Author Topic: New Project In The Worx  (Read 20731 times)

Almost! The textures to it look almost right... I like to tweak until it has the real feel to it... However those are good!!! I might have to stop and take a look!

I have just made a new post on some SCP ideas.... Has anyone else tapped on these ideas, and if so, have you heard anything that might be out soon on these ideas?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,27772.0.html

stithe2000, nice homebrews especially the BOP!!! I've yet to develop my modelling skills to that level. I model small fighters for now (SAAB Hammerhead - my first homebrew http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,27718.0.html)

Don't forget to include SAAB in the crossover equation. I think a Hammerhead vs Tie fighter would be interesting considering they both don't have shields. Or perhaps a Saratoga vs a Star Destroyer.

In reguard to the Trek vs SW statistics..... tread carefully!!! A lot of hot heads in that debate. I still insist Trek would DESTROY SW :devil:

In reguard to the Galaxy, good luck smoothgrouping the sucker in Truespace. Check out Styxx 3dsmax plugin if you have that proggy. It does wonders.

Hey Karma, you were asking me before about conversion assistance? PM as to not speek off topic.

Thx Omni! However, I have done the Vorlon Cruiser, Transpor, and that BoP... Each had their own little quarks on how to adapt them to Freespace.... Most of it is just triangulation, and making someparts sectional so it will convert... As for the versus physics, we'll see what happens.... It will take take time and effort from everyone to get it right.... Plus lots of beta testing.... I am sure once test missions starts popping here and there we should start to see where things are going! Any volunteers?

Can you compete with Scotchy's galaxy? Are you gonna conintue modelling it for FS2? After seeing Scotchy's skills, its gonna be a tough comparison though I do have my gripes with Scotchy's Galaxy, the thickness of the pylons for example. Of course I too love a good modelling excercise. I'll eventually start modelling my own Sovereign Class.

Omni: I'll tell you what... I would like to work on the sovereign LOD0... Would you like to help me with the lods, and texturing her? You were working on your Trek mod for a bit longer... Plus... Would you like to play with my BoP?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
oh, if you guys need to make some modelling excerices I'm plenty of models I can give you to do :D:D:D
Omni, I don't know if stithe is aware of all the models you already converted (I don't know if he want to do them on his own anyway) maybe you could put him in the right direction for those files?

omni, that conversion help is something I'll need in future for my new awing, buuut when/if you'll have time/wish/right mood we may use some hand in converting some xwaup ships (which require something more than a simple file format conversion, so it isn't so easy to find someone able to do it). Anyway, I'll wrote you a pm as soon as I'll have a bit more time

Cool! As for redoing all the models... I am trying not to, for I am only redoing those that really need it.... Plus the ones that are already out could have a new LOD0 to add to the model.... As for the rest... A little tweaking here and there just to get the right effect... I am looking for a real lasting experience with this mod... The type that creates goose bumps, and hair raises! That only comes with a whole lot of lovin for the models, textures, effects, and the story line revealled in the missions.... Any help, or testing you guys can provide would be awsome and greatly appreciated!

stithe2000, click on the blue text on my signature (just figured how to make those.... I'm still a forum noob). Thats a link to all the Trek ships I've made available for FS2. The Sovy I think already has a near perfect LOD0.

ChonocidalGuy is currently working on a v2.0 with BEEFIER textures (if possible, considering thy're already at 4096x2048 sizes)

Crickets!

Hey!! Your BoP is not badI However, your fed ships look sharp... your Vorcha though... I have one made, but the LOD0 is bout to be redone.... However the textures are a bit better... I am doing a new color adjust to it... maybe we can blend the models together, and make an awsome vorcha... also... I have a an old K'Tinga done... But like most of my models they are before SCP, and so the LOD0 needs lovin, but it still looks sharp... I will put some pix up later, but for now I have to b off to work! Laters!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
for what? making themissions or testing them?

No time for the former, but may have enough for the latter.

Btw, I read the story idea on the other thread, its interesting for sure (I see you don't lack the enthusiasm for it either!) and I look forward to actually playing it as well.

Good luck :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
yeah, he isn't surely missing enthusasm....he's a bit crazy I suppose:D, I'm plentiful of problems just with the sw conversion alone, and he want to add to it some 3 or 4 more TCs eheh:)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
aaactually....I bet I could create a single mission too ya know....if I had a SD model or even a few fighter pofs & table entries as well ya know......I mean, the trek models are already there....and we have Freespace as well ;7
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

I wish I had that ferver of energy again. I remember going completely insane when I first discovered you folks and flooded this community with Trek models out of the blue. Now that I'm aware of the workload involved in homebrew modelling and texturing and then producing and balancing a ship's game stats, I've slowed down quite a bit.

