Author Topic: Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW - 24 inches of widescreen goodness  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW - 24 inches of widescreen goodness
Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor

9 / 10 @ ExtremeTech review

[q]Diagonal Size: 24"
     Display Type: Flat Panel Display / Active Matrix TFT - Desktop
     Depth: 9"
     Features: 100 mm VESA Mounting, Height Adjustable Stand Included, Detachable Panel mechanism
     Height: Compressed: 22", Extended: 25"
     Weight: 22.1 lbs
     Width: 22"
     Image Max H-View Angle: ±89°
     Image Max V-View Angle: ±89°
     Color Support: 16.7 Million
     Connectivity Technology: Cable
     Device Type: Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand
     Dimensions (WxDxH): 22" x 9" x 22" to 25"
     Dimensions (WxDxH) / Weight: 22" x 9" x 22" to 25" / 22.1 lbs
     Enclosure Color: Midnight Gray
     Image Aspect Ratio: 16:10
     Image Brightness: 500 cd/m²(typical)
     Image Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (typical)
     Max Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA)
     Max Sync Rate (V x H): 76 Hz x 81 kHz
     Power Consumption Operational: 80 W (maximum)
     Diagonal Size / Viewable Size: 24" / 24"
     Port(s) Total (Free) / Connector Type: 15-pin D-sub / DVI-D / S-video / Composite / Component / 4 x USB 2.0
     Compatibility: PC[/q]

It comes with a 9-in-1 flash card reader, pivot functionality, and none of the backlighting problems that plagued the 20" 2005FPW! Very few dead pixel reports, also unlike the 2005FPW.

All for $1199 retail (easily below $1k with the famous Dell discounts and coupons)???

:jaw:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Dell sucks
What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent with your mouth. Yiddish proverb

Originally posted by Splinter
Dell sucks

their tft screens are actually pretty decent. not eizo class, of course, but still...
"Freedom is Cheese"
-George Orwell
"Cheese around the world, unite!"
-Karl Marx and Friedrich Engel
"CHEEEEESE!!!"
-Braveheart
"Whoever wishes to keep a cheese must hide the fact that he possesses one "
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Have a cheese that never hardens, a cheese that never tires, a cheese that never hurts."
-Charles Dickens

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ignore him; he's just jealous. And prejudiced. And stuck in the past.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So are you going to buy it or are you just into marketing all of the sudden? :p
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Originally posted by Splinter
Dell sucks
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
*saves up for this anyway*

;)

what can i say?.. i still like my CRT's.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Where's the response time?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by IceFire
Where's the response time?
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Response time is actually a very interesting point with the 2405. IIRC, it's rated as 16ms black-white, and 12ms gray-gray. However, the Samsung panel it's based around is rated at 8ms!

Subjective tests by [H] forumites have revealed a near-indetectable amount of smearing/ghosting, and then only when rapidly jerking around windows in the OS. Absolutely no problems playing games are reported.

And yes, I'm gonna buy it. Many people have been able to get it from Dell reps over the phone as low as $860 USD... ;7

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Sweet jebus thats just under 500 quid. For that size of lcd? Crikey.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
It's no Apple http://www.apple.com/displays/

But the price is right....
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Clave
It's no Apple http://www.apple.com/displays/

But the price is right....

:doubt:

20-inch Widescreens

Apple Cinema 20"
:
$999.00
Viewing Angle: 170° horizontal, 170° vertical
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 400:1
Response time (typical): 16ms
Picture-in-picture / Picture-by-picture: No
Ergonomic adjustment: Tilt
Ports: 2 USB, 2 Firewire

Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20": $750 list ($636.65 as I type this)
Viewing Angle: 176° horizontal, 176° vertical
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 600:1
Response time (typical): 12ms
Picture-in-picture / Picture-by-picture: Yes
Ergonomic adjustment: Tilt, height adjustment, rotation, pivot
Ports: 4 USB

23/24-inch Widescreens

Apple Cinema 23"
:
$1,799.00
Brightness: 270 cd/m2

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24": $1,299
Viewing Angle: 178° horizontal, 178° vertical
Brightness: 500 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 1000:1
Response time (typical): 12ms
Picture-in-picture / Picture-by-picture: Yes
Ergonomic adjustment: Tilt, height adjustment, rotation, pivot
Ports: 4 USB
Extras: Built-in 9-in-1 flash memory card reader

30-inch Widescreens

Apple Cinema 30"
:
$2,999.00
Brightness: 270 cd/m2

Dell 30" unavailable. Yet.

Finally, the Apple Cinema displays get mediocre reviews, whereas the Dell UltraSharp widescreens get good to great reviews. Ergo:

Dell LCD widescreens > Apple Cinema displays

:D

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
Meh, they are still not as cool...
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
True. You be cool and empty-of-pockets, I'll have better hardware, with money left over. :D

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
a good flatscreen CRT will still outdo any LCD you throw at it. the only justifyable reason to buy an LCD is space.
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

God I love LCDs.

Not because I actually use them, but things like this seriously drive the price down on high quality CRTs.  Heck, ordered a 21 inch trinitron tube, used but in good condition, for $200 shipped from AZ to PA.  Not too long ago that would've cost a small fortune, and you still can't beat the quality of Sony CRTs.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Something IceFire said awhile back is applicable to me...

I dislike having something with a cathode-ray gun in it pointed at my head. :p

As a result, I have a nifty Samsung Syncmaster 712n. Only $275 at OfficeMax, great quality (Except for the water stain in the corner. Yes, it really is water.), and a fast response time so I don't go insane by playing games. :D
-C

Offline Grey Wolf

I honestly dislike Dell from experiance.  If I was rich, I'd contemplate that monitor. But for the moment, the Sony S74 is more along my lines.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
GW, from reports I've heard, it seems like Dell Computers and Dell LCD Monitors are two seperate companies. The may have a 5-dead-pixel policy, but if you call them up and complain about being unsatisfied, you'll have a UPS guy at your door in a few days with a replacement monitor, ready to pick up your old one. Besides, when list price is 1.2 grand, but you can get it for $860 by talking smooth to the reps, you gotta admit there's something to be said for the way they work. :D