Author Topic: Catalyst 4.5s Break Shinemapping  (Read 9209 times)

Catalyst 4.5s may Break Shinemapping!
EDIT: Oops...double post...delete plz

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Gregster2k
Works for me with Catalyst 4.4...last working ones before the 4.5's screwed it up...your mileage may vary. 3.9? Ugh...

strange, i have 4.4 and specular still won't work with mine.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Lightspeed
*says something wrong about geforces*

You can, I've been n a Geforce something ( MX I think, one integradted to my new mobo ) for like 3 weeks, I've switched back to my good old radeon, man, what a change! I'm playing lineage2 these days, and no more clipping bugs, no more shards of death ( yeah, you read right, with the Nvidia, I had FS2 like shards of death :doubt: ), no more screen freeze for one second everytime I try and rotate the camera,  and in addition, reflections in water have magicaly appeared.
As for the latest catalyst drivers, well, too late :p
But I'm doubtful, IIRC I had those on my older PC ( changed it 3 weeks ago ), and shine maps were working fine, as far as I can tell.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Well, I have everything working fine except missile trails (see mantis) - that seems to be a card/driver related problem as well, and I've seen other people having the problem too.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Nico

You can, I've been n a Geforce something ( MX I think, one integradted to my new mobo ) for like 3 weeks, I've switched back to my good old radeon, man, what a change! I'm playing lineage2 these days, and no more clipping bugs, no more shards of death ( yeah, you read right, with the Nvidia, I had FS2 like shards of death :doubt: ), no more screen freeze for one second everytime I try and rotate the camera,  and in addition, reflections in water have magicaly appeared.
As for the latest catalyst drivers, well, too late :p
But I'm doubtful, IIRC I had those on my older PC ( changed it 3 weeks ago ), and shine maps were working fine, as far as I can tell.
MX is likely why. MXs are outdated tech, GF2 era.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Baseline minimum for FSO: GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB
The GeForce4 MX series and GF2 series share the exact same chipset. While the GF4 Ti4### series went up a number in chipset from the GF3, the GF4 MX series went down back to GF2-class hardware. The GeForce4 MX series are technically not even DirectX 8.0 cards, they're just GeForce2's with some improved features/performance and the ability to actually run DirectX 8.0+ games.

That said, here comes the truth: Any card lower than a GeForce4 Ti4200 used with FreeSpace 2 Open oughta be AT THE USER'S PERIL. I can't imagine why anyone would want to run FSO with something slower than a GeForce4 Titanium Series, and if you do, hey, that's your problem, go buy at least a Ti4200, they're damn cheap these days.

I pity the fool who bought a system wit 'n' integrat'd graphics mobo 'n' no AGP slot!

Above all, remember this is a shinemap breakage thread not a video card debating thread. Let's all try to make a nice list of what cards sometimes have shinemapping broken.....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 04:39:00 pm by 1644 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
No perils here on a standard GF3. I consistently get 60+ fps with all the settings turned up. The only things that cause problems are the hiplanets and effects vps and my modifications to the latter of those will fix the issues with that one soon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 06:06:08 pm by 296 »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
GeForce FX5600, Shiny like a good 'un :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
R9600XT w/ 256Mb overclocked to 527Mhz

Oh yeah. :D If it was a PC, it's specs would blow away the box it's connected to. ;)

Now to get an environment build that doesn't die after 4 minutes in game... *stupid Duron*
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline RandomTiger

We will continue to optimise the code to make it run faster on lower end cards. Its not easy though, otherwise everyone would be a coder.

CP5670, Bob has identified some bad code in the background rendering. A fix should speed things up a little but if the textures are too big for your card it will run slow.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 01:50:30 am by 848 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Re: Baseline minimum for FSO: GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB
Originally posted by Gregster2k
I pity the fool who bought a system wit 'n' integrat'd graphics mobo 'n' no AGP slot!  

Was cheap, came with a nice athlon 2.4, and I had my radeon waiting in the corpse of my old PC ( much like Skywalker in his tawntawn -or whatever you spell it ), so I can't care less about the Nvidia now :p
My only grip about this new PC is that it doesn't have a reset switch ( I mean WTF? I know I should have checked, but WHO checks if there's a damn reset switch? :p ).
Oh, it has an AGP slot, otherwise I'd be really pissed off :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
upgraded my drivers to 4.5, and surprise, surprise.. shinemaps still don't work.. ohwell.

definitely an issue with the 9000.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 05:24:13 am by 86 »
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
R9600XT w/ 256Mb overclocked to 527Mhz

Oh..... no.....  *faints*
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Get this done before 3.6.  x.x;
For great justice.

Johnmike: dunno 'bout that, I'd rather see 3.6 out then shinemapping for a bunch of older cards (I have a Radeon 7000, so I am just as effected as the rest of you).
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I have a Radeon 7500 in my laptop and FS SCP works just fine.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

4.6 I just installed....

#$%@&*%#*^%$(*@#@

I WANT MY SHINIES!!!!

BTW, are specular shading still vertex based?

Yes on the vert thing, at least AFAIK. Ask Bob.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Omni, just go back to version 4.4 and you should be fine. I did, even if it meant giving up "latest game optimizations" (har har, i dont even OWN the games they're optimizing these drivers for :rolleyes: )  Like I said, any catalyst 4.5 or over will break shinemapping on a 9800 Pro card and I don't think any other card from ATI will work with 4.5+ either.

Ok, Catalyst 4.6 has been released and guess what.... it breaks shines as well!  Stick to 4.4.