Author Topic: SC Raguel WIP  (Read 27791 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
From this thread, I have been upgrading the Shivan cruiser Raguel, from the 2011 Inferno modeldump by Woomeister to high-poly. I'm doing so for sharpening my modelling and texturing skills so that I can finish two Terran designs for the FreeSpace Upgrade project, particularly the MediaVPs before their next release. In addition to being hi-poly, it features destroyable sub-objects like those found in fightermedic's ships such as the SFg Beelzeboul, and Esarai's ships.

As for the armanent, it retains the same turrets from both the INFR1 and the 2011 modeldump versions, but sports a few additional ones. I think estimated additional armanent are three LRSReds in three arms, three SAAAs on the rear top dorsal tooth-like structure, and four VLS torpedos. For shielding, I think it may be like the Rictus-class of Shivan cruiser by Galemp, though I'm planning to release it in two versions, namely a mesh-shielded version and a non-mesh-shielded version. I am sure the UEF's Sanctus and/or Custos cruisers from Blue Planet could not stand much against this kind of cruiser, especially when encountered in large numbers. In addition to that, it could stand against GTVA fighters, bombers and cruisers and the Cylons (but not before succumbing to attack by Raiders armed with nuclear missiles).

SC Raguel - WIP (View in 3D)

Update: It was finished, yet revisions is to come.

Update: Betrayal's is working on it, the main shape is done and details are coming out. Good job!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:32:36 pm by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Yeah looks awesome so far, finally nice to see shivans getting more HTL love :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I've updated the p3d view of the SC Raguel model. It's finished, but not yet UV-wrapped and untextured because it may require some tweaking and changes to make it accurate as the original 2011 Inferno dump model, but I'm sure this exemplifies the future of Shivan hi-poly modelling. Agree with starbug here.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Looks like influenced by my Scylla with a very good result. It will fit to Scylla perfectly. I can suggest only reworking rear parts of armor, as they have too much polys and no details at all. You should reduce number of polys here. I would put armor plates on these parts of armor.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Like Betrayal, I don't see a reason to use quite so many polies for the "rounded" effect when smoothing on fewer polies would achieve essentially the same result. I do agree that those polies could be better spent on details.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Agree with Betrayal and Droid803, I personally see no reason for me to increase many polygons for the "rounded" effect. So, I started working on them. Namely adding details to them. Once this is done, I'll start UV-wrapping and texturing the cruiser, before conversion to POF and tabling.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Honestly, I don't think this model is even close to finished. Looking at it, there's a vast difference in detailing and style between the arms and the rest of the model; the main body looks like someone took a bit of putty and pulled it into shape, while the arms look like finished product.

And yeah, the polycount is way, way too high. While that isn't that big an issue for modern graphics cards, it's going to make the model far larger and inefficient than it needs to be.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Thank you, The E. Regarding the comment you posted there, increasing the polycount do not make what I expected the hi-poly HTL Raguel model to be (it must be in consistent with all up-to-date Shivan ship models). I think it's now time to rebuild it from scratch, using the old model as a reference. I would do it myself, but the aforementioned issue just make it inefficient that I'm pretty sure I need help, so I'm requesting any modeller to. Perhaps Betrayal, Esarai, Rga_Noris and Lepanto (given that I'm planning to lend over my help in texturing his Shivan frigate, the Geryon) will do, although I'm good in tabling nowadays. My software I'm using is the latest version of Blender, as most of you modellers are.

BTW, feel free to PM me.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Perhaps only the oversubdivided parts of the ship. I can do something great from geometry like this and decrase polycount limit. Upload the blend file somewhere, PM me the download link and I can see what I can do. I cannot promise fast progress as I have too much projects on my head, but I can redo parts of the ship with bad geometry, and finish it on my own along with textures. I will send it back to you when it's done. I will help you, because it fits to my Scylla and will be useful for me.

One condition: Release it when it's done or I will do it :P.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Betrayal, I've PM with my blend file sent to you. I know this fits to your Scylla and will be useful to you.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I got it. Thanks.

From this point I can promise I will do something of similar quality as Scylla, but don't expect it to be done soon :P

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Thank you, Betrayal. Regarding to the post and PM, this is great and encouraging for a modder like myself. All of the older Shivan models need revamps. I will work on its turrets and stuff.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well... I'm going to do HTLs of more shivan models in style of Scylla. SCv Bryn is going to be revamped to become a destroyer. SCa Shiamak is sexy design as well. Raguel won't be my last word :)

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Looking forward to it, as I sincerely hope that SC Raguel will have my name being included in part in the model credits of the FreeSpace Wiki. As for all of your HTL models in style of Scylla, do you mean that SJ Amritaya (from the 2011 Inferno modeldump) is going to be included in your plan?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It'd be fantastic to have more Shivan ships. Keep it up, Betrayal.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Looking forward to it, as I sincerely hope that SC Raguel will have my name being included in part in the model credits of the FreeSpace Wiki. As for all of your HTL models in style of Scylla, do you mean that SJ Amritaya (from the 2011 Inferno modeldump) is going to be included in your plan?
Hmmm... A Jugg? Sounds like a challenge, especialy when she is so cool. I will consider it :D

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
110% support your statement, General Battuta. Betrayal, keep it up, and i'll do the texturing and conversion. It is great to see more Shivan hi-poly models, with perhaps destroyable subsystems. Make one of these compliant with the upcoming OpenCollada support.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline starlord

Think you could save the iblis?

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Think you could save the iblis?

As long as it gets a massive overhaul from its current, boxy look. iirc, people don't like its current look.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.