Author Topic: What's the deal with this? (warning: Big Screen caps)  (Read 3467 times)

What's the deal with this? (warning: Big Screen caps)
So in the BWO forum, I expressed my dismay at their using FSOpen as it didn't work too good on my computer. Not understanding my problems, I provided them some screen caps and one guy said that I should post 'em up over here. So here they are, maybe you can explain 'em to me.

I don't know much about my computer btw, but I'm running win98 with a computer which I believe is 300mhz overclocked to 450mhz. For graphics I've got "Direct3D 8" and "Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT".

Anyhow, here are the screens. I've added text to 'em for explanation:

Btw, I'm using build 3.6 I believe, or at least the file is fs2_open_3_6

« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 04:25:22 pm by 1332 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Best solution: Get a newer computer. For $200 you could get something 3 or 4 times better than that.

Assuming that isn't an option, what version of fs2_open are you using, and where did you get the copy of FS2 you're using it with?

It looks as though it's running at 1024x768 with the 640x480 HUD. :wtf:
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
He said he's using 3.6.

Try the 20041215 build in the Recent Builds forum and see if that fixes it.

What resolution do you have it set at?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Looks like you're using the HOTU version without the hi-res interface, but forced to 1024x768.
Would explain all the HUD offsets.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
FS2 Open is supposed to be for higher end computers, at least 1 GHZ. your 'puter can't handle all of the new snazziness. heck, 300 mhz is just barely above Vanilla FS2 recommended specs.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah welcome to 1998 :)

actualy FSO is mostly demending on your memory and video card, I would expect it to work fine on a slow procesor if it had a good vid card and  > 512 megs of ram.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

What resolution do you have it set at?

I believe the resolution is set at whatever the other guy said . . .  1024x768.

FS2 Open is supposed to be for higher end computers, at least 1 GHZ. your 'puter can't handle all of the new snazziness.

I don't have any of the new snaziness selected. In that box in the launcher where you pick the mod, there's that window lower down with all of the options you can click. None of them are clicked.

Looks like you're using the HOTU version without the hi-res interface, but forced to 1024x768.

Hotu? No siree, I've got the retail FS2 . . . I believe it's version 1.1 or something, as I always need to update it to 1.2. The directory FS2 Open was not an installed directory btw, it was a copy from another fresh install of FS2. Oh, when I say "retail" I mean I bought it from the store btw. I have the box, and the three CDs with the deimos on it in green, red and blue. Though my 3rd CD is kinda of crappy I think, as sometimes it has problems reading the music file from it.

Try the 20041215 build in the Recent Builds forum and see if that fixes it.

I'll go check it out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 10:54:49 pm by 1332 »

Offline WMCoolmon

Is the 'use hi-res interface art' box or somesuch checked?
-C

Uh, where would I find that? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the launcher.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
300mhz overclocked to 450mhz

Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT

Those two things are your biggest problems. Bottom line: Your computer is horribly out of date, and I think it is about time for a new one.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Uh, where would I find that? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the launcher.

Under video, there's a little checkbox that says 'Hi-res pack (sparki_hi_fs2.vp) installed' - it should be checked.
-C

Under video, there's a little checkbox that says 'Hi-res pack (sparki_hi_fs2.vp) installed' - it should be checked.

It's checked, but it's also greyed out so I couldn't uncheck it if I wanted to.

Those two things are your biggest problems. Bottom line: Your computer is horribly out of date, and I think it is about time for a new one.

I know it's out of date but I don't really have any need to upgrade it, I don't play a lot of games except for some oldies I got because I'm saving up for school.  Just thought I'd play some of the new campaigns coming out, if I could, but since it doesn't seem that I can, no big deal.

If that's 1024x768 mode then it's not using the correct interface art.

I suggest reinstalling FS2_retail, making sure you install the hi-res art (just install everything to be sure).  If and only if that doesn't fix it would the problem be definitely FS2_open.

Oh, incidentally, does the -nohtl mode still work?

BTW, some mods run like molasses on standard FS2.  The benefits that HTL brought allows FS2_open to run a lot faster on modern hardware.

Offline WMCoolmon

You could try this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,27037.0.html

It would at least let you play multiplayer again. :)

Edit: Just a thought, you aren't using any of the mediaVPs, right?
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel

Hotu? No siree, I've got the retail FS2 . . . I believe it's version 1.1 or something, as I always need to update it to 1.2. The directory FS2 Open was not an installed directory btw, it was a copy from another fresh install of FS2. Oh, when I say "retail" I mean I bought it from the store btw. I have the box, and the three CDs with the deimos on it in green, red and blue. Though my 3rd CD is kinda of crappy I think, as sometimes it has problems reading the music file from it.

From the fact that you're having problems reading the music from CD3 it's fairly obvious that you haven't done a full install of FS2. As a result you don't have sparky_hi_FS2.vp in your main folder which means that the game is streching the 640x480 files to fit on the 1024x768 screen.

What you need to do is either reinstall and do a full install or get hold of the sparky_hi_FS2.vp file from off of your CD and copy it to your  hard drive.

As for patching the game, since you're running FS2 Open you don't actually need the full patch. This version of the root.vp is all the patch you need to play on FS2_Open. (You might want to back up the 1.0 version you have at the moment in case you ever do decide to return to retail).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I've had that problem when running in anything less than 1024X768. What's your resolution?

Well, as my screen in windows is 1024x768, I know that simply from working with jpegs and the like, and it's evidence by the images in this thread as all of the screen caps are 1024x768.

Maybe I'll try to re-install FS2 specifically for FSOpen, though I doubt it will enhance the performance at all with my rather old (by 2 years I believe) computer.

Offline Solatar

Slightly off topic (but slightly related), is it possible to get better FPS by running fs2_open in lo-res? If so, you might want to try it. Won't look as spiffy, but you might at least be able to play.

EDIT: Also..running in lo-res may fix the problems with hi-res you're having ('cause there won't BE hi-res:D )

I'd try to get it working hi-res first though, simply 'cause it looks better.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:05:22 pm by 691 »

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Without question it will improve performance, unless you have a bigger bottleneck somewhere else. This way it only needs to render half as many things per frame.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

From my experiences of trying to run FSO on my friend's 450 mhz dell (1998), I would for sure say that your computer is fault. I would upgrade for sure if I were you because an overclocked old computer like you have has way too many bottlenecks.