Author Topic: The Aesaar-Hades Terran Fighter Extravaganza  (Read 20912 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: The Aesaar-Hades Terran Fighter Extravaganza
I like it.  It looks more real now.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Still looks too angular, especially noticeable on the side of the pod. It has a sharp edge on it, which was not present in the old model. The outrigger engines are also too long. Cockpit is also too angular, especially the window. In other words, not potatoey enough. :)

That said, I'm not saying I don't like the model. It'd make a sweet Herc IIA, or a similar design. However, it resembles Herc I too much and Herc II not enough. The whole deal with Herc II was that it was nothing like Herc I, the heritage takes quite a while to notice.

It's angular because it is meant to be angular... I don't see much point discussing that Dragon :P

I'd chose this version over the current model any time. Curvy Hercules..... Nope.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The original was curvy as well. From the design standpoint, yes, this one is better than :v:'s admittedly lousy Herc II. Still, it is too big of a departure, too much of a reimagining and not a straight upgrade. In-universe, I see Herc II more as an attempt to capitalize on the Herc's fame and sell a different fighter as a "new and improved" version with a smooth "high-tech" exterior and a slight speed improvement, hoping that the GTVA will gloss over the blatant inadequacies of the design because of that. The new version actually looks like it was derived from the Herc I.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I always thought the Herc1 was really cool and the Herc2 really lame. I quite like this replacement. Still identifiable different from the 1, but credible as being based on it.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I always thought that the FS2 fighter designs are supposed to reflect joint design with vasudan contractors (hence the stranger, curvier shapes). This "more terran" Herc version could be justified within bp lore as a latter production variant given the rift between both parts.

I like the retail Herc 2 and I like the divide between the blocky FS1 designs and fluid FS2 designs.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Zarax

Don't kill me please but I think that while the model is great overall the cockpit should be curved, not for retail semblace's sake but because IMHO it "cheapens" it, giving an idea of less detail.
The Best is Yet to Come

As far as I know that model is not supposed to be in FSU so let them make it as they want.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
lovly upgrade, me like!
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Looking good, when I originally drew it up I had more of a F22/35 idea for the cockpit canopy/nose area but you guys can totally run with it in whatever direction you think best.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I always thought that the FS2 fighter designs are supposed to reflect joint design with vasudan contractors (hence the stranger, curvier shapes). This "more terran" Herc version could be justified within bp lore as a latter production variant given the rift between both parts.
Hence why I said, Herc IIA, or Herc II Block 2, whatever you like. If they were actually seen anywhere in BP (they aren't, IIRC), this would be a perfect replacement.
As far as I know that model is not supposed to be in FSU so let them make it as they want.
If so, then it's actually pretty good. If it wasn't for the fact I don't see this being a frontline fighter by the time BP rolls around, it'd be perfect for it. Maybe BP3 could get some mileage out of it (assuming we get to visit Tev systems and it doesn't get too bizarre to still have a use for a regular fighter :) ).

Offline Aesaar

Looking good, when I originally drew it up I had more of a F22/35 idea for the cockpit canopy/nose area but you guys can totally run with it in whatever direction you think best.
I tried modeling it that way and tbh I failed miserably.  If Hades wants to try remodeling the cockpit and nose, I encourage him to.  It doesn't look right atm. 

I'm trying to do better with the Perseus.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I remodeled the main hull.

[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Aesaar

And I started on the Perseus.

Missiles are redesigned Trebuchet and Harpoon.  This external layout isn't currently possible without code changes, however.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:16:40 am by Aesaar »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Oh yes.
Ohhh yes.
el hombre vicio...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Looking good :yes:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That looks really good. I'd really love to see the weapons get overhauled for BP (as in, new weapons, not rebalanced FS2 ones), not only ships. While it'd be great to be able to orient the external weapons like that, but I'm afraid we're stuck with what we have for now. You can try leaving the missile pods attached to wings, at the very least, and if the trebs were not "flattened", then I suppose they could be attached to those rails anyway.

Hell yeah! Perseus is awesome. Love the fuselage line. Can't wait to see the engine pods detailed.

I have a small suggestion however. Wing missile pods mounting. They are pretty wide and you attached them with a single pylon. Using two pylons or attaching it to the wing with entire surface would have made them look more solid to me ;)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
While it'd be great to be able to orient the external weapons like that, but I'm afraid we're stuck with what we have for now.
We're only "stuck with it" until somebody writes new code.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.