Author Topic: [WIP] GTD Nuadha  (Read 34891 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
So decided to start working on a destroyer and so far it's looking pretty good.

Unlike my first release, this will hopefully look a little more detailed as I am including a shine, glow, and normal map.

NOTE: This thread has basically turned into a how to make crappy Capships and then completely redesign them until they look marginally good.

Axem, it's pronounced New-Ah-Da

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:25:33 am by DahBlount »
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Looking nice. That's an esoteric design for a Terran ship; presumably a shock-jump/artillery destroyer?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Spot on! This thing is designed to jump in, fire off enough ordnance and beam weaponry to glass a small moon and quickly jump out. It can however survive prolonged engagements.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Husker

Good idea for a ship, but I foresee problems with balance. As I see it, it'll have to have limited side armaments, as well as limited firing arc for the artillery beams. I see it like a tev Narayana. A killer from the front, but a flanked Nuadha is a dead Nuadha.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Good idea for a ship, but I foresee problems with balance. As I see it, it'll have to have limited side armaments, as well as limited firing arc for the artillery beams. I see it like a tev Narayana. A killer from the front, but a flanked Nuadha is a dead Nuadha.

I see what you mean, it still needs to be tested though and as you can probably tell I have not even added the armaments to the model.
In the mean time I still need to figure out how to ship more than two textures with the model (ie. Normal, glow, shine) from Blender.
Turrets will be time consuming as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:16:56 pm by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
nice idea, nice design so far
keep it up
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
In the mean time I still need to figure out how to ship more than two textures with the model (ie. Normal, glow, shine) from Blender.

Unless I misunderstand your problem, you don't need to add the additional map textures in Blender. As long as they're named Nuadha-glow, -shine, etc. and you put them in the maps folder, PCS2 will recognize them.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft

Unless I misunderstand your problem, you don't need to add the additional map textures in Blender. As long as they're named Nuadha-glow, -shine, etc. and you put them in the maps folder, PCS2 will recognize them.
In my experience you have to assign materials to each lod and debris, and a texture to each material, before exporting. If this isn't the case please tell me.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
You have to add the materials in Blender so that the model references your diffuse texture. Now,  if your texture is called "Texture1" then FSO will automatically look for "Texture1-glow", "Texture1-normal", etc., so you don't need to add those in Blender and will take any compatible file extension, like png and dds.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well now, that simplifies things quite a bit. Expect an update tomorrow at 6PM GMT.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft

In my experience you have to assign materials to each lod and debris, and a texture to each material, before exporting. If this isn't the case please tell me.

It is the case.  To do this successfully, in the Collada exporter GUI, you need to have 'export material textures' selected.  Each image you want to apply needs to have a material, and each material then needs a relevant texture set to use the model's UV data.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Okay, so to set this straight finally. If I have the texture "text01.dds" assigned to detail0 as a material texture, it is the ONLY texture I require to be assigned, the game will automatically assign "text01-glow" etc. to the model as long as the base name before -glow is the same as the material texture?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Okay, so to set this straight finally. If I have the texture "text01.dds" assigned to detail0 as a material texture, it is the ONLY texture I require to be assigned, the game will automatically assign "text01-glow" etc. to the model as long as the base name before -glow is the same as the material texture?
After conversion, and it the text01-glow is in the proper folder... Exactly :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well, that wraps that up. The model is almost finished (ie. basic shape is finished), now comes the most difficult part of modelling capships I suppose.
It's a good thing I did my homework, except I still don't know if I parent subobjects to detail0 or fuse them to the hull.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Either one is valid, both options work well and have no noticeable in-game differences.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well now. Thanks for the info.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
So before I screw something up, I want to know if I have the turrets set up correctly.

The orange dots are the turret base and turret barrel's origins.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Not sure if that's the correct way or not.  I've always thought it's 'turret01-base' and 'turret01-arm' but that didn't auto-setup for me, so I don''t know.  Might I suggest applying edge-split modifiers to your ships so you can get smooth surfaces by selecting everything and pressing W and selecting shade smooth?

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Holy Crap, that looks so much better. Thanks.

Upon closer inspection of the turret tutorial I believe the origins are fine.

I believe I can go full steam ahead now.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Aesaar

I don't think PCS2 actually cares what the turret arm (or the turret base, for that matter) is called as long as its parent is the turret in question.  I always went with Turret01 -> Turretarm01.  Obviously, it's best to call it something recognisable so it's easy to tell PCS2 what turret01's arm is when you're setting your turrets up. 

It is worth noting that I set up all firepoints in PCS2, rather than using empties in Blender like I think Esarai does.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:18:34 pm by Aesaar »