Author Topic: Freespace vs Starwars  (Read 15978 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Freespace vs Starwars
How would the GTVA stand up to the Imperial Navy or vice versa, if from some strange occurrence involving a jump node, a black hole, and an experimental drive system, the universes were brought together?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Re: Freespace vs Starwars
I would think that the Imperial Navy would kick the GTVA's ass. One reason:  Cap-Ship Shields.  Of course, there is no real way to compare the weapons and such of the 2 navies because they are in entirely different universes.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The GTVas beams may destroy the shields, you forget about this.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

No I didn't forget about it, it's just that we don't know.  Also, Imperial command seems a lot less stupid than GTVA command does.  Of course, I've never been a TIE pilot so I wouldn't know how inept their command is.

EDIT:  And this is a very interesting topic for me since I am the biggest Star Wars dork (I use this term with affection) that I know.  And of course I'm a FreeSpace dork (again, with affection) too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:58:35 pm by lenard27 »

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Imps would win, because they don't have the oversized squirt-gun.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Imps win because they have a VAST superiority in numbers.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I would think that the Imperial Navy would kick the GTVA's ass. One reason:  Cap-Ship Shields.  Of course, there is no real way to compare the weapons and such of the 2 navies because they are in entirely different universes.

In FS beams always tear through shields.

The Imperial Navy's weapons seem to be FS1 era.

It wouldn't matter anyway because of all the subspace disruption, the Shivans would come down and whoop some ass.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
How do we know the strength of the armour on the ships is the same? The FS2 ships may have way stronger armour, perhaps visversa.

And I think FS2 beams would totally destroy Imp ships, since in FS2 I think they go right through shields.
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Of course, I've never been a TIE pilot so I wouldn't know how inept their command is.
... but I have, and I can say that Imperial Command is way more sensible than GTVA Command. The Imperial Navy is more prone to treachery, though, Harkov and Zaarin come to mind... :drevil:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The GTVA needed ancient 5-legged cyber-organic killers with plasma accelerators built into their carapace to defeat them. The Empire required some kind of pre-historic Care-Bear....

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Double post, but being serious, if it was one-one between, say a Star Destroyer and a GTVA ship, then it might stand a chance against a Corvette or the like, depending on the shield reaction to beams. it's a little bit smaller than a corvette, but there's no realistic way afaik of comparing armour to weapons between the two, using the Star Wars universe, the SD must have incredibly tough armour, weapons in Star Wars are incredibly powerful, but then, they are in FS2 as well. An Orion would tear an SD to pieces before it could do that much damage however if the weapons/armour were comparable.

If, however, you are talking a 'door' open over a period of weeks or months, then the Empire can outnumber and out-industry the GTVA 100 fold, they would simply swarm them under with Fighters and Bombers.

Edit: Sorry those two were so far apart, the cat has fallen asleep on my hand :)

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Well from a fighter perspective, the GTVA have it way over the Imperials.  More shields, More firepower and more versatile designs.

From a Capship perspective....well I'll have to lend it to the GTVA again.  Beams are designed to bust through SHivan shielding, so it shouldn't be a problem against shields designed for short duration impact of Turbolasers (think Death Star 2 blowing away the Liberty.  the superlaser is a beam cannon).  GTVA has more depth as well, with stronger entries in the smaller ships (a few Deimos would be all over a Star Destroyer), and the big Hat is a pretty solid offensive destroyer, the Hecate serves as the carrier nicely.  the Imperial Fleet is big on being Impressive and inspiring fear, but after a shivan juggernaut, a SD is not scary.

and tactics wise, the imperials consistently lost to a ragtag bunch of rebels.  the GTVA has beaten back the Great Destroyers twice (with various levels of success...but they're still around!)

so GTVA > the Imperials
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The GTVA needed ancient 5-legged cyber-organic killers with plasma accelerators built into their carapace to defeat them. The Empire required some kind of pre-historic Care-Bear....

Lies!

Many Bothans died to deliver the information that led to the Battle of Endor! It was just that the Care-Bears stole the show and Bothans get one sentence in the whole movie series referring to them.

Than again, a bunch of teenagers and an aluminium falcon was enough to blow up the first Death Star.

That said, it's possible that the Imperials have resources comparable even to Shivans. I mean they rule a galaxy. GTVA covers about 20-30 systems (drew the number from my hat, might be wrong, might be right, failure to care imminent) and are reliant on nodes for intersystem transportation.

Then again, terrans and vasudans seem to be very good at stealing and adapting foreign technology to their needs, seeing how they managed to adjust their sensors to detect Shivans in about two mission time gap, get working primary weapons against Shivan shields very fast, and the assimilation of Shivan shield tech was also incredibly fast and the technology was also manufactured and fitted on the ships at unbelievably good efficiency. I mean, in one mission you save the prototype and in the second all your ships have shields - I have to hand it to the GTA/PVN logistics, they should probably be assigned to high command as well (but then the good logistics would be lost...)

But, as was said, as far as fighters go, GTVA has much better equipment. Bombs seem to be more powerful, although imperial missiles have more advanced homing capabilities. But Imps have more fighters and bombers so they can deal with them being practically mobile weapon platforms for a pilot in EVA suit.

In cap ship battle, Imps have better mobility (assuming they can use hyperspace in GTVA space) and better defences. Oh, and they have more of them too. Nevertheless, aside from Death Star/Eclipse superlasers, GTVA ships have better long-range weapons (beams), but their efficiency against Imperial capship shields is up to anyone's imagination.

The biggest problems the GTVA would have against imperials would likely be numbers and hyperspace's advantages compared to nodes. In equal battlegroup engagement, I think the fight would be pretty even, but the fight is only one part of war - the imps would never have need to fight on even grounds, they could maintain their presence in GTVA systems very easily and simply land some huge amounts of ground pounders and stormtroopers to invade the GTVA systems before the node-dependant GTVA forces could even respond...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Oh no, not this universe crossing ****.  =/
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: It's ok as long as people don't start taking it anything near personally, you can come to some conclusions with the Canon stuff for both universes, but at the end of the day, as long as people realise that  there's no way to truly find out the answer, I don't really mind ;)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Both of the universes don't make logical sense, basically in opposite ways
*slaps self* shoulda been neither

Opposite ways?
Yes, oppisite ways: in the Freespace universe everything moves ridiculously slowly, power levels are far too low; a GTF Hercules mk II a front line fighter in the FS universe moves at 55 mps, slower than a C-130 Hercules... a real life military freighter at 169 mps, or an X-wing, at 400 mps (66 mps faster than sound at sea level).

In the same way, a death star laser has the equivalent power of 2.39 X 1022 (1032 J /4.184 X 109) tons of TNT... greater than the energy the Sun puts out per second 9.15×1013... a ridiculous amount of energy for a ship to generate. The only value weapon data in Freespace is the Harbinger and the Banshee, the Harbinger is a 5 gigajoule warhead.... a little more than a ton of TNT (4.184 gigajoules) kinda dinkey... but believeable. It takes 313 Harbingers to take down a Sathanas, a single super laser would do the job... many times over. Sufficed to say the FS universe is crazily underpowered and the Star Wars universe is hopelessly overpowered.

So there  :p

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Please , no numbers of OMGgigajoules , etc. ...

FreeSpace universe would win :

1. Beam cannons go right through shields and damage the hull ( photons on shields don't work , and it's like this on fighters in FS2 )
2. GTVA destroyers are larger than a star destroyer ( GTD Orion = 2 kilometers , a Star Destroyer is 1.4km if I remember right ) .
3. With subspace you can control where and how you jump in ( except for the node travel ) .
4. GTVA has stronger hull , because I don't think the imperials would bother upgrading the hull/armour since they have shields .
5. Outnumbers , but they're weak compared to GTVA . Imperials are as strong as the GTA before the great war . They can swarm the GTVA , but the GTVA has shields , and much better weapons than lame lasers .
6. The GTVA can't win a ground battle with just their ground forces ( which noone knows how they look , except for the infantry ) , but they can bombard the planet from orbit and leave it in a worse condition than Vasuda Prime .
7. Imperials smart ? No way ... They got beaten by a bunch of rebels , for crying out loud ...
8. If shields can be pierced by beam cannons , a few cruisers can take down a star destroyer ( with good maneuvering of course ) . Not to mention that the GTVA can send in corvettes , destroyers and the most effective - bombers .
9. Even if the GTVA fails to win against the imperials , then the Shivan could beat beat a hell lot of them with just 1 Sathanas ( 1 wouldn't be enough for everything , but still ... ) , because of it's strong beam cannons and quick refire rate .
10. I like the FreeSpace universe , so no way I would let some imperials beat up the GTVA .

Judging on these "facts" , I have to say that the Imperials would be screwed .

P.S. NO MORE NUMBERS OF OMG10GIGATONS - NO sci-fi ship has even NEAR enough that kind of power . And you can't base those numbers on anything cannon , just your imagination .

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Seeing how Star Wars ships of equal size pummel eachother with lasers for hours before blasting eachor, and FS22 ships beam eachotehr to death in under a minute, I'd say the beamz pack a LOT more firepower.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

LOL...so true...

If, however, you are talking a 'door' open over a period of weeks or months, then the Empire can outnumber and out-industry the GTVA 100 fold, they would simply swarm them under with Fighters and Bombers.

Unshielded, paper-thin hull ones. Aeoulses weould get a field day! ;7

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes, oppisite ways: in the Freespace universe everything moves ridiculously slowly, power levels are far too low; a GTF Hercules mk II a front line fighter in the FS universe moves at 55 mps, slower than a C-130 Hercules... a real life military freighter at 169 mps, or an X-wing, at 400 mps (66 mps faster than sound at sea level).

In the same way, a death star laser has the equivalent power of 2.39 X 1022 (1032 J /4.184 X 109) tons of TNT... greater than the energy the Sun puts out per second 9.15×1013... a ridiculous amount of energy for a ship to generate. The only value weapon data in Freespace is the Harbinger and the Banshee, the Harbinger is a 5 gigajoule warhead.... a little more than a ton of TNT (4.184 gigajoules) kinda dinkey... but believeable. It takes 313 Harbingers to take down a Sathanas, a single super laser would do the job... many times over. Sufficed to say the FS universe is crazily underpowered and the Star Wars universe is hopelessly overpowered.

Interesting - when watching the movies the fighters seem even slower than FS ones. So are we talkign about the "real" laws of hte SW & FS unvierse or the "percived" laws that appear like tehat becosue of game mechanics/cooness factors/dramitic tension.

I mena they COULD have made a X-wing fly at 400mps but that would make hte fight scenes rather chaotic nad wouldn't give the views a good overviw.
By the same logic, FS2 COULD have made fighters fly at 400mps, but dogfighting would become impossible for an average player.

That the danger of hte numbers game - they don't correlate to what you SEE.