Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 289649 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
Dasmar needs a distinguishable voice. Or else it would suck.

Offline Viko

Really great job here  :lol:

Thank you for your work lad  :P

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I've got another question. Who were the unknowns in the mission with the Nepits and the Mentu at the cargo depot? (Taurus wing IIRC)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Dasmar needs a distinguishable voice. Or else it would suck.

I would say charismatic. It would be more appropriate.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I've got another question. Who were the unknowns in the mission with the Nepits and the Mentu at the cargo depot? (Taurus wing IIRC)

My guess is SOC.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
That...was...awesome...Words cannot describe the quality.  So I'll go with smiles: 

:pimp: :snipe: :snipe: :mad: :nervous: :jaw:  :yes2: :yes:

And when will you post the list of Easter Eggs?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I don't think there are easter eggs...except for some names taken from Inferno :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
The mass on that thing is MESSED UP. The Akrotiri jug I hit with it went flying at 300 m/s or something.

Wait until I release the easter eggs list later today. You'll see things that are even crazier. :D

Straight from the horse's mouth...
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Photoncody

• Oh yeah!!!
    • Junk4Less
Lol kept this quiet didn't you (until the release obviously) ? Last I recall it died when a hard-drive went down.

Yes, that happened in 2004 and I lost a lot of progress from it. I got some new ideas last summer and started working on it again. I had learned my lesson though and decided to refrain from building up any hype this time, until the thing was actually ready to go. :p

Ugh too bad you had to include one of those stupid covert missions. I've had enough bs for one day after trying and failing ten times over.

Meh at least I can enjoy the rest of the campaign now.

It's a matter of taste. Some people actually like those missions. :p I'm assuming you're referring to 13, which is actually fairly easy if you approach it the right way. See the walkthrough for some tips.

I suppose I should make it possible to skip that part as a cheat though. It's impossible to cheat in it and the later part of that mission is fairly critical to the story, so skipping it isn't a good idea either. I have already built a bypass into the mission for debugging but disabled it for the final release, so it should be easy to turn it back on in the next update.

In any case, at least I can say that the campaign has something for everyone. :D
lol I have a game that lets me activate cheats and still progress thoughout the campaign.
And I killed everything that was a fighter in mission 13,14 and all the other stealth missions :) and it was a complete success. :ick:
I go OMGWTF at just about every ship model that I see. (As long as its not absolutely butt-ugly, like just a box or something.) --Trayus
We Are Working For You, Or At Least, We Are Supposed To. --Mobius

lol I have a game that lets me activate cheats and still progress thoughout the campaign.
[And I killed everything that was a fighter in mission 13,14 and all the other stealth missions :) and it was a complete success. :ick:
let me guess, on very easy, with some sort of mod, or some other method of cheating?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Sorry for the delayed response; a bad cold and the coursework piling up at the end of the semester does not make for a good combination. :doubt:

I will post a story document in a few days that should clear up most of the story-related questions that people have, once I get some time to write it up. In the meantime, as promised, here is the full list of easter eggs (all 27 of them). I highly recommend that you complete the campaign before trying these out.

Link

Don't drink stuff while activating these. I am not responsible for any broken keyboards. :D

Offline Dysko

Uh... I can't trigger Easter Egg #2...
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You need to do it at the end. You can just cheat, make the Arcadia and yourself invulnerable, and crank up the time compression to get there quickly.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
#6 was hilarious!

So was #3!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 11:00:43 am by Snail »

Offline Centrixo

Pretty good mod. i must congratulate you on some very good work :-).

i have a few nigiling little points i want to air.
1. the balance of weapons.
2. rapid fire.
3. new weapons.
4. impossible objectives.

1. the balance of weapons. It seems to of shifted it towards the enemy quite a bit, as far as i am concerned i found a good weapon balance and made the modifications accordingly to your mod. it's now either me or the enemy.

2. rapid fire. rapid firing ships is a lovely piece of work, but i have noticed that when the weapon fires, it fires so many projectiles that it eventually covers the screen.

3. New weapons. IMHO there crap. i wish i had some good points but i don't. sorry.

4. Impossible objectives. i like next to impossible objectives, but on several missions i can not even complete the objectives without being pushed away or destroyed half way even with my flight skills, which are quite high.

but their are good points.
1. Flak fire.
2. bonus points.
3. Procyon.
4. destruction.
5. new tactics.

1. flak fire. Whoever made this campaign is a guninus. flying through flak is very hard work but is very fun.

2. Bonus Points. always rewards to get bonus points, increases morale and fighter spirit.

3. Procyon. Finally a system that never gets a shout inless it's called Procyon-A or some crap like that. this system is finally being used. i am very happy with that.

4. Destruction. alota alota destruction, all good for an imagination! :-P.

5. New Tactics. what it said in the readme is the dufficulty adapts. and it does, which is good. That means i never get my way as quickly as i like.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
My campaign uses Procyon. But my campaign sucks. :(

BTW, I can't find the Cargo crate for #8.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
1. the balance of weapons. It seems to of shifted it towards the enemy quite a bit, as far as i am concerned i found a good weapon balance and made the modifications accordingly to your mod. it's now either me or the enemy.

They usually carry the same weapons as you (weaker versions in a few cases), but most of them fire slower due to their AI "accuracy" settings. Not sure what you're talking about.

4. Impossible objectives. i like next to impossible objectives, but on several missions i can not even complete the objectives without being pushed away or destroyed half way even with my flight skills, which are quite high.

If you're referring to the various extra objectives in the missions, they are optional and are intended to provide an additional challenge over the main goals. Turn down the difficulty if you're having trouble. I find that I can generally complete all of them on medium difficulty within two or three tries each.

BTW, I can't find the Cargo crate for #8.

The other two guys are sitting still at the beginning, so you can use them to align yourself and make sure your direction is correct before heading out.

Offline Centrixo

The quotes you have brung up.

1. I do not feel right wheather you think if there weaker - if there good choise for you maybe. But overall playing it over something like multiplayer is going to be a problem. Which i have already done mind you.

4. I am not talking about just bonus objectives, the objectives as a whole. That mission where you encounter a strange EM signature in Epsilon Pegasi for example. I am getting pushed back by the morningstars quite alot. In other ways i can not get near it because of the rapid firing cruiser. Again an example.

BTW extra point of interest, think about it. You created this campaign for maybe your style. But have not maybe though of people who have different compatibilites, as you are the one who created this campaign is your responsiblity to hear everyones opinion and *not argue it out*, its a good campaign and throughly enjoyed. But it could help if you think of every scenario. i am trying to help i hope it does :-).
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
1. I do not feel right wheather you think if there weaker - if there good choise for you maybe. But overall playing it over something like multiplayer is going to be a problem. Which i have already done mind you.

4. I am not talking about just bonus objectives, the objectives as a whole. That mission where you encounter a strange EM signature in Epsilon Pegasi for example. I am getting pushed back by the morningstars quite alot. In other ways i can not get near it because of the rapid firing cruiser. Again an example.

BTW extra point of interest, think about it. You created this campaign for maybe your style. But have not maybe though of people who have different compatibilites, as you are the one who created this campaign is your responsiblity to hear everyones opinion and *not argue it out*, its a good campaign and throughly enjoