Author Topic: New mission designer  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
New mission designer
Alright, to go with my Next-Gen Space Sim thread, let's discuss a next gen mission designer... a superFRED.

So reference your ideas from that thread, and say what you think would be cool in an advanced mission designer.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
better non-linear event driven tags, which would be tied in with an AI rework.

something like a graphical UI (like mayas' hypergraph) for the event logic gates.

A more intuitive grouping system..simply the interface needs to be reworked to reflect how an FS2 fleet (or whatever fleet you're designing for) actually works.

Support for volumetric scenery (graphical engine update needed)

Pre-set fleet maneouvers would be a big plus

Actually i don't have a clue because i don't design missions :P

------------------
 http://www.wevil.co.uk  - how NOT to do a website

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Mine would definitely be designed with the modder in mind, also with the ability to render using the games engine whatever view your looking at at the time to allow for a better idea of fram rates and so on in the game.

You'd be able to preview weapons fire, ships speeds and so on without starting anything but the one program.

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Something that can read my mind.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Well, here are my ideas though.

1.) A build-in calculator or component of the program that let users or designers find out where ships will end up at after exiting subspace.

2.) Allow designers to insert more than one asteroid field.

3.) Allow designers to create infinite loops for some reason. Anybody used Starcraft Campaign Editor? They have something called "Switches" that can be toggled on or off or random, depending on what you want.

4.) The ability to specify which ships should have how much primary bank energy etc. Like the Starcraft Campaign Editor. That way, mission designers don't need to add a whole new entry into the ships.tbl file just so that that ship can be used only once for a whole campaign.

5.) A more advanced Error Checker that can inform the designer when the designer has assign a weapon to the fighter that cannot carry it.

6.) Two different resolution versions of the mission creator. I hate to have to change to 1024x768 whenever I want to use FRED2. I cannot see the description of SEXPs when I do at 800x600 resolution.

7.) A build-in component that creates a random Background for the designer. Sorry Kazan.  

8.) The ability to hear ingame music in the mission creator. At least I don;t have to keep using trial-and-error method to get the best music for the mission. Mission briefing music as well.

------------------
...and one day, Man will journey farther and faster into Space. - My thoughts

GTD Excellence Webmaster
NeoHunter<                       [b][email protected][/b]                                     >
Not to mention a FREDder! :)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
You think too small. I don't think about a mission editor, but an universe editor. Think about specifying everything about every system on your universe, modelling behaviour for each of the ships, setting everything and putting everything on a starting point and letting it flow alone afterwards.

Imagine something where you don't have to worry about scripting events, simply because the behaviour models will make the scenario evolve on it's own. That's what I wanted.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
That would be mega complicated, it would be better to randomly generate that kind of data as it's needed in the game rather than having a mission designer slog through masses of calculations for stuff you're never likely to see. It's an infinite universe after all  

Offline wEvil

a decent modifier set with a logic-flow graph would allow almost infinte options along what styxx suggested.

Obviously the designer would have to come up with the base data set (ship numbers, names specs etc.)...

but if designing a campaign were going to be that easy it wouldn't be special anymore, would it?

------------------

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
A feature to give the stats of a weapons an it prints a table out for you.

a drag and drop system for backgrounds.

the ability to make the player entry delayed (taken out in FS).  Then you won't have to randomize the ship starting values.

ability to put more ships on the screen to make a real "Battle of Endor" mission.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin

Originally posted by Styxx:
You think too small. I don't think about a mission editor, but an universe editor. Think about specifying everything about every system on your universe, modelling behaviour for each of the ships, setting everything and putting everything on a starting point and letting it flow alone afterwards.

Imagine something where you don't have to worry about scripting events, simply because the behaviour models will make the scenario evolve on it's own. That's what I wanted.

This was one of the things I wanted to talk to you about.  Think 'systems.tbl' that'll have all the orbits, node locations, backgrounds all built in...
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
A "systems.tbl" file? Sounds interesting but how many of us actually take notice of where the jump node sout of a system are? How many of us really take note of how the nebulas look like in that mission and in another mission but in the same system?

I think that this feature is a bit redundant.

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster
NeoHunter<                       [b][email protected][/b]                                     >

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
I never said this was for FS2.  

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Whilst it wouldn't work as well for FS2 (where inter-system travel can't happen in mission). It would be very useful if you wanted some level of continuity in a sequel, where you simply program the data into that table. this *could* cut down on mission file size as you simply include something saying "refer to this part of the systems.tbl" and leave all that background data out of the file. It'd be very handy.

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
exactly.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Mmmm...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Okay.now if somebody could make it a reality.....

------------------

GTD Excellence Webmaster

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by NeoHunter:
Okay.now if somebody could make it a reality.....  

Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Good things come to those who wait.  

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by NeoHunter:
A "systems.tbl" file? Sounds interesting but how many of us actually take notice of where the jump node sout of a system are? How many of us really take note of how the nebulas look like in that mission and in another mission but in the same system?

I think that this feature is a bit redundant.

I've taken notice and have already done someting about it. My page has the System Backgrounds - a .ZIP with all the original missions inside, but they are blank except for the backgrounds, asteroid fields and jump nodes.  

EDIT: It's in the FreeSpace 2 -> Notes section....
------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar

[This message has been edited by sandwich (edited 06-08-2001).]
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline wEvil

that sounds like it was a bit of a task, sandwich

------------------