, this does not apply to computer games and CD's - it is illegal to make a copy of a CD without written permission or the expiration of copyright (applies for both data and music CD's).

In Denmark, you can make a backup of everything, just as long as you own the CD whatever there is on it.

analog to digital:not allowed(and why should one).
analog to analog:allowed for backing up
digital to analog; not allowed(and why should one).
digital to digital; allowed for backing-up

The freespace Cd-roms even comes with no counter measering copy format.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.