Author Topic: A Dialogue On FreeSpace 3: Derek Smart & HLP  (Read 28907 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
A Dialogue On FreeSpace 3: Derek Smart & HLP
90 pages isn't that long to read. To remember, as in memorizing 90 pages of controls? **** yeah.

And I dunno. Smart's approach to gaming sounds in some ways a lot like my preferred take on, well, a lot of things- just try and stick as many cool functions as possible, if necessary at the expense of all that unnecessary fluff like (in the case of games) pretty graphics, stability, or a simple control scheme.

That said, he's got it waaaay worse than I do, I mostly resist the urge for feature creep once it becomes detrimental, and I don't assume everyone else wants to play games, view models, and mess with machinery that are unnecessarily complicated and only really work if you spend hours tweaking it. The ctrl+alt+a thing still freaks me out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 12:10:34 am by 262 »

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Interesting read here http://www.gonegold.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007838

DS makes some interesting comments....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 01:15:22 am by 1241 »
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Thanks guys for agreeing with me. :)

And thanks Zarathud for your good wishes. :) I'll do my best!

I also agree with Lib's detailed points about what FS3 requires: Top graphics, engrossing storyline, high-class voice talent and music scoring. I mean, who here DOESN'T like Admiral Petrarch? :D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I vote for Freespace: The Real-Time Strategy Game! ;7
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
nevermind

Offline Cyker

People I'd trust with FS aside from :V:?
That's a tough one... the only people that come to mind are Totally Games (Made the X-Wing series)

There are several companies I would trust with engine and graphics development but they're the only ones I could even slightly trust with the story, but I'd much rather have :V: do it because they MADE the story!

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Alright, I've said my piece in the OTHER thread, but since we're being asked to play nice in this one....

Derek, if you really want to have a chance in hell of pleasing the fandom, you need to do your research.  Play the game again.  Then check out some of the more popular campaigns out there.  Like it or not, this is more or less what we want to play.  Please keep that in mind should you get the license.  Remember, if you piss off the fans then you won't have anything.  We, the fans, made it possible for the FS universe to continue to exist as it is today.  We can just as easily break it.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Inquisitor

Make the pain stop...
No signature.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
what I think is interesting is that ALL of the other fourms I have visited that bring up DS EVERYONE hates him.  

Its kinda funny.!!!
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Inquisitor

Pain... Stop....
No signature.

Offline Falcon

Originally posted by Inquisitor
Pain... Stop....

Try asprin or alieve should help.

Offline Starks

I can tell FS3's minimum specs are gonna make me cry REGARDLESS of who makes it...
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Does anyone in the fs2 community know anyone that works for THQ? if so i think it would be an idea to try to get THQ to buy the freespace franchise.

1. they could make a shed load of money - if they get V to make it, and release it on Xbox,PS2,Gamecube and PC. There a lot of games that are released on every platform, if V make it for the PC then port it to the consoles, a lot of money can be made - its not just the PC that needs a good space shooter.

2.It wouldnt take long for V to make, they could base their new engine on the work that SCP have done...

3.It would be cheap for such a giant like THQ to buy the liscense.

4.Derek Smart is not the man to make fs3, it will be pants if he makes it...

5.If V made it we could have 32 player, multiplayer insanity, due to modern technology and the wonders of broadband.

feel free to add to this list of why THQ should buy freespase franchise.

IF Derek Smart does make FS3 and ruin it , we should pretend it dont exist and make our own.

Offline Zarax

The community should try to acquire any material, plot and sketches left from [V] and any ex worker, especially those who wrote the plot...
This way we can ensure a minumum fidelity level regardless (sort of) who will develop it...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by xenobyte6666
1. they could make a shed load of money - if they get V to make it, and release it on Xbox,PS2,Gamecube and PC. There a lot of games that are released on every platform, if V make it for the PC then port it to the consoles, a lot of money can be made - its not just the PC that needs a good space shooter.

More like: Xenon, Revolution(N5], PS3 and PC;)

those have enough Horse power play any games
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Zarax
sketches left from [V]

Believe me, if there was any way of doing that, they'd be on my desk already, FS3 or not :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Zarax

Not that i underestimate your skills on the task, but has anything ever done in that direction in a community way rather than individual efforts?
Also, we have to consider that the recent issue with DS changed the playground quite a bit, and maybe ways that were closed before now might be open...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Pain... Stop....

Well since the recent spacesim thread on Avault hasn't had him show up yet, I'm thinking that we're all safe for the time being.

I personally tried to keep an open mind through this and asked Mr. Smart about his ideas for FS3.

When the ideas include thing such as:
*Fully dynamic, ongoing real time war
*First person 3d mainhalls

I'm seeing a pattern of needless features that can take away from the pacing of a game that is first and foremost an action game.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
Get this...Derek Smart is claiming on the Gone Gold forums (his third post down) that he was just playing "devil's advocate" with us.   :devil: The man has no shame...but he does say "no MOD support for a FS3 created by Derek Smart."  I think that alone tells the story, folks.  :no:

Derek Smart's post in its entirety:

ack! I think I see where the confusion might be. Now that you posted those excerpts and I've had the chance to think about it again, I think I see the confusion.

The first excerpt to Derek Meek (someone who tinkers with the FS2 source code) was in regards to their having access to any new Freespace3 material IF I got the license. Meaning, they've currently got the Freespace2 stuff (which I won't have any intentions of messing with), but they won't be allowed to do any modding and whatnot of Freespace3, using any of my materials if I so choose. And the way to control that is to not release any modding tools to a bunch of folks who spent their time slamming me rather trying to see how everyone wins if a dedicated and supportive (I support my games until the OS they run on, stops working) developer got to make the next Freespace game.

And my follow-up points were not particularly about me, I was playing devil's advocate by reminding them that any other person who grabs the rights to Freespace, can do as they very well please. And that includes preventing anyone from doing anything related to Freespace.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 11:02:32 pm by 259 »
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Falcon

I seriously thought this thread was over with can someone lock this please :sigh: