Author Topic: [WIP] Agneya heavy artillery frigate  (Read 4588 times)

[WIP] Agneya heavy artillery frigate
Hello everybody and welcome :)

Today I would like to show you a chunk of metal that me and Betrayal are currently working on. This ship will serve as a heavy artillery unit equipped with a huge frontal cannon and point defence screen. The model was done by lukasz. Betrayal took care of the UVmapping and I'm struggling with photoshop job.

It's a ship made specially for the mod known as Mystery Project :) The full title and more details will be revealed in time. I must admit that this model is a texturing challenge because of a tricky mapping. Skeleton design did not make the UVmapping easier:P I'm trying to sharpen my painting skills as much as I can.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: [WIP] Agneya heavy artillery frigate
Oh, wow, you people managed to make my horrible babbys_first_kitbash abomination actually look good by remodelling it.  :yes: :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Updating the thread with p3D window :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cool!

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Wow, both the model and textures are great!  :yes: :yes:

As for the textures.

Do you guys have any suggestions how to improve it :)? I know how to handle hull plating but when it comes to details I'm getting a bit confused. I can copy/paste details from other textures but I want to keep it to minimum.

OK. Diffuse maps are basically ready. Maybe I will add some more lines in the hull plates. We will see.

I can say that I achieved the primary goal. Make a solid, raw piece of metal. Initially I planned to paint more complex pieces of details but mapping and overall shape of the ship told me :"NOPE". I'm too much of a beginner. Some pieces of textures which are missing will be finished by Betrayal. Now it's time to dig into some tutorials and find out how to make glowmaps :P

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
The ship is perfect as is, you don't need more details, it'll just add noise to a good looking ship.

The glowmap is basically a black texture where you paint the parts that are supposed to emit light. The stronger the light, the more intense the color value. They use the same UV map and the texture must be named as the diffused but with the -glow suffix. See Herra's texturing tutorial on the wiki for more information.
If you want to bake the reflected light, I refer you to my guide on baking glowmaps.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I finished cleaning her up, and unified all four textures into one. Finally... This ship is a real pain in the ass o___O
Don't mind smoothing. I have to redo edge split.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

With the uv's finished I finally can begin work on normal

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
And...

We've got a winner here :D. Still awaiting for new normals and debris, but I managed to convert her.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Good job guys!  :yes:
Some suggestions:
Add some AO on the diffuse and multiply some metal texture over the specular (you can use a tileable texture, it'll be hard to notice the patterns). It'll tone done the shine (I think it looks a bit too shiny) and it'll feel more like metal and less like plastic.
Add even more detail to the specular by painting over the edges with a grunge brush. Duplicate the layer: use a dark grey color for the diffuse and a bright grey for the specular, it'll help looking like there are chips in the paint.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Thanks for suggestions :). We actually have proper normalmap in WiP stage. That's why many details still disappear, and she has pretty basic specular [not adjusted yet]. I'm gonna differentiate basic color scheme, add some dirt and other stuff to it.

Agneya received a final normal map. The last things remaining are the debris. Apart from that the ship is ready to roll and unleash a rain of metal upon her targets.

Nice job fellas :) I can see the texturing process has improved and gotten more sophisticated since my GVF Shu days.  A crackin job!

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
That's what I'm calling "fruitfull collab" ^^! My br0 started to realize that he's damn talented man :D