Author Topic: Linux? Which one to download?  (Read 390 times)

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Linux? Which one to download?
I wanna try out Linux.  Whitch version should I download?  Anybody have any good expercience with one of them?
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Knoppix will allow you to try Linux from Windows (booting up entirely from a copy of Knoppix you have to boot up from a CD). That's great if you don't want to format/make a sure jump but want to play around.

Outside that... I'll let others recommend :)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Yeah, knoppix is great to give you a feel for what linux is capable of. It'll almost always autodetect your hardware provided you're not running anything exotic. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't give you a feel for how fast the OS runs. You can install the entire OS from the CD BTW, it's actually quite a fast way to get a decent Debian based system up and running in a very short time. Suprnova is hosting version 3.4 of the knoppix disk, it's the latest.

Kazan put me on to Fedora but I don't really like it, too inflexible and not horribly stable.

I'm currently installing Gentoo from stage 1, that means I'm doing a compile from scratch. It's tres fun. :drevil:
I've learned a lot more about linux from doing this than I did when I had fedora hold my hand.
[/color]