Quality is now more important to me than quantity.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
He he, we are everywhere...

A few months back I posted on Spacebattles.com that I wanted to get serious and focus this SAME issue on different universes so they would realistically be represented. I asked their math genuises if they can make a comparision table so I could calibrate the Weapons in the "mega-mod".  

BIG MISTAKE...

All it started was a flame war. First they attacked me and the mod idea as "unbalanced" (they didn't get the point that I didn't give a squat about balance I wanted to be true to THE TECH FIRST, then worry about balance. It was for my enjoyment first of all!).

After that, the posters started attacking each other in the age old arguments of "who's tech is better" and "who would dominate", blah , blah, blah...

I never went back to that thread as I was so disgusted by the lack of maturity to have a simple discussion about tech.

I think you are gonna run into the same problem I did. We can read books and find out a Phaser is (X) mega joules (or whater), and a Turbo Laser is (X) GT's  but in the end how much damage does that mean?

MAYBE some of OUR resident math/physics genuises can be persueded to make a baseline formula or chart of weapons types from sci-fi and we can equate them to damage potential. (this takes care of weaponry but the on to the OTHER issue)...

SHIELDING, Grrrr... ST has shields rated for X-X amounts), SW has their rating system, SG-1 has thiers, the other half of sci-fi doesn't have shields (B5, Andromeda, Robotech (ok just for sdf-1), ect)..

As you can see it's a geat and GLORIOUS ideal, but it's gonna take some damn hard thinking..

(I am so glad He's here! Finally someone who can see the whole mega-verse and say "what if?"...)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 12:32:21 pm by 2035 »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

1st off... Lets remind ourselves... :) THIS IS FOR SHEAR FUN!! :) Next... Yes.... I agree we should compile a chart... However, it will take time just like this mod, and the story line will.... It will take time, and maturity! Getter Robo G do you have any suggestions who we might start talking to about this chart idea? This would be a good thing to add with this mod when it is released way way way in the future! That way... It is in black and white, and there should not be much complaining of sorts... (I expect some, but oh well!) SO, lets start brain storming on this and see what we come up with... In the mean time, I am going to try to start a forum just for the Univereses Mod, and hopefully soon after a website to support us, and let people know what we are doing! Aftter we get a ways with this we can see bout ftp support, and then have some real fun! More on this later, but for now.. Keep the ideas coming! Thanx Robo!!!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
"I  Live for the one , I DIE for the one..."

..."A quaint and noble philosophy, but why does the emphasis always seem to weight on the second part of that statement?" - G'Kar

I sent you a pm about a hosting option.. l8tr
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'm fairly familiar with these matters, and I do occasionally feel guilty for lurking and not contributing. Either I, or individuals I can find at SDnet, would probably be able to help with charts and formulas without any more flamewar threads than absolutely necessary. And some simply are inevitable with a project like this.

As to the question of what joules and watts and tons mean in terms of damage, well that's a fun one. For example, consider a nice spherical nickel-iron asteroid ten meters in diameter. You want to vaporize this asteroid; the absolute minimum energy required is the equivalent of 7.5 kilotons of TNT. A kiloton is 4.2 terajoules, that is, 4.2*10^12 joules.

However, a sci-fi weapon rated at 7.5 kT is far more likely to crater or melt this asteroid than it is to vaporize it. Why? Well, vaporization is what you get if you put a 7.5 kT nuke inside the asteroid and set it off. That's all of the energy applied evenly to the asteroid far faster than it can be reradiated. You detinate that nuke at the surface, and less than half the energy is going to go into the asteroid, and not at all evenly. Now you try hitting the asteroid with a high-wattage laser pulse rated at 7.5 kT. Some of the laser will be reflected, depending upon what sort of laser it is and what the surface of the asteroid is like. The initial hit will hit with full power, but now you've got vaporized and melted metal streaming out of the hole and diffracting the laser. Furthermore, you're only hitting a tiny point on the asteroid, so there's more of a tendency for the laser to put a hole in it than there is for the whole thing to instantly turn to gas.

Even so, it really shouldn't be that hard to come up with nice little values called 'damage points' if we put our minds to it. However, I know little about how damage and such are calculated in FS, and what sort of little bits of programming it would be possible to squeeze out of the local CS types, nor do I have any idea what might have been determined to be the current state of FS tech, so I really don't know where to begin.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon