Author Topic: dont lock there is possibility for alot more freespace games  (Read 12614 times)

Re: dont lock there is possibility for alot more freespace games
On the Hobbit thing seeing as i wasn't alive in 88' i am talking about the Hobbit games that came out in 03' and 04' one which was very good but just didn't sell.
Audentis Fortuna Iuvat: Fortune favors the brave-Virgil
Iacta Alea Est: The die is cast- Julius Caesar
Summum Ius Summa Iniuria: More law, less justice- Cicero
Oderint dum metuat: Let them hate, as long as they fear- Accius
Veni, vidi, vici: I came, I saw, I conquered- Julius Caesar

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 
 into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Shade

What difference does it make if we look to FS3 or FS4-7? If the first doesn't get made, none of them will. So that's just confusing the issue. None of them matter except FS3, and I've already gone over (and in far greater detail and with far more patience than I normally would, since you're new here and everyone deserves a bit of a grace period until they learn the ropes) the reasons why that won't happen unless a different game triggers a resurgence of the genre.

Also, now that I know about it (I don't own an XBox and so I don't keep up on XBox games. So sue me :p), I looked up a bit on info about the later Hobbit game. You neglected to mention that it came out after the LoTR movies, which given their insane success at the box office makes it pretty clear why it was made. Again, an example of a big financial success spawning more of the same, and again an example of why this is the exact opposite of the situation the Freespace franchise is in. LoTR as a franchise is without doubt a very profitable one, and the Freespace franchise was not.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

I say that to get more support from people who aren't looking very far into the future. And i understand but the one i referred to the one that was truely good came out 7 months before the first movie, and it recieved little sales due to the fact that no one knew it had anything to do with the movies that everyone was anticepating. Also that fact that it was made as a side project didn't help it's cause, so what really happened to kill it's sales was the release of the movies, so it didn't ride the wave after the movies. So it does have relevence even if it is in my own backwards ass mind.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i do not know about the other people on these forums and in a way perhaps i do not even care about thir hopes expectations and reasons as to why they play the game. Do not take it the wrong way I love this comunity and enjoy having arguements and exchange of ideas with them and hell I even enjoy when they prove me wrong sometimes and bash mi ideas to dust.

But as far as i'm concerned I play the game because it is a sweeeeeet game and because whenever i feel i have to let out some steam acumulated i can go bash some shivans.

But i believe that maibe in a way it also a strange way on mi part of keeping the game alive and hoping for another one.

Now I may be stepping on some toes right about know for sayng this but I do not really care about that. However i do care about every new campaign that is realeased and I always hope another one is nearing completion by the time I finish the one i just downloaded. Does this make sence to anyone. Sorry but as you can see i'm triyng to improve mi spelling and english but its not as easy as i asumed it would be.

As for all the new improvememnt to the game all I can hope is that if perhaps in the future by some luck a developer decides to make another FS it would take into consideration all the hard work done by the people on these forums. And put some money to take the game that much further that much faster.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Thank you for putting m idea more eloquently than i ever could have

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 

Offline Shade

And i understand but the one i referred to the one that was truely good came out 7 months before the first movie
We agree the game came out in 2003, correct? Fellowship came out in 2001, Towers in 2002 and King in 2003. So if anything, it was 7 months before the last movie, not the first.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

I'm no chronological genius and i just pulled the dates out of my ass  :  :nervous: no accuracy guaranteed

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 

Apologies to Shade for my ineptitude at dates, and formally request that we get back on topic.

Everyone please contact  :v: and pressure the heck out of them to make another FS in the hopes that they'll listen to the few to please and make the many obsess about FS.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I already checked the liscences for Freespace - as far as I can tell, Interplay applied several years ago for the liscence, and it was just approved last year for the next six years.

So no new Freespace games.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
The industry is not moved by the opinions of a couple of hundred people on a board dedicated to the game. If they make FS3, then who will buy it? Us. And almost only us. The game sells a couple thousand copies, after the abysmal sales and lack of awareness of FS2. Tens of thousands of dollars are lost. Also, if a company takes over the license, who's to say we won't be shut down?

I'm on your side, but 60K (My Installer alone) != "a couple hundred".
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
They can't pay their bills and they're wasting money on making sure no one else makes FS3??? :wtf:

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Why don't members of the FS2 modding community start their own company and get the rights for FS?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Go read the topic I pointed to earlier."Well, What About FS3?"

Everybody in the community would know the story, and nobody else would know about it.

On a side note, how did BtRl get so much publicity?

Please give up, Eagle, you are making very little argument and contradicting yourself at every turn
I'm no chronological genius and i just pulled the dates out of my ass  :  :nervous: no accuracy guaranteed
You don't even check any facts!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:40:56 pm by colecampbell666 »
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
if there is no possibility then why do we even play, because playing is a way of retaining hope that the rest of the world will eventually come around to our point of veiw.

Bull, we play because it's fun.

I can see his point. What we're basically doing is reading two thirds of a book and then writing a whole bunch of fan-fiction about it.

Oh, and:
I bet if someone tries to make FS3, it won't have any story at all, the engine will be completely different, it'll be on the XZ plane only or something, and it will sell many times more than FS1 and FS2 combined.

In short: it's not even a spiritual successor.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
BtRL got popular because we have a massive amount of fanbase behind the show. Everyone cares more about a giant sci fi franchise on TV then they do about some video game series that was at the tail end of a genre.

And I wish people would read my posts more carefully. I said they applied for the liscence rights several years ago - some time around 1999-2001, IIRC. If you want, go check the US trademark registry on the internet for the specifics.

*points and screams in horror* They're mentioning........IT !  :eek:

LOL, but personally I think the FS2 fan-based community has pretty much taken over all the 'legal rights' of FS2, and the mods they make are simply their own opinions of what FS3 might be like. And the only difference is they're not mass-producing their ideas into CD's packed in boxes then selling them to the masses, but rather making them available to the community that love(d) FS2.

FS2 community = FS3 personified.  :D

Yes Interplay owns the rights to FS but as said in my first post, Interplay was just sued by Bethesda Softworks for the rights to Fallout in California claims court and won because they didn't have the money to develop it further and Bethesda did, and because they had partial rights they just went to court for the rest. :v: could do the same because they have partial rights and the money off of Saints Row to actually develop the game.

Also it might be a good idea for HLP to become a company, hell we already produce major video games, how many campaigns have been made by fans, and there are only two official campaigns, so with enough startup cash it is possible for us to become a company.

AND THE ONLY FACT I MISSED WAS THE DATES CAUSE IM A LAZY BASTARD WHO SAT ON HIS ASS AND DIDN'T CHECK ONE, ONE DATE 

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also it might be a good idea for HLP to become a company, hell we already produce major video games, how many campaigns have been made by fans, and there are only two official campaigns, so with enough startup cash it is possible for us to become a company.

We couldn't because our games are made on the base of FS2, so it's illegal.. or... something.

Unless when we create the company we BUY THE RIGHTS AS THE GUY SUGGESTED!!!!!! :mad: F***ING LISTEN

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny 
. Copy Bunny 

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Okay, let me put this mildly:

EVERYTHING YOU'VE COME UP WITH HAS BEEN ****ING ALREADY THOUGHT UP OF

Okay? This subject is well trodden ground. Everything you've said has already ****ing been gone over, m'kay? I think it's time for a icon to appear next to this thread now.

We've all been holding back our anger here since this subject has been brought up countless times. You have NO right to start ALL CAPS'ing our veterans in an already stupid thread that is quickly becoming obsolete.