Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released  (Read 23064 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released

Notes from the author:

A shot of the Resistance fleet reminds me of the capabilities of the revamped FreeSpace 2 game engine in terms of rendering many objects at once.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer Released
Well that was......... Varied.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
The shot with all the ships... I know they wanted to put as many as possible in one shot and it looks cool but could they at least try to have some kind of formation? That random bulk of ships might be the least effective formation I have ever seen.
I bet they would waste a lot of firepower by ships blocking each other, let alone that if that is supposed to be before a battle, once the battle starts manouvering will be hell.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Since when have star wars ships done a formation.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Star Wars: The Rise of my gorge.

Looks like another bog-standard dose of hot Disney garbage.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
The shot with all the ships... I know they wanted to put as many as possible in one shot and it looks cool but could they at least try to have some kind of formation? That random bulk of ships might be the least effective formation I have ever seen.
I bet they would waste a lot of firepower by ships blocking each other, let alone that if that is supposed to be before a battle, once the battle starts manouvering will be hell.

You can do it in FRED. Create a mission, then place your warships in tight formation. Make sure their IFFs are consistent. Repeat for warships with consistent hostile IFFs.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
@1:01 right of shot, is that the ghosty named ship from the cg animated series that I never watched?  Thought it was a YT-2000 for a second.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I am thoroughly whelmed by this. Looks like they're going with basic, safe Star Wars(TM) rather than attempting to push the envelope. I appreciated Last Jedi for what it tried to do--even though it fumbled the execution on a lot of its ideas, it had ambition and was willing to try new things. This just looks like they're playing it safe. How disappointing.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Hiring JJ Abrams for the first one was a huge mistake, but hiring him for the last one has compounded it.  The man really likes to ask questions.  The problem is he doesn't have the slightest clue how to answer his questions that he asked.

Of course, if you ask me, anything other than turning the Thrawn trilogy into movies was a big mistake.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Of course, if you ask me, anything other than turning the Thrawn trilogy into movies was a big mistake.

I couldn't agree more.

It didn't even have to be a faithful adaptation, it could have been a mash-up of the best ideas of the EU, like how Dark Knight Rises mashed up No Man's Land and Knightfall.

The books were written before the prequels so that alone presented a great opportunity to reimagine the clones in the story, and return to Coruscant. The MCU reworked Civil War to fit the cinematic universe they had created, very successfully!

But no... instead, we get this.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline crizza

@1:01 right of shot, is that the ghosty named ship from the cg animated series that I never watched?  Thought it was a YT-2000 for a second.
This is indeed the Ghost from Star Wars Rebels.
There are theories that Ezra Bridger and/or Hera Syndulla may make a cameo, so while Thrawn is not in the movie, if Bridger makes a cameo, there are high hopes that Thrawn has returned too.

Offline Luis Dias

That is such a Valérian-esque shot.

Offline Turambar

Rebels is based on Clone Wars, which is based on the Prequels, so I really really REALLY hope that there's no tie-in.  Anything that legitimizes the prequels is a serious no-go.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I couldn't agree more.

It didn't even have to be a faithful adaptation, it could have been a mash-up of the best ideas of the EU, like how Dark Knight Rises mashed up No Man's Land and Knightfall.

The books were written before the prequels so that alone presented a great opportunity to reimagine the clones in the story, and return to Coruscant. The MCU reworked Civil War to fit the cinematic universe they had created, very successfully!

But no... instead, we get this.
Thrawn doesn't work as a main antagonist in a mainline saga movie, there is no Ysalamiri in the new canon and without those the moment the Force steps in he's screwed.

Also, you should see some comics fans writing about the MCU, many are as pissed if not more about the MCU adaptations, the difference is that few care about comic books the way they do about Star Wars.

Rebels is based on Clone Wars, which is based on the Prequels, so I really really REALLY hope that there's no tie-in.  Anything that legitimizes the prequels is a serious no-go.

Clone Wars and Rebels are good though.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Also liked Clone Wars and Rebels, also Rebels went a little bit overbord at the end. Still hope that Ezra and Thrawn return at some point as well as Asoka.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Turambar

The best stories in Star Wars were wiped from canon to make room for the new movies.  When it's time for the prequels to be replaced, unfortunately Clone Wars and Rebels will suffer the same fate.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

The best stories in Star Wars were wiped from canon to make room for the new movies.  When it's time for the prequels to be replaced, unfortunately Clone Wars and Rebels will suffer the same fate.

Huh, you know that Lucas didn't like the EU and would have likely either done the same or just completely ignored it, right? Clone Wars already ignored the EU because Lucas didn't like a lot of stuff already established in novels, games and comics.
One example is the name "Korriban" for the Sith planet which he decided should be called "Moraband" instead or just the entire story of the Mandalorians and the Nightsisters.

They did the right choice (and the only reason Lucas didn't is probably because he only cares about the movies and later the CGI cartoon), good or not most sequel stories just didn't fit with the prequels, even less with what Lucas intended about the Force and its implications. Though seeing what stupidity they would invent to try and fit any new movies Lucas would have made into the old books would have been funny. "Hey, this Kira girl who's Luke's apprentice (*), should we say that she helped with the war with the Yuzhan Woong? Or did the training happen later? Did Luke become a hermit before or after the new Jedi council was founded or it's after he disbanded it?"

(*) part of the original treatment by Lucas later recicled for TLJ.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Turambar

Well of course, after the Prequels it became obvious that George Lucas is pretty much the last person you should listen to on Star Wars.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Well of course, after the Prequels it became obvious that George Lucas is pretty much the last person you should listen to on Star Wars.
I think the guys that thought of implying Palpatine was right all along in building a Death Star because of the invaders from another galaxy only he knew about might be better candidates and this just off the top of my head.

Offline Turambar

I definitely cut the Vong out of my 'star wars canon' because trivializing the whole galactic civil war isn't great, and bringing in enemies from another galaxy isn't great, when over 70% of the galaxy Star Wars is set in is labeled "Unknown Regions."  Just makes me think writers don't know how big a galaxy is, or how far away from each other they are.

But yeah, even that is better than 'the force is microbes in your blood, and we have a little meter here like in DBZ'