Author Topic: job opportunities  (Read 24366 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
well in the games xw is still a kickass ship btw, expecially when facing superior forces, ta is pretty similar, its faster and has more agility but it is also far more light both in shields and armor, and during battles shields and armor are more important than superior speed(until you are enough fast obviously)..it is pretty obvious, if someone is outmaneuvring you, you can just ignore him and attack the first target avaiable in face of you, when your wings will take care of the closer enemy, in this way a little group of xwings can easily slaughter large numbers of ties, even TAs, althought more difficult in this case...
a true kickass ship instead is assault gunboat it is incredibly maneuvrable considering its size, not so slow, it has superior armor and shields and with lasers and ions has also excellent firepower

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by KARMA
well in the games xw is still a kickass ship btw, expecially when facing superior forces, ta is pretty similar, its faster and has more agility but it is also far more light both in shields and armor, and during battles shields and armor are more important than superior speed(until you are enough fast obviously)..it is pretty obvious, if someone is outmaneuvring you, you can just ignore him and attack the first target avaiable in face of you, when your wings will take care of the closer enemy, in this way a little group of xwings can easily slaughter large numbers of ties, even TAs, althought more difficult in this case...
a true kickass ship instead is assault gunboat it is incredibly maneuvrable considering its size, not so slow, it has superior armor and shields and with lasers and ions has also excellent firepower

What are you talking about, man? I may have misunderstood you due to a  lack of punctuation and capitalization, but it seems like you were saying that the TIE Advanced is comprable to the X-Wing, but not as good?

In the original TIE Fighter game, where the TA was introduced, it was _far_ better than the X-Wing in nearly every respect except for hull rating and perhaps missile banks. But speed, maneuverability, and shields were definitely higher than the X-Wings.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
In the original TIE Fighter game, where the TA was introduced, it was _far_ better than the X-Wing in nearly every respect except for hull rating and perhaps missile banks. But speed, maneuverability, and shields were definitely higher than the X-Wings.

*memories*

ah yess, the original Tie Fighter. the only thing I remember is being stuck somewhere :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 12:27:13 pm by 517 »

Offline Razor

Originally posted by Killfrenzy
The X-Wing killed the Death Star because it, and the Nerf-wings (Y-Wings) were the only ships stationed at Yavin. The B-Wing hadn't been developed, and there weren't that many A-Wings in existence.

And yes, the X-Wing is slow, handles like a wet sponge and when faced with overwhelming odds dies far too quickly.

Now, the A-Wing on the other hand............;7

A-wing is my fighter of choice. It's fast, maneuvarable and employs advanced weaponry and propulsion systems (sp?) It's a good thing the empire doesn't have it! :shaking:

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by Sandwich

What are you talking about, man? I may have misunderstood you due to a  lack of punctuation and capitalization, but it seems like you were saying that the TIE Advanced is comprable to the X-Wing, but not as good?

shields are lower...
btw in the games (and-believe me- i know the sw games pretty well, both single and multiplayer, both missions and melees) heavy fighters have a big edge compared to light fighters when there is mess (so everytime it is not a duel, in duels you can win for example with a TI against an xw), and xwing is a good balance between maneuvrability, speed and hull/shields points, better than ta
in 2v2 for example (standard xvt team melee) the xw can beat TA, if you play with the right strategies(so if you avoid dogfight, you make frontal attacks as much as possible and you exchange  target with your wingmen whenever it is needed, so to cover each others six), and this is more true when the number of possible targets increase

the point is that you can reduce or even cancel the disadvantage in maneuvrability of a fighter using the right cooperative strategies and schemes, and if you cut the maneuvrability advantage of a light fighter what remains is a lack of hull and shields (and often firepower too).
The difference between TA and XW isn't SO high but what i'm saying becomes absolutely evident when you use for example tie bomber against other ties or gunboat against almost any other fighter
i love TA too but this doesn't change these facts
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 09:14:42 am by 433 »

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
I've played every StarWars simulation game out there for PC except Rogue Squadron, and from all my experiences, I've played FAR better in a Tie Advanced than an X-Wing.

I think you're underestimating the emphasis on manueverability in these games. The Tie Advanced can change directions very quickly and able to dodge lasers and missiles much better than an X-Wing. And let me tell you its almost impossible to find another player that'll cooperate with you(if both X-Wings against Tie Advanceds) in a fasion that'll let you win. You'll need a microphone and stuff anyway. And if the Tie Advanced player has a teammate thats as good as yours concerning team tactics, I'll bet money the Tie Advanced team will win.

In my book, manueverability is key. Firepower is good, but not necessary if you can keep spraying lasers on the back of the enemy without losing him(though this part can be negated if a teammate is covering the back of the guy). Tie Advanceds DO have 4 lasers like an X-Wing tho, and thus I think they are superior.

My opinion =]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
DragonClaw: You say you've played every SW game? Your skills could be very useful for play balance and tabling later! :nod: Keep in touch.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
look, it's more than 3 years that i play XvT online, i'm member of a clan, i'm signed up at battlestats.com and i've played almost all the WOWs (week of war, a monthly tourney of one week) of the last years (whenever i've time at least) sometimes with decent results.... i know what i'm talking about:)

i must agree that the majority of pilots doesn't know or doesn't apply cooperative schemes, they simply fly like if they are alone, but A LOT of players (all the top pilots and almost all of the decents) use this strategies since they give you a big advantage against opponents

i'm talking of something like "rules", with the objective of maximize the time facing enemies frontally and minimize the time you spend in maneuvres.
When there is more than one enemy (so everytime you are not playing a duel) if you are maneuvring 1-you are not firing at any target (so you make less kills) and 2-you are an easy target
If your wing follow the same strategies it will be almost always (some errors occurs sometimes) like you are coordinating your operations, although you are not using rogerwilco or similar programs that let you talk in game (and that are not allowed in wows since they increase lag)
even if your wingmen doesn't follow this schemes you can(in certain way) still fly using those strategies, adapting them, and still improoving your performances

it is true that in WOWs all the teams must have the same ships, but this doesn't cut the ability to use these strategies even with different ships

in these years i've tried a lot of different combinations for fun with my clanmates, here are some examples:
i've played with a tf against an xwing, loosing only by one (opponent was an excellent xwing pilot but in duels maneuvrability counts, and a lot),
i've played with a tf against an yw, being slaughtered by its superior firepower, hull and shields,
i've played with a gunboat against an aw (and the aw player was at my same level) giving him and hard spank, in maneuvres too (this was unexpected.. the point is that the aw may turn faster but gunboat turns closer...and if you collide the gunboat has a great hull/shields edge:p)
i've played in 2v2 team matchs,me and my wingmen with TB the others with TI and we won, in 3players deathmatch i slaughtered with my xwing the two others with TA (and they both were good),
i've played dozens of deathmatchs with different number of players and free ship selection and the winner usually (skills counts...obviously..) was the player with the heavyest ship (gunboat, ywing..)
i've played even a lot of 4v4 team matchs, with free ship selection and the kickass ship for each team ALWAYS was the heavyest fighter

in my clan, since we are all italian (we are 200 or probably more) we organize annual meetings with an average of, uh, 25-30 guys participating, 3 days lan partys where to play at outcast, sw sims, and many other games without lag.
For example this year we have organized a funny tourney (won by my team:p) 4v4 each team with gunboat, yw, xw and ta
In all matches the first player of any team was,with very few exceptions, the gunboat player. The exceptions were sometimes the ywings... And with NO exception the last one for all the teams in all the matches was the TA player..the lighter craft...

this is because of the balance of sw games, where quite all the fighters (the shielded at least) are multirole fighters with just a different combination of parameters, and because of these  strategies that can heavily reduce the gain of superior maneuvrability, whenever you are not playing duels.
Note that i'm talking about multiplayer, not singleplayer....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 03:37:17 pm by 433 »

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
Well i can help you guys with the interface and effects or animations like explosions (like those seismik charges in attack of the clones)just give me call:)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 09:54:08 am by 400 »
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by USS Alexander
Well i can help you guys with the interface and effects or animations like explosions (like those seismik charges in attack of the clones)just give me call:)

we may be very interested because we are going soon to do a lot of interface even before the ships are ready,in case i'll contact you via pvm, thanks for offer:)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
KARMA, what clan are you in?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
zone nick is _999_KARMA_SAF
are you in some SW clan too?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
hmm dunno who they are.

I used to be (It was like the only thing i did online) oh bout' .. 2 - 3 years ago. I flew with the Screaming Wookies.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by Knight Templar
I flew with the Screaming Wookies.

wtf is up with the names?  geez... i'd be EMBARRASED to fly with the "Screaming Wookies" :)

Originally posted by RKIF-DragonClaw
I've played every StarWars simulation game out there for PC except Rogue Squadron, and from all my experiences, I've played FAR better in a Tie Advanced than an X-Wing.

I think you're underestimating the emphasis on manueverability in these games. The Tie Advanced can change directions very quickly and able to dodge lasers and missiles much better than an X-Wing. And let me tell you its almost impossible to find another player that'll cooperate with you(if both X-Wings against Tie Advanceds) in a fasion that'll let you win. You'll need a microphone and stuff anyway. And if the Tie Advanced player has a teammate thats as good as yours concerning team tactics, I'll bet money the Tie Advanced team will win.

In my book, manueverability is key. Firepower is good, but not necessary if you can keep spraying lasers on the back of the enemy without losing him(though this part can be negated if a teammate is covering the back of the guy). Tie Advanceds DO have 4 lasers like an X-Wing tho, and thus I think they are superior.

My opinion =]

I've played em all.

X-wing
TIE-Fighter
X-wingVSTIE-Fighter
X-wing Allience
X-wing Rouge Squadron
X-Wing Rouge Squadron 2
Reble Assalt
Reble Assalt 2
Jedi Night
Jedi Night 2
The Saga Game at the Marcis theater
The one at VallyFair
StarWars Power Battle
StarWars Obiwon
« Last Edit: November 30, 2002, 03:53:26 pm by 194 »
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
wtf is up with the names? geez... i'd be EMBARRASED to fly with the "Screaming Wookies" :)

Oh shutup :p

You prefer EWOK or the Ill fated Second Imperium? Damn they sucked. There were a lot of worse ones.. SW wasn't really that bad.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Now that Vadar has been pleasured by the cold touch of bannage.. what's up with the website?

(Sorry, I just had this weird wave of curiosity... wierd)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 02:13:13 am by 675 »

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
what positions are you guys still looking for... or is it completely done?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I guess KARMA and GE will take over. There're already some very professional looking templates posted on internal, just need some content.

And I guess we're still looking for Modellers, Texturers and POFfers - people to help get these ships made, coz there's a hell of a lot of them waiting.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I did volunteer to do POF data a about month ago and I'm still here if you still need me