Author Topic: First Ps3 review  (Read 13026 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That'd be neat, but then the kind of people who like through-and-through shooters like Doom aren't necessarily going to want to stop for some puzzle solving.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Point. Talking of which, was it me, or were the puzzles in Doom and Doom 2 a LOT harder than the ones in Doom 3? I'm trying to figure out whether it was just because I was young and not as literal a thinker or whether they were genuinely tougher.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I don't think you can call the stuff in Doom 3 "Puzzles".

Far as I'm concerned, D3 was a weak game, game wise. Sure, the darkness, the engine, the flashlight, greeeeeat, I can appreciate the leap, but as a game, not really impressive, kind of dumbed down and boring. Darkness doesn't replace level design ingenuity.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Agreed, there was nothing really to 'solve' as such, I remember in Doom and Doom 2 there were floors that needed lifting to get to bonuses, or sometimes merely to complete the level that took a great deal of solving, sometimes you had to trick two monsters into attacking each other etc, and the one thing I really missed was the ability to stand in one area and listen for what was behind each door, so you could plan your attack. The 'everything teleports' system in Doom 3 sort of ruined that.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That's true, the teleporting thing did add some tension as you never quite knew when things would pop up - but it also spoiled things a bit as the complex didn't so much feel overrun as "everythnig came, killed everyone but you and now it's just waiting to pop back up infront of you".

It'd be better if they had creatures prowling around the levels, rather than waiting to voip in.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

"WAAAAAAAGH I got my two months rent piece of equipment that I won't be able to fully use in at least, a whole year. YATTA!!!"

They just started selling them in JapLand.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
That's a really big box. Funny that the Japanese suddenly don't have a problem with size....

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
That's a really big box. Funny that the Japanese suddenly don't have a problem with size....

what's more amusing that the PS3 is physically larger than the 360
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
And heavier than the original Xbox.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That's because they needed more space to squeeze all that cool into... ;)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think if I were to look for problems in the PS3, the size of the box it came in really would be a non-starter.

Offline Roanoke

That's true, the teleporting thing did add some tension as you never quite knew when things would pop up - but it also spoiled things a bit as the complex didn't so much feel overrun as "everythnig came, killed everyone but you and now it's just waiting to pop back up infront of you".

It'd be better if they had creatures prowling around the levels, rather than waiting to voip in.

I thought that aspect alone was wank in the extreme. It ruined any tactical possbilities as the bad guys could be anywhere, anytime.  Plus the maps were so tight you'd end up jimmy-jammed in a corner slugging it out with nowhere to go.
The PDA effect was much better in Shock, too.

And to reduce the Cyber Demon to a lame final boss  :rolleyes:

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I think if I were to look for problems in the PS3, the size of the box it came in really would be a non-starter.

Yeah, but to DB, the PS3 is a big fat hairy problem.  I mean, come on...  *****ing over the size of the box?  The weight of the unit?   :rolleyes:

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I actually saw a PS3 on display the other day and I was shocked.  The thing's huge!  I mean it's a real clunker, nearly as tall as my PC tower and nearly as long, but only half as thick.  It is designed to be streamlined so it looks smaller than it is, but it seems to be actually quite a bit larger than the 360, which is a surprise.  Sony always lauded the portability of their systems since in Japan space is at a premium, but they phailed in that department this time.  However, with all the hype attached to it I think Japs are gonna be clearing shelves in their dinky overcrowded apartments for this one, and so are many Americans for that matter.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Are you sure it's entirely fair to be stereotyping 'Japs' as all living in tiny cluttered homes in 'Japland'?

Just for reference:

Xbox 360:

Dimension: 309 mm(W) x 83 mm(H) x 258 mm(D)
Weight: 3.5 kg

PS3:

Dimension: 325mm(W) x 98mm(H) x 274mm (D)
Weight: 5 Kg

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Yeah, the "OMG THE SIZE" impressions are really stupid.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Well, color me impressed... sort of.

Resistance got 9.1 at IGN. I'll wait for more sites to review first. It was given props for the gameplay, which apes HL2 alot, but apparently the graphics left a little to be desired, especially on a SDTV, and especially when compared to Gears.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Speaking of PS3 related ****, anyone hear that PS3 games are going to sell for $90 US?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Yeah, those were fake news.

At any rate, judging by this, the launch was a failure.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-and-fights-ps3-jpn-launchs-dark-side-214130.php