Author Topic: On content creation and community  (Read 12962 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: On content creation and community
Okay you know what?

Somebody nominate a campaign I can play and do another Good/Bad/Ugly on it. One I haven't already done. And isn't WiH because I'd like to finish it within the next week and I'd be there for at least eight days with WiH taking notes on everything.

AXEM, THIS IS YOUR CUE.

My first campaigns before I upgraded to FSO from retail were a pair of campaigns (one is a sequel to the other) called Incursion and Return to Sol, and I think they're great. Persist past the first few missions. The quality really picks up. 46 missions in total.

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.36
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.37

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Incursion
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Return_to_Sol
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:05:52 pm by Lorric »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Would it help a bit to move Missions and Campaigns and Multi to right below GenFS on the boards listing?  As it is they're getting kinda lost amidst Modding and FRED support that could scare off a ten-second newcomer*.

* probably/possibly.  I'm no longer a newcomer, so I'm not sure how much that means coming from me.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This idea has merit. Thinking about it.. I know I'd probably pay attention to the M&C board more. It's like advertising, placement means a whole lot. Also, those boards are probably the first steps new people should take before FREDing and Modding.. so it makes sense.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lorric

I agree. You could even think about moving it right to the top.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Personally I'd move all the forums around a little. Here's my suggestion.

Announcements - Unchanged

Freespace
- General Freespace Discussion
- Multiplayer
- Freespace and Freespace Open Support

Freespace Mods
- Missions And Campaigns
- FreeSpace Upgrade Project
- Freespace Campaign Restoration Project
- All Fully/Partially Released Campaigns Go Here.

Full Games - Unchanged

Diaspora - Unchanged

Other Mods - This is where MechCommander OmniTech, etc will go if released.

Modding, Mission Design and Coding
- FS2_Open Mission Design
- FS2_Open Modding
- FS2_Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)
- FS2_Open Tools (Expand this section so that it becomes an good starting point for newbies to understand how to get all the tools to get into modding. Either using stickies, Wiki links or a mixture of the two).
- FS2_Open Scripting
- Voice Acting

Community
- Interviews (I say we bring these back, they're a good way to encourage community feeling and get the content providers the feedback they're complaining they don't get. A good interview generally leads to more discussion of the game than just the release thread does).
- Fan Fiction and Art
- Freespace Wiki (although maybe this can be in the section above).

Works In Progress, etc - Unchanged

The idea is to set out our stall first, show people all the great stuff we've produced first. Then how we made it and how they can get started. Part of me is tempted to put the Full Games section above Freespace but I suspect that would be too controversial. :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:59:33 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I like it.  Missions and Campaigns gets the equivalent of a first berth, which is really what I think is one of the more important parts, and there's an entire part of the forum for "NEW CONTENT FOR FREESPACE" which is sorely lacking right now.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I definitely wouldn't mind that setup!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

What do you think about a second highlights row above the forum? Probably text-only, less height than the regular highlights, and about 6-8 entries wide. There you put minor releases like ships, single missions (of note), major project patches, interviews, wiki drives, etc.

That way all those things get a lot more attention than in the announcements board or in their respective subforums without conflicting with the big highlights for things like campaigns and FSO releases.

(I also like kara's re-arrangement of forums)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
What do you think about a second highlights row above the forum? Probably text-only, less height than the regular highlights, and about 6-8 entries wide. There you put minor releases like ships, single missions (of note), major project patches, interviews, wiki drives, etc.
This please. :yes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Lorric

I think there should be encouragement for people to make single missions. Full fledged campaigns, let alone the big projects like Wings of Dawn, Wing Commander Saga and Blue Planet take a huge commitment. Someone might not have the time or desire for that, but they might have one or two kickass missions in them.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
This please. :yes:

Get's my vote too. :yes:

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business

:yes: O Gawd, I want this!
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Active FS2 projects:
BP
BtA
Inferno (sorta FS2)
JAD (sorta FS2)
Teeth of the Tiger

Active non-FS2 projects:
Dimensional Eclipse (Not sure what kind of future plans Droid has, but I assume he has them)
Fringespace? (No real clue actually)
WoD
Fate of the galaxy (At least I think its not dead)
Diaspora

Partially fixed. Given the release of something every several weeks, this list is definitely incomplete. Not everyone updates often, not everyone writes about every single thing they do.

TotT currently counts nearly 500 MB, over 30 ships built from scratch, and then more... Much more. :P

Each and every ship and player usable missile comes with its tech description that will give an idea on the background of their users. All this takes lots of time (I needed to write a timeline just to get the descriptions consistent with each other).

I only publish a few interesting things to show the mod is being worked on, but some of the surprises will be released when it's released.
They wouldn't be as surprising when the player runs into them if their screenshots are already floating around...

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other mods out there that don't get much publicity until release.

Then there's the fact that some people burn out or run out of time for modding and do a single tech description per week (in a good week), only to come back and push things waaay forward when they get the right mood again.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Shadow Genesis isn't that new :P. First version of the mod was almost as old as Blue Planet and it's on HLP from more than a year. I would rather place Pandemonium in the new projects section.

And... SoA is dead? I've heard about almost complete act I, but they are just working in silence.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
SoA is certainly not dead.  It is taking longer than we'd like, but that is really a function of lack of time on my part (and the fact that I'm currently focusing on SCP due to 3.6.14 and 3.6.16).  I need to figure out how to work as efficiently as MjnMixael. :nervous:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I really wanted to reply to this sooner, but I kept having stuff interrupt me every time I tried to sit down and do it.  It's a bit late at this point, but thanks for throwing yourself to the proverbial (actual?) wolves, Axem. :yes: You made some very well-founded points in there.  That other ****ty thread aside, I can definitely see how a relative lack of feedback on a new release can seem discouraging, especially when it's a FREDder like you throwing all sorts of crazy complicated tricks under the hood.  I think the one problem there is that, to the uninitiated like me, it can be extremely hard to tell from the outside that a certain mission took a massive amount of trial-and-error to pull something amazing off.  I've always enjoyed reading threads where FREDders/coders go into more detail about specific tricks they've pulled off; stuff like your more advanced tutorials, or Battuta's legendary bughunt threads, help give the rest of us a peek into that side of modding.  If there is something that you're not sure was worth the time investment, maybe try making a thread like that, and see if something comes of it. :)

I completely agree with the idea that we're not doing a proper job of making content visible to even our own community, much less outsiders; there's a whole lot that flies under people's radars, even those of us who are fairly involved here.  Black Wolf had a great point in that, for the more casual visitor, HLP is primarily a website about FS2 modding, not just the forum that most of us skip directly to.  The front page really needs a significantly-higher rate of news posts, to get out there the amount of work that's actually happening.  I can't help but think of the few times I've visited the Wing Commander CIC site, which seems to have one or two news postings per day...they can't really be that many times more active than we are, can they?  I don't know if the answer is to bring on a few new staff members solely dedicated to making news posts, or for those of us who already can to step it up, or both, but something has to change there.  As it stands, if you've created something cool and haven't seen it promoted, please, feel free to bug me or one of the other global mods/admins about it, and we'll get it posted.  We usually respond well to prodding. :p

The points about the general user-friendliness of mod pages on the wiki and FSMods is another good one, though that's an issue that's a bit more difficult to resolve.  While any of us can edit the wiki, the sort of really comprehensive presentation that'd work best is something that I think is best suited to the mod's original creators.  And as far as I know, FSMods changes like that would fall solely on Swantz, which is too much to pile on top of someone who's already doing a ton by running the site in the first place.  We could probably use some brainstorming on this part.

I agree that we should try to diversify the site's overall focus somewhat; giving the MechCommander and StarShatter projects/communities a home here sets a great precedent.  Obviously not every space-sim-ish/open-source game under the sun is in need of a home, but I'm sure there are enough out there that it'd be worth pursuing.  Trying to tap into the excitement over Chris Roberts' new campaign is an opportunity we shouldn't pass up either.

And finally, I'm completely behind a "Campaign of the Month" project; lord knows I have a pretty massive backlog myself.  I'm a fairly-active anime viewer, and I've always found that it's easiest to sit down and watch stuff if I'm doing it as part of some external ongoing discussion, so something like this would definitely get me playing on a regular basis again.  If someone sets it up, I'm there. :yes:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Campaign a month would definitely get me to take a break from my many, many projects and play a campaign as long as there actually -is- discussion going on about it. Would that work best as it's own board or something?

Might also serve as a motivator to get older campaigns up to a bare minimum of running on new builds. Whoever runs it could make sure the download includes a mod folder, mod.ini, basic mod image... and perhaps that it will at least load without crashing FSO.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:48:58 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have just one suggestion adding to that "Campaign of the Month" idea: don't put Blue Planet, WoD, Vassago's Dirge, etc. on it.  Everyone knows those campaigns are excellent.  There are others that could definitely use some more exposure, especially to new folks.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I think The Antagonist is probably the first one as pretty much everyone has commented on how underrated it is.

Offline Axem

An idea to tie all of these ideas together... and then some.

The HLP Newsletter
In your face Freespace community action news

In the interests of expanding community visibility to its members, new and old, the HLP newsletter would be a monthly affair to keep everyone up to date with goings on. With a light and fanciful tone to it, it shines a warm glow on anything that people have made or shown off.

With the monthly editions, an archive begins to grow where anyone can read up on past events without having to keep asking "Hey, what's new?"

Categories:
HLP News: Is it Wiki drive time? Donation time? New contests?
Campaign/Mod News: What new campaign releases, announcements, or neat discussions are going on? Are projects looking for help?
Model News: Showing off WIPs and finished goods. Pictures everywhere!
Source Code News: Is there a new feature that was added? Funny bug stories? Did something get changed that modders should know about?
Interview: Find a person or team and interview them. Find out what's going on, what makes them tick, where they hid the bodies.
Fanciful Review: We play a campaign, alternating between new and old stuff, and review it, post thoughts and pose questions about it to encourage discussion about it. Could be announced a head of time so others could play it as well and add their thoughts down.
Screencap Contest: Challenge readers to take a prize winning screencap based on a weekly theme. Winners get... points. Or something. So even if readers have nothing else they can contribute to, they can hop in FreeSpace for half an hour and nab a shot to show off the FreeSpace engine.

And at the end of every year, a Yearly Edition. A scrapbook of released content, highlights and HLPness. Something to reflect on and for people who have been away for quite a while to look at and see all the neat stuff.

This would be a way to get everyone in a participating mood, whether you mod, FRED, play, or just read.

Thoughts?