Author Topic: Crash on WiH Act 3, Mission 2  (Read 7535 times)

Re: Crash on WiH Act 3, Mission 2
Wow, thank you very much for fast replies! I'll proceed to try those.

EDIT: The new 3.7.1 SSE2 BP build fixed things :) Although I find it a bit inconvenient to use 3 different exes simply when switching between mods. The new 3.7.1 BP build is good ONLY for BP2, it doesn't add widescreen scaling to BP1, so I have to keep using Yarn's BP build with that. But yeah, this is really not a huge problem. Just very confusing to new BP players.

I think yous guys should definitely upgrade your BP complete installer executable. It still includes only 3.6.17 build.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:56:26 pm by Lykurgos88 »

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Right?  These guys make actual gaming companies look like the government when it comes to fixes.  Heck, comparing our fellow members to the government is an insult to our members.  You guys are awesome :D

I'll post a build using the latest BP release and Yarn's patch file.  Cool?

(If I am not allowed to post the build, then go ahead and delete it off my post or reply and I'll do it myself.  Don't want to get into trouble :( )
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think yous guys should definitely upgrade your BP complete installer executable. It still includes only 3.6.17 build.
I think they're waiting for a few outstanding bugs to be fixed (and possibly for the finished Erebus model) before doing a new complete installer. I don't think anyone would disagree that that 3.6.17 build needs to leave circulation (it has a known corruption bug).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, I have to revise my previous statement. The newest 3.7.1 BP build doesn't seem to work 100% perfectly. I get a CTD if (and only if) I try to play two missions in a row in Act 3. I can complete the campaign now (as opposed to the Yarn's BP build), but I still have to restart the game after every mission to avoid CTD. Still, not a game-breaking issue, but there seems to be something really odd going on with the Act 3.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
What sort of crash are you getting?  I think I've been seeing something similar with playing any two missions in a row (i.e. non BP missions), possibly a dock-path assertion?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
The same thing happens to me but only on occasion. I can guarantee it is not limited to BP though as it happens with almost any mod (Vanilla with MVPs, JAD, etc.) I have played with the newest builds.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

What sort of crash are you getting?  I think I've been seeing something similar with playing any two missions in a row (i.e. non BP missions), possibly a dock-path assertion?

Crash to Desktop, as in "Freespace Open has made an illegal operation and must be closed". It happens when I press Commit after playing at least one mission previously. This has happened ONLY with BP2. BP1 didn't crash at all, nor has any of my 10+ mods crashed even once. BP2 just doesn't want to co-operate with me :(

I'll post a new fs2open.log, if anyone wants. I'll just have to get home first :P

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
sure, a log of the crash would be good.

Also, are you using a different executable for BP2 to all the other mods that didn't have problems?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

At the moment I use 3 different exes:

- 3.7.1 BP build for BP2
- 3.7.1 BP Yarn's build for BP1
- 3.7.1 Yarn's Adaptable HUD build for everything else (+10 mods)

Only BP2 seems to give problems. Or specifically, WIH Act 3 seems to be the most problematic. Acts 1&2 crashed very rarely.

Here is a log file.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:56:25 am by Lykurgos88 »

Offline Echelon9

At the moment I use 3 different exes:

- 3.7.1 BP build for BP2
- 3.7.1 BP Yarn's build for BP1
- 3.7.1 Yarn's Adaptable HUD build for everything else (+10 mods)

Only BP2 seems to give problems. Or specifically, WIH Act 3 seems to be the most problematic. Acts 1&2 crashed very rarely.

Here is a log file.

Hrmm, there's an Assertion in that log trigger the crash that time.

Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "dock_list == NULL" at object.cpp:157
 dock_list should have been cleared already!
Int3(): From d:\fso\scp bp\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1040

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That is the issue I thought I saw recently, I believe it is a recently introduced bug, possibly from r9995.  I'll have to run some tests to confirm that.
----
----

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, the bug that was preventing you from playing two missions in a row should be squashed.  Could you please confirm that?  Simplest way to test would be to get the compatibility pack for BP & BP2, then grab the next nightly build that includes revision r10058 (it should be ready in a few hours).

If that issue is fixed, could you check to see if the Spinning Space Stations of Doom issue is fixed as well.  If it isn't please post another log. The debug executable should get a bit further before exiting and it'll (hopefully) give us some more info about the cause of that problem.

----
----

Tried some missions in a row with the Simulator and then proceeded to continue the Act 3 M05. So far, crashes and spinning are gone :)

While I can't promise that I don't run into new problems in the long run, I must say I'm very happy to see that things get updated and fixed so quickly. Even the 3d weapons selection GUi problem was fixed in the new build. I mean, it's truly amazing to see this old game getting the care it deserves. In the future, I might even volunteer as a beta-tester, in order to contribute to the overall effort even slightly.  :D

Just a small question, though. What are the specific features I'm missing out when using the compatibility vps? The opening post only referred something in the render code. I'd like to know more.

Okay, a new problem with the Act 3 Mi05 that I didn't notice before, since at first I just tested if those stations were gonna spin. The mission is quite difficult, but now it's even more difficult, since a horrible microlag starts right when I'm starting to destroy AWACS. The mission starts with a solid 60 fps, but after some point the game almost becomes unplayable, with 0,5 second freezes every 3 seconds. FPS is jumping from 60 to 0 like crazy.

Just a small question, though. What are the specific features I'm missing out when using the compatibility vps? The opening post only referred something in the render code. I'd like to know more.
IIRC, you are missing shadows, a bumped up number of dynamic light sources and glowpoints being capable of emitting light.

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
So niffiwan, using the normal build with the BP2 compatibility package is the same as using a BP2 build?  If that's the case then it would make things easier for me to apply the Yarn patch to the current build.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So niffiwan, using the normal build with the BP2 compatibility package is the same as using a BP2 build?
No, you miss out on
shadows, a bumped up number of dynamic light sources and glowpoints being capable of emitting light.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I have effectively hijacked this thread now, but I think I know what's causing those mysterious microlags (BTW they don't occur in any other mission so far). At some point, a single Cerberus turret warps millions of kilometers away from the battlefield. I completed the mission, even though it was tough with all the lagging, and I found the last hostile target far away:

I don't know how the engine works, but I think some object that far could confuse some process.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's weird to see that happen, but that shouldn't cause any issues. Far away objects are just that; they do not interact with anything.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Holy ****. Millions of kilometers away? And why would there be a Alastor warping in, anyway? It connected to anything in the mission?