So you've seen the screenshots and want to join the team? Wondering if the team can use your vast talents in order to get the game out faster? Well although we're a fairly big team for an indie game, we're wondering too. There are likely to be some very talented people wondering by to take a look at this thread so here's what we need. C and C++ Programmers
- We are always on the look out for competent C and C++ coders. We are especially in need of coders with experience in OpenGL, net code, AI or physics engines but we should be able to find something to do for any coder. We also require Mac and Linux coders since we don't want to treat those platforms as "also rans" next to Windows. The amount of support we can give those two is dependant on how many people we can get to help us fix bugs specific to those platforms though.
Since our code is Open Source you can check it out before applying if you wish. You can find the info on how to check the code out of SVN here
- We could use more people to help us make ships. We've got quite a big fleet to fill out. Anyone applying needs to be able to model, map and texture ships themselves (We've tried having people who could only do 1 or 2 of those and it rarely worked out very well). The applicant also needs to be willing to learn how to use the various modding tools needed to make the model work in the game.
Examples of prior work are an absolute must for anyone applying to join us. Preferably including low to medium poly game models. 3D animators
- For creating rendered cutscenes for the game. Examples of previous work will be required and must demonstrate the ability to render space scenes similar in quality to the show. Mission Designers
- The team is willing to hire more FREDders but we expect a very high level of ability with FRED. Examples of previous work using released FS2_Open mods or TCs are required. Sound Engineers
- We are in need of sound engineers capable of making the effects heard in the show for the ships and weapons. We also need someone capable of processing the voice acting for missions, briefings and cutscenes. Scriptwriters
- The team are looking into the possibility of hiring a professional scriptwriter to work on the dialogue, characterisation and plot of the later releases. The emphasis there is on the word professional. Writing fanfic does not count. If you have not earned a living scriptwriting (or won awards for it) you need not apply.
Examples of previous work will be required. Voice Actors
- We do need voice actors but you shouldn't apply for the job here. Instead read this thread
.How to apply
Post on this thread what you can do for us along with examples that prove it. Do not PM me!
(I swear that warning gets larger with every post and yet someone still misses it!
). Applications are vetted by the team so PMing me or some other team member will only slow down your application. A PM is acceptable though if for some reason you can not post openly.
Applicants will be given a trial period prior to getting full access to the game. This is to prevent time wasters and those who are only trying to get access (Most of the team have experienced problems with people like that in the past). The length of the trial period will be based on the job being done, how well the applicant works with the team and how much progress is made. Any work made during the trial period will of course be credited if it is used in the final game regardless of whether or not the applicant makes it onto the team.What we don't need
Experience has shown we'll probably get more posts from people who don't have the skills we need but want to help out in some way. So here's a list of the things we don't need. If that's all you can do for us, thank you for your interest but we can't use you. BSG "Experts"
- Hard though it might be to believe, a bunch of people willing to spend several hours a week doing an unpaid computer game design job just so that they can play a BSG game might actually be big fans of the show.
Unless you actually worked on the show or have planted a listening bug in RDM's fillings you probably don't know the show any better than we do. If we ever do come up with an issue we can't answer we'll post it on the forums for you to have a go but we don't need someone permanently on staff just for that function. Beta-Testers
- Nice try but no, you can't have the game early in return for playing it through a couple of times and then posting a couple of comments.
Beta-testing requires us finding people willing to play the game until they are completely sick of it and as such will be carried out in-house or by invitation only.