Author Topic: GTM Hippocrates WIP  (Read 81300 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wow. Great job on that Hippocrates. Also, it's one of the best examples of well thought out HTL. When you look at the old model, the new one still follows the original lines, while adding a lot of detail. I wish all HTLs were like that.

BTW, could someone update the FSU ship list? A lot of things that are already done are still listed as WIPs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ah, seeing the original convinces me the Cylon visor has to go! It makes the ship look ten times smaller. Breaking it up with verticals could totally work.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This gets all of my :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Please PM it to me when your done... or PM what you have now for safekeeping. Do. Not. Want. these textures to get lost!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Is it odd that my first thought when seeing the new, textured version was "Starship Troopers?" :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
with the uv finished, i can present a preview!
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
wow, looking awesome!  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Really great work on that!

(I've got plenty of other unfinished models in FSU when you're done...)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sacre bleu, please, please, please kill the Cylon visor. We're looking at something bigger than an aircraft carrier here. All the other windows on the texture are beautiful and perfect, just break that big grin up into something that feels size-appropriate.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Awesome work.
But just a though, maybe you could reduce the contrast on the tiles a bit? I feel this boat is a bit too grungy for a medical facility.

Sacre bleu, please, please, please kill the Cylon visor. We're looking at something bigger than an aircraft carrier here. All the other windows on the texture are beautiful and perfect, just break that big grin up into something that feels size-appropriate.

Same here. In my opinion it would be better if you split the entire rift into several sections and make them in different colours. I don't think that making one huuuge, long window would make sense from engineering point of view.

"Windows are structural weakness" ;) They are cool looking but let's keep them to minimum.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Someone posted the big wide window from the Nebulon B in Empire Strikes Back earlier — that's a great example of how to do a big window on a medical frigate, it's teeeny compared to the overall ship and not very noticeable from outside.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Then again, stock model scaling in FreeSpace is kind of bull****... Whenever I look at the GTD Orion from a fighter point of view, I don't get the sensation that it can house thousands of crewmen.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Aesaar

I agree about the window.  It makes the ship look tiny.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Front looks very blunt compared to the previous version. Feels chibi but I applaud the work gone into it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Then again, stock model scaling in FreeSpace is kind of bull****... Whenever I look at the GTD Orion from a fighter point of view, I don't get the sensation that it can house thousands of crewmen.
That's because the default FOV is too high. Try something like -fov 0.6
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

The default FOV for a 16:9 monitor is 106.66... That's pretty reasonable, decreasing it will make you lose a lot of your peripheral vision.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Just try it. It's really worth it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Just try it. It's really worth it.

No ****... I did try it. The Erebus looks ****ing huge...

So I guess scaling isn't so bad after all. :nervous:

Another thing to remember is that your fighter isn't as small as you might think it is. That tiny Perseus is about double the size of a TIE/LN Starfighter for example. So while that Orion won't be ridiculously huge compared to your figher it's still 2km long and probably 400 metres wide or so.

Using NYC's population density of 10746/km^2 it should house ~8600 people. It's easily as tall or taller than NYC's skyscrapers so the comparison seems valid. And while a lot of the Orion is dedicated to warship stuff and can't house crew a lot of NYC is dedicated to busyness stuff and can't house people.
There are cities far exceeding NYC's population density, Paris has almost double the density for example.

For comparison, A Imperial-class Star Destroyer(the one most people know, it shows up at the very beginning of EPIV) is only 1600m in length.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:25:04 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Probably a little late for this, since the mesh is already finished... But I kind of miss that 'city in space' feeling that the old Hippo had, with all the window tiles it had. This looks much more armored than the old one, could almost be a combat ship rather than a civilian. Don't get me wrong, model and texture are absolutely top-notch (my only gripe would be the Cylon visor), only it doesn't quite carry the 'feel' of the old Hippo.

Anyway, that's just my humble two cents - regardless I'm very much looking forward to seeing this one finished and in-game :D