Author Topic: What motherboard for AMD 1.4 Athlon?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What motherboard for AMD 1.4 Athlon?
Time is drawing near on my buynig a new system, I've decided on the AMD Athlon 1.4GHz CPU to be the core of this. I need a motherboard to do it justice and to suport my other hardware. I intend to plug the following in as well, so it must have enough ports and sockets.

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU

Various cooling fans, not sure on number, but probably as many as can be fitted in the case.

1.4 Floppy Drive

256MB of Ram, not bothered about whether it's  SD or DDR as I'lll be buying new anyway.

30GB Hard Drive (primary)
10GB Hard Drive (secondary)
Videologic Sonicfury (PCI 2.1)
GeForce2 GTS 64Mb (AGP 2 and 4 I believe)
Keyboard
Joystick
Microsoft Intellimouse
CD (DVD? if I upgrade to one) Drive
CD-RW Drive

Possibly another CD Drive depending on wether I can afford it.

A Printer, maybe a scanner as well (basically, room to upgrade in this department).

Any help is appreciated, thanks  

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 06-30-2001).]

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
Hm... I don't know motherboards... I have one madfe by BioStar, but I know absolutely nothing about it... hehe

It does howver support up to 1500Mb of Ram, and I suppose you could get a beefy Athlon in it, considering I have a puny Duron  

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

Offline Snipes

Oh! And it is also very upgradeable... It can support 5 or 6 PCI cards, 3 hard drives, and 4 cd-roms...    I think...  

------------------
United Space
------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'd also be interested in this topic - I need to upgrade my CPU to a 1+ GHz Athlon, but I don't know which motherboard to get  

Offline QXMX

Whoa, how much money do you have to spend.  If you want all that stuff, be ready to shell out the bucks.

As for boards.  You can check pricewatch.com or tccomputers.com for various board types.  They'll give you a comparison and rating from people who purchased it.  And you might want to check out AMD's website to get a compatibility list for boards.

The RAM, I have 256 MB of PC133 RAM and it works just fine and dandy.  It only cost me around $100 total.

If you want to shave some cost off, you might want to consider only 1 hard drive, since you'd be hard pressed to find a 10GB(unless of course, you already have it   ) and you'll have a CD-RW anyway.  I'd go with a 20 GB.

What card are you getting that's based around the GTS design.  I have the ASUS AGP V7700, and it works good, if the drivers are right.

Adding a CD drive to the pile would add about $30, so you should be able to get that too.

As for printers and scanners, the USB ports should be fine for those, and an LPT1 printer is good too(but for a scanner, USB is the way to go)

If you're interested, you could spend a few more dollar on an optical mouse.  They last faaaaaaaaarrr longer than the standard types.

Now, that 1.4 Floppy drive is going to be a pain to find, and will probably cost in the hundreds of dollars range.  Make sure you bring your lottery winnings for that (j/k  )

Hope this helps.

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Co-Creator, GroundZero
ICQ# 117983680

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ah, perhaps I should clarify, I'm only interested in the Motherboard - I already posses everthing else but the CPU and the RAM, so just info on the MBoard will be great, thanks  

------------------

Offline Vmanlex

I wouldd say go 4 Gigibyte Board or go AMD.com and find out what board they think that the chip should have
The Original Space DUDE!! :cool:

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net

Originally posted by Thunder:

Videologic Sonicfury (PCI 2.1)

WTF? is this? lemme guess a soundcard?

WTFH are you not purchasing a sound blaster... Creative makes the only things you can call _real_ soundcards, they've been the standard in computer soundsystems since computers had sound systems

------------------
FreeSpace 2: The Babylon Project Effects Nerd and Programmer.
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon

Alliance Productions
http://alliance.sourceforge.net

Did you say you wanted your head used as a soccer ball?
The Klooges are coming! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I still have in SB16 in one of my comps.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Snipes

Originally posted by Kazan:
WTF? is this? lemme guess a soundcard?

WTFH are you not purchasing a sound blaster... Creative makes the only things you can call _real_ soundcards, they've been the standard in computer soundsystems since computers had sound systems

Because they are pricey...

I have an IOMagic sound card, and it works great.  Just don't get one with a VIA chipset built into the motherboard, you WILL
regret it. i do  

------------------
United Space
------------------

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm no motherboard expert but these guys are:
 http://www.planethardware.com/

They have a mobo section where they review the best athlon compatible boards. Go take a look.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I was going to say that.   I've seen their ads in the Gamespy circulation - 'Your mother...board'  

Gigabyte boards are good, but for good AMD support, I'd go for a VIA.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Kazan:
WTFH are you not purchasing a sound blaster...
Because Kazan, unlike the rest of the mindless sheep out there who buy into price labels and what everyone says is the best, I actually look around for my hardware to find the better deal, no matter what company makes it. This card was around £70 compared to the CL Platinum which is about £120 if I remember correctly, and yet it kicked every single Creative Labs card repetitivly in tests and it works perfectly fine for me. Thanks for your time but there it is now stop trying to prove your worth and go program something   (mild joke, don't take it out of proportion Kazan).

To everyone else thanks for the input and the links... I'm going to do a bit of research myself (just to prove I'm not totally lazy) and see what I can come up with. Any further suggestions are still welcome though  

------------------

Akira

If u want a motherboard i'd recommend an ASUS Motherboard, as to what Chipset u want thats a good question personally i'm waiting for the Nvidia nForce motherboard chipset to come out cuz it looks sweet, but i'll wait a few months after that comes out so they can work out the bugs  

------------------
Kryten - "They've taken Mr Rimmer, Sir! they've taken Mr Rimmer!"
Cat - "Quick, lets get out of here before they bring him back!"