Author Topic: Use Mantis to report bugs!  (Read 65133 times)

Offline Inquisitor

Use Mantis to report bugs!
Report all bugs on Mantis.

Read this article on how to submit bugs.  It will save both you and us a substantial amount of grief.  Also read Karajorma's thoughts.

Read and follow the following guidelines:
  • Look before you leap - make sure there isn't a similar bug before you post a new one. If there is a similar bug, post info on your particular circumstance.
  • Give the bug an intelligible title.  Nothing is worse than "it's broke" or "weird problem".  Help us make sense of it.
  • Provide as much information as you can.  What you think is unimportant could actually be very important in finding out what's causing the bug.  It's better to have too much than too little.
  • ALWAYS post what build you're using.  Usually it will have the date in the file name.  If it's just named something like "fs2_open_r", post where you got it from and what date it was posted.
  • ALWAYS post what command lines you're using, and whether removing them makes the problem go away.
  • ALWAYS post whether you're using any of the mediaVPs, and whether removing them makes the problem go away.
  • ALWAYS run a debug build and post any errors you get with it (Not all builds have a debug build with them though)
  • ALWAYS keep track of any bugs you report.  Check them regularly, provide reminders to the coders if necessary, and make sure your Mantis emails aren't getting eaten by the spam filter.  If we can't reproduce your bug, and we can't get in touch with you, we WILL remove your bug report.
  • If you haven't done so already, READ THIS ARTICLE.  Seriously.

If you must browse without registering, please use these credentials:

Username: SCPGuest
Password: password

However, note that you will not be able to report bugs as a guest.  To be fully involved, please take the time to register.  We do not allow anonymous bug reporting: the reason we require registration is so that we can keep in touch with our bug reporters.  Again, bug reporting is not fire-and-forget.  We will usually need to ask you to do something to help us fix the bug.

Help us help FreeSpace. You guys are as important to this process as any of the developers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:35:47 am by chief1983 »
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Also if something isn't working, try installing the newest build and media vp set first before you post anything.  This way you don't need to post about a problem you're having with version 3.6
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Re: Use Mantis to report bugs!
Something new about Mantis and AOL:
It seems that only some messages don't come through...
But those messages that actually make it throug take days to arrive...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Some other things:

Post which mission you are running if your problem only occurs in a specific mission.  This will help us isolate the problem and try to simulate it in a test mission.

If you're not a coder, please don't tell us which part of the code you think caused the bug.  Sometimes we may listen to it and be sent on a wild goose chase.

Sometimes it may be helpful to figure out when a bug was present.  If possible, try it in retail if your bug doesn't require new SEXPs.  An archive of old exes can be found here: http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/.  However, the feature you may be using may be newer than some builds there, so start moving back in 2 week increments and start narrowing it down if possible.

Feature requests in Mantis will be closed.  Please spam the forums :)

Choose a category that best suits your problem:
HT&L: should not be used.
DirectX: graphics bugs that appear only in DX
OpenGL: graphics bugs that appear only in OpenGL
graphics: graphics bugs that appear regardless of API
FRED: non-graphical related FRED problems.
FRED grahpics: graphical related FRED problems.  This should only be used when there are rendering problems, user interface errors should go under "FRED"
gameplay: Any general bug that occurs while in mission.  Usually AI or balance problems.
user interface: non-graphics related bugs for the UI screens out of mission - barracks, pilot files, tech room, lab, breifing, etc.

Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You know, we could use a severity category between minor and major, something like medium. I've often found that some bugs I report are more than minor but aren't quite major. :p

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I suppose you know it, but just in case... Mantis (http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis) is down. I get a "404 Not Found" browser error.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I suppose you know it, but just in case... Mantis (http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis) is down. I get a "404 Not Found" browser error.

We know.  Please read this thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,41782.0.html

Offline Inquisitor

Its back up.

I think even now goober can upgrade it, URL changed though:

http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/login_page.php
No signature.

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Oh, THAT'S the Mantis site?!

I've been using the link at the top of the page  :mad:

Posting on the real site now.  >.<

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
:p

That it reads on the HLP Mantis mainpage "Note: If you're looking for the Source Code Project Mantis, it is located here: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/" and that the only public project at the moment is that of Inferno didn't sound any alarms? :) Updated the SCP Mantis link just a moment ago but anyway...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 01:03:57 pm by Fury »

Already for several days I can't use mantis, because lore.maxgaming.net says that there is no /~scp/mantis/ on this server.
If I visit roor directory of the server then the following appears

The fact that you are seeing this page indicates that the website you just visited is either experiencing problems, or is undergoing routine maintenance.

What's going on?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Take a look at the link Fury's posted.

Bet you feel a little silly now :p

The website for Mantis changed a few days back.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

Strangely though, it actually does seem to have some problems. At least I can't log in using my existing account, had to set up a new one (under a new name, so old still exists - got an error trying to set up with my normal username) to peruse the bugs.

[Edit] Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if a mantis admin could reset my PW and have it mail me a new one so I can use my real account again. It'd be nice :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 09:32:07 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Odd I logged in with no problems.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

Yeah, it is odd... at first I thought I just remembered the PW wrong, but then I checked my devilishly-hidden-super-secret-piece-of-unimportant-passwords-holding-paper on the back on my screen to make sure, and it checked out.

[Edit] Thanks for the quick action, can access it again now :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:18:39 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
What do you do if you create an account but never get the password?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

What do you do if you create an account but never get the password?
Shoot, that stinks.  I've got 2 suggestions for you (follow step #2 1st):
1. Pick another email account of yours - at a different email domain. Add the following two email addresses to your sender safe-list / address book:
2. Try to register *sigh* another account, using the different email address that you used in step 1.
You can change your email address to your prefered email address once you acquire your password and log in.

I hope this helps!

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Are you guys able to even GET to http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/ this week?  It keeps timing out for me. :sigh:

Are you guys able to even GET to http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/ this week?  It keeps timing out for me. :sigh:
Odd, I've been using it all week, and it's still coming up for me now.  Strange that you would have such a prolonged problem with just one site, and that I haven't the same experience.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Shoot, that stinks.  I've got 2 suggestions for you (follow step #2 1st):
1. Pick another email account of yours - at a different email domain. Add the following two email addresses to your sender safe-list / address book:
2. Try to register *sigh* another account, using the different email address that you used in step 1.
You can change your email address to your prefered email address once you acquire your password and log in.

I hope this helps!

Well I don't have any addresses filtered out or have spam filtering enabled.  I just use Thunderbird to mark spam messages and mass delete them after I look at them.  Unless my ISP is blocking them for some reason they should come through.   Heck I got the one for this site today.

Tried the new registration with my 165thBDHR email this time and same thing.  No email and that account doesn't even receive more than a message or 2 a week so it wouldn't be hard to spot. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras