Author Topic: GTF Iapetus RELEASE  (Read 12327 times)

GTF Iapetus RELEASE
This interceptor is going to be my submission for the competition. It's a fast interceptor, able to enter and exit subspace very quickly. Right now it has a turret, though I max lock it and turn it into a firing point. The idea was that the ship would make passes at the target, with the turret continuously shooting even as the Iapetus is turning. I haven't got the turret to work yet, so I haven't tested it out.

Right now there is a diffuse map, a diffuse-turned-shine map, and a normal map.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:21:23 pm by bobbtmann »

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i like the general shape, maybe the forward pointing arms could be a bit shorter though
not so sure about the color scheme, all the greyish with dirt makes it look a bit dull somehow
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Good idea, well executed :yes: IMHO, you nailed the interceptor concept: light spacecraft with *big* engine exhausts :)

Have to ask it though: what's the idea behind the canopy?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I don't really see the fighter in this to be frank... To me it looks more like it could be some sort of space racer or arena craft, more meant to be used as a sports craft than as a warship.

Post that, it's a really interesting and refreshing design. :)

What's with the Mario star in the cabin though? :p

Have to ask it though: what's the idea behind the canopy?

Just mixing it up. Not many ships have a paint job.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
To me it looks more like it could be some sort of space racer
that's not the worst impression to get from an interceptor if you ask me, FAAAAST is the one impression you should get when looking at one
and like FreeSpaceFreak, i think he nailed that
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Lorric

I don't really see the fighter in this to be frank... To me it looks more like it could be some sort of space racer or arena craft, more meant to be used as a sports craft than as a warship.

I thought this too, I didn't really want to say it, but since you have, it makes me think of something you would see in WipEout, especially if you cut out that bottom ring, it really does.

It's nice, but if someone just showed me a shot and didn't tell me what it's meant to be, I would seriously think some sort of WipEout-type racing machine.

Offline Luis Dias

The "dullness" probably comes from the lack of shine. With the shine maps this will be awesome. Great work Bobb! This competition will be fierce!! :yes:

Hmmn, the primary wings remind me a bit of the Myrmidon (minus the loop).
Different but pretty cool

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Definitely unusual; the curvy shapes could signal Vasudan design influence. Besides the weird star on the cockpit, I'd give this one my approval.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Nice work! That canopy and the turrets inspire me a UAV, rather than a manned fighter.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Its current incarnation feels decidedly un-Freespacy to me.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Tis ok, half the ships in FS are unfreespacy.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Its current incarnation feels decidedly un-Freespacy to me.

to me without the loops and with a brown paint scheme it would be a very vasudan design
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

yes, my bad I thought it was a Star Wars ship, and only I read those comments I realised this was a "GTF". It still is a really cool ship.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Ditch the loops and it'd fit fairly well in Battletech, too. (Tho it'd probably have to be Clan to fit all those missiles and the heavy cannon.)

I like it. It is, as many have said, "un-Freespacey", but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It looks very sleek and powerful. :)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
It looks to me like a Myrmidon with loops added to it.  I suspect the star on the cockpit is what causes it to seem "un-Freespacey".
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

It looks to me like a Myrmidon with loops added to it.  I suspect the star on the cockpit is what causes it to seem "un-Freespacey".

I suspect you're right.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I have mixed feelings about this.
I love the concept behind it, I love the shape design, but I find the texture design very boring.

Also, like others have mentioned, it doesn't look Freespacey, due to the texture job and the design itself, IMO. However, I don't think it would warrant a "back to the drawing board" situation, but could be fixed with some adjustments:
- I think that the loops could be easily explained as being part of that "get in and out of subspace quickly" concept... they just need to have some techy stuff to sell on that idea visually
- The ship does seem to have some Vasudan influence, so reinforcing that, like the Myrmidon does (with some scaling and whatnot), would help on selling the Freespace look
- The texture: less sleek, and more "heavy" in terms of panel thickness (aka more Freespacey). A bit of variation on the greys: have areas with different shades of grey (omg...) will go a long way to keep it visually rich.
- Keep the star... it adds character.

I'm by no means telling you what to do, rather sharing my thoughts. Hope that helps :)

Oh and nitpick of the day: the slight S curvature on the tip of the forward wings breaks the visual flow... :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

- I think that the loops could be easily explained as being part of that "get in and out of subspace quickly" concept... they just need to have some techy stuff to sell on that idea visually

I for one already assumed that was the case with the loops.