Author Topic: Specular..whatever .. ruin the atmosphere....  (Read 19390 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Specular..whatever .. ruin the atmosphere....
As far as I know, hdrish is a smart shader, exclusively for ATI users.

It simulates the effects of HDR rendering (High Dynamic Range).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Correctomundo. Hdrish is a smartshader for ati cards, but only the sm2.0 capable radeons that are dx9 compliant. Using hdrish is a real blast, but's it's not dynamic like halflife2 hdr. Hdrish does miracles for ships warping in and out and some other effects, but hdrish-lite is great for ships with normal ambient and specular light. Too bad hdrish and hdrish-lite can't really be combined.
Hdrish and hdrish-lite can be retrieved from here
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40726.0.html
On another note, my 9800pro broke when my friend snapped off a heatsink and chip on it(****er). I'm looking into getting a geforce 6600 now, it's a lot faster. Besides fs2 will still look the same with the right custom flags especially spec_tube and spec_point. I just won't have a glow shader affect.
My friend who broke my card on the other hand. We work in our own business together, and i made him pay by taking the money out of his paycheck before he got his money :lol:
BURN!!! :nod:
He looked at me all wierd wondering why he didn't make as much as i did thinking with the notion that i was going to extract the money from him later :lol:
That look on his face was priceless and funny as ****. The other thing that was priceless and funny as **** was when he ripped off the heatsink and chip to my card by holding onto it to plug in the power connector for the card. If you watched that happen in front of you like i did, i believe any of you hlp'ers would be just as amazed as i was. I wasn't mad at all, it was just some ****ing funny ****. :lol:
Sorry slightly off topic
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:40:29 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Cheats are one thing, jumping ahead and skipping missions is totally different. You lose the storyline with allslev. With cheats you can still do entire levels one by one and know what goes on.

Right, because having every briefing in the game in the wiki doesn't achieve the same effect.........

Which is terrible. I pay a lot of attention to details and each and every terran or vasudan wing in my campaign belongs to a squadron and has insignias..and every ship is nameplated.
and now half of the detail is gone... AGONY..... :(

It'd have to be a really **** ship to have half the detail comprised by a 256 by 256 PCX square........

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Cheats are one thing, jumping ahead and skipping missions is totally different. You lose the storyline with allslev. With cheats you can still do entire levels one by one and know what goes on.

Right, because having every briefing in the game in the wiki doesn't achieve the same effect.........

Bah. Like 80% of everyone, I never looked at the wiki. Besides which, that, too, would be actively searching for spoilers. If someone didnt know what -allslev was and used it, they may inadvertantly think that these missions are all single missions, independant of eachother.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
On thing to note about ambient lighting. If the same player files is used across builds you can occasionaly get an issue where your ambient settings no longer seem to be applied. While trying to track down another issue, I re-ran a CVS build that I previously posted as no longer _seeming_ to respond to the ambient_factor settings.

During testing for the other issue though, I created new pilots for each build I ran and on the one I reported I had normal ambinet_factor. Another test run showed this premise accurate as I ran 2 builds behind and then switched builds without creating a new pilot and wala, faded/washed out and no apparent ambient_factor applied. Created a new pilot (by deleting the old one) and I had ambient_factor as specified.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I think Trashman's off right now... I wish he'd post screenshots instead of just complaining about somthing that could well be a minor error.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
damn, I just thought I couldn't see them  :nervous:   Post some pics T-man I wanna see what you've been secretly working on  :P

Anyway, for mod making (if you dont have missions set in stone and ready to be linked) access to all missions is essential! I have templates made for general fighter vs fighter combat, ship visual (crash) testing or blow up test (crash on death), and full on cap battles. 

It would really be a pain to not be able to just cancel a mission when objective is reached with model testing and be able to immediately go to the nest stage as I change all the relevant fields in FRED for testing at same time and run through all the missions until I hit snags.

Incidently I love being able to see a little of the "dark side" but it sure aint no beacon. He'res what settings I use:
F:\Z FS2 3.6 StarGate\fs2_open1.exe -spec -glow -nomotiondebris -nobeampierce  -ambient_factor 87 -allslev

(Pic link BELOW post)

As you can see the Hatak in front of them is nearly invisible (no glow mappage yet) but you can still see it. I like the way this lighting looks at this setting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Screenshots? OK, in a minute.

Fury  with/without specular:

Hecate with/without specular:

With specualr turned on the ships are way too bright, and the nameplates are greyish with lines all over them.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:42:02 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Something is definately wrong on your end, then...

Specular only made things darker on my system.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Yeah, same here, for me spec on looks like the darker ones and off looks like the brighter...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

I very occassionally get ships *temporarily* being displayed briefly 'fullbright' as they are in Trashmans screens.

Offline Falcon

I usually just reduce in-game brightness to 0.75 or 0.80 if I want the game darker.

Call me nuts, but everyone I know runs SCP on ambient_level 20-30.  It's far more effective than lowering the brightness.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
-ambient_factor .75 was in my command line settings, IIRC. Thast makes thing sufficiently moody.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I play with ambient factor 65.

hmm...are you guys using Open GL or D3D?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I use opengl
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
OGL. DX is unsupported, really. And quite buggy.

Offline sfried

This is the setting I use right now, which I managed to get through dozens of experimentations and tweaking:

-ambient_factor 18.3 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

Nice balance of ambient "space light," laser lighting, beam turret lighting, and sunflare. Moody like the original, but with just enough added lighting complexities of SCP to make it subtle. A good example can be seen by seeing the shiney factor of the Support ship as noticable but not intrusive (Especially when looking top view). Hopes this setting will be an option for future mediaVPs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 10:55:50 pm by sfried »

-ambient_factor 18.3 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

Good settings. I guess I'll be using them for a while.

And what about the -fov option? What do u recommend?