Poll

Should FSU Carry FS1 Assets? (READ DETAILS)

Yes
No
Hurgle Gurgle

Author Topic: POLL: Should FSU Carry FS1 Assets?  (Read 6295 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: POLL: Should FSU Carry FS1 Assets?
Thinking about it more, it seems like it'd make sense to be able to point to the MediaVPs as the repository of every single upgrade of canon FS content. Then the FSPort VPs could be reserved for the additional models and variants that Port campaigns rely on. Everyone's able to more conveniently use FS1 assets, and modders don't need to reinvent the wheel and add a bunch of duplicate content.  :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes but also...maybe? Would this involve adding a bunch of ships that could push mods dependent on the MVPs over the ship limit? It seems great, I’m just trying to do due diligence, dude.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Doot doot doo doot doot

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well I guess that depends. My plan was to "table" these using +nocreate which would mean that...

--mods can activate these assets by simply including $name: apollo (at least I think that'll work...)
--FSO wouldn't actually create a ship.

So if that works like I expect, then that does not add to the ship count. Alternatively, this could be strictly assets only. Models, textures. Mods could activate the asset by writing an entire table entry and just reference the asset files. In this case I'd include a text file that has table entries for each asset is included but not activated by FSU.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Zarax

How would you deal with models that are different between FS1 and FS2?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Name a model (not a table file) where something that was present in FS1 is not present in FS2.

Offline Zarax

I assumed a few (Lucifer, Typhon, Hades) did receive some change between FS1 and FS2, guess I was mistaken.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not a rhetorical question.  If there are any conflicting model changes, I really would like to know.  But I don't think there are.

Well, in theory FS1 and 2 models should have different turret models where lasers have been replaced by flak/beam weapons. But that's probably not going to happen.

I assumed a few (Lucifer, Typhon, Hades) did receive some change between FS1 and FS2, guess I was mistaken.

In case of Lucy and Hades, their HP was changed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the models. Also, they didn't show up in FS2 plot anyway.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

There are some changes in the stats of some ships, e.g. the SD Demon recieved a substatial HP boost, but those are table side changes which fall outside what the MVPs do (as they use modular tables to modify an existing ships.tbl)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Alright, the votes make it pretty clear. I'm going to make this happen.

Offline Zarax

That's a great news!
The Best is Yet to Come

:yes: :yes:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I am in full support of canon models and weapons (Apollo, ML-16) being folded into the FSU and non-canon (Karnak, Serkr) being relegated to FSPort.

I also agree that everything not strictly related to 3D assets, such as interface art, remain with FSPort.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
I am absolutely in support of this
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've basically got this done. I ran into a complication with how I wanted it to work, though, because of $pbanks and $sbanks. There's no good way to set those to work with mods and including these ships in the tbm with +nocreate can easily override mods who would then need to override the override. Oh well.

Tables setups are still going to be include, but they are 100% opt-in. mv_assets_fs1-shp.disabled and mv_assets_fs1-wep.disabled.

The assets, however, are included and ready to use.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You have the new and improved Apollo model?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Apollo is broken. PBR Maps produce very strange results. I actually tried to fix it, but failed to find the cause so I produced pimped non-PBR variant. I may publish it one day.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Apollo is broken. PBR Maps produce very strange results. I actually tried to fix it, but failed to find the cause so I produced pimped non-PBR variant. I may publish it one day.

Seems fine to me. Care to be more specific?