Author Topic: Experimental Project  (Read 12888 times)

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
Hello folks

i discovered blender some weeks ago and started modeling.
I'm trying a experimental ship inspired by the historical ship of the line and Spanish galeons.
My modding skills are rather low and, I don' have that much time as i would like to have.
So I would be very glad if someone has interrest in supporting me.
And I would be truly glad about a high amount of fair comments.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:46:59 pm by cahdoge »
Understanding do you me?

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Welcome to the world of amateur modellers   :p

I´m learning and practice as well, so right now i´m building a basic set of containers to make my skills better.
Is a good idea to start with basic models just to learn the other process more easy, i mean UV map and texturing.

There are many nice tutorials on the web and also on this forums....

If you are using Blender here you have a very nice tutorial, may be you know that...

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84335.0

Here the models that i´m working on...., good luck and be patient  :)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:21:38 am by coffeesoft »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Your works look decent enough, plus you seem to have a good texturing skills which are rare to find on a modder.
Might I inquire how are you treating flat surfaces?, I'm saying this because some of the models seem to have a little more polies than they'd need, eg: the first canister class-k. It shows 4k polies yet it's blocky enough, save for those lateral slim tubes.

(take all of this from a modder that made his last model 3 years ago :P)
el hombre vicio...

Offline Luis Dias

So I just signed in to p3d and the funny thing is the very first thing I get to see when I logged in was a video tuturial of how it works with a model by... Oddgrim!!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Cahdoge - It's a good start and an interesting concept, though you may struggle to get it appropriately greebled if you stick too slavishly to your inspiration, so don't be afraid to branch out a but. Also, why the huge number of quads on that one side?

Coffeesoft - if you want feedback, maybe you could post a separate thread? This one looks like it might be on the way towards an (inadvertent) hijacking.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline cahdoge

I'm thinking of a kind of heavy artillery.
So my main plan is placing around 100 turrets where the squares are.

I placed them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:37:02 am by cahdoge »
Understanding do you me?

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Your works look decent enough, plus you seem to have a good texturing skills which are rare to find on a modder.
Might I inquire how are you treating flat surfaces?, I'm saying this because some of the models seem to have a little more polies than they'd need, eg: the first canister class-k. It shows 4k polies yet it's blocky enough, save for those lateral slim tubes.

Yes, those models are not finished, just i use like a example.
I have to finish the modelling and change some things that can be done with textures and normal maps, also the texturing is not finished.
Now i´m working on other things so i don´t have too much time to finish them.

Anyway, many thanks for the feedback, i will to share with the community when i finish the job and make a new thread  :),
but i want to finish at least 2 of the Containers...

NOTE : The imperial, rebel pilot and Escape Pod of my p3d account was not modelled by me, just i do the conversion for Freespace.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:56:27 pm by coffeesoft »

Offline cahdoge

coffesoft nothing personally, but could you be so kindly to move your models in a other thread.
I'm searching for response to my model.

If you have constructive critics please tell me.
Understanding do you me?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
cahdoge, this model could be an interesting concept if fleshed-out, but it doesn't quite seem FreeSpace-y. Do you want this to be an FS-universe model, or something in a different setting entirely? 100 small artillery cannons don't seem like the kind of weapons which an FS warship would have. Also, how big is this ship?

Also, it seems a bit too blocky; maybe you could break up the shape of the ship with some more lines/curves/detail.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline cahdoge

I'm planing to offer it to the Freespace comunity.
My in tension is making a prototype at all points.

The greebles are still missing and will be added at last in the process of modeling.

I'll try to show the fully turreted version around next week. (I' celebrating carnival so I can't promise everything)

I'm thinking of a length of about 3000 meters / 1.7 nautical miles
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:03:51 am by cahdoge »
Understanding do you me?

Offline cahdoge

The Turret thing went faster than I thought.
Understanding do you me?

Offline cahdoge

I've started greebling and search for inspiration and critics.
Understanding do you me?

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Looks pretty good so far... better than I could ever conceive with blender, as I am more of a mission and table modder :D

Keep adding detail and get her textured and it will be a great addition to the fleet  :yes:
Teacher: "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it!"

Student: "Teacher... there is an exception to this rule."

Teacher: "And what is that student?"

Student: "Catching the Iceni"

Offline cahdoge

I finished greebling the flak- and beam-turrets.

Does anyone have ideas for the backside greebles?
Understanding do you me?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If I can suggest something....

Don't waste that many polys on turrets. They're cool but also small, and not that noticable. I think you should focus on greebling main hull of the ship, and smoothing prow of the ship.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline cahdoge

More like this?

Or more like this?

Understanding do you me?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
More or less. It's a good start :D. Remember about Edge Split, and go add some details all across the hull.
You can also rethink some change to the overall shape. I think front of the ship should looks similar to this:

Goodluck!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline cahdoge

I added the nose and some other stuff.

Understanding do you me?

Offline cahdoge

Hello guys.
The work isn't going as planned the look of just gets worse and I'm so far away from my originla idea that I decided to make a break and will restet the whole attempt.

I'll delet this topic the coming weekend at the least.
Understanding do you me?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Please do not delete the topic. You may or may not technically have permission to do so, I'm not sure how the board is set up. However, deleting posts is frowned upon  on HLP, even the mods and admins don't do it. You're perfectly welcome to do whatever you choose with the project itself, of course.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp