Author Topic: Getting up to speed  (Read 2442 times)

Ok so I've been gone a while and looks like things have changed a bit.  I know you've got PBR working (I've been using that with Unreal and Substance Painter for a while now so that's nothing new to me).

A few questions....
I'm borrowing modelling features/tricks from Star citizen and...

1. Is it possible to have layered textures(aka detail textures)?  (i.e. a base repeated tile and a more detailed version, in my case a base hull texture and a scratches texture layered over it)

2. Is it possible to program the shader to use only a normal map (aka a normal decal)? or at least support multiple uv channels (channel 1 for the top normal texture, channel 2 for the projected lower hull channel)  That way you can use decals (not the logo decals that FS used) to create detail on the hull.  This is very useful for creating hi-res panels that don't cost an arm and a leg texture memory wise.

3. Any support for multi-uv channels?  I know the pof editor didn't support it at one time, don't know if that's changed

I know animation is still far away some I'm not going to bother about that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All of those features require multiple UV channels, which neither the engine nor the POF format support at this time.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

That's what I was afraid of...
Is there any wishful timeline for that?

Edit: I think there's a way around it with the decals... however.... it's not very efficient and won't work with hull textures that have diffident patterns.  Basically have a decal sheet for each hull texture (like I said.. not very efficient)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:13:36 pm by Scooby_Doo »

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To the best of my knowledge, noone is currently working on this. Be aware that we are currently in the process of changing quite a lot of things under the hood of our renderer; our priority right now is to get that done and fix all the minor bugs we can find.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Good to hear they're finally updating the renderer.  I take it it's a pre-cursor towards a material system?  Now that I've been using Unreal it's a really nice feature.  Also I assume it's possible to convert shaders from one engine to another (with exceptions)?

I'll add a feature request here, so I don't forget it.  Since roughness, metallic and opacity (and/or bumpmap) is a greyscale value,  3 to 4 for those can be combined into one RGBA image.  This would help cut back on load times and memory usage.  You'd have to use a shader to extra that but that shouldn't be hard at all, just extract the correct RGBA value.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I'll add a feature request here, so I don't forget it.  Since roughness, metallic and opacity (and/or bumpmap) is a greyscale value,  3 to 4 for those can be combined into one RGBA image.  This would help cut back on load times and memory usage.  You'd have to use a shader to extra that but that shouldn't be hard at all, just extract the correct RGBA value.
We don't use Roughness and metalness, we use Specular and Gloss. The -reflect extension contains specular color in the rgb and gloss in the alpha.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

We don't use Roughness and metalness, we use Specular and Gloss. The -reflect extension contains specular color in the rgb and gloss in the alpha.
Isn't Roughness basically the inverse of Gloss.  How goes Specular work then? It looks like it's basically a rgb version of Metal.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Isn't Roughness basically the inverse of Gloss.  How goes Specular work then? It looks like it's basically a rgb version of Metal.
Re: Gloss, yes. Specular is the reflection color of the material. Under the workflow Swifty made for FSO, metals have no diffuse color and colored, high value specular value, while the opposite is true for dielectrics/non-metals. The specular color has influence over both specular highlights and environment reflection color tint.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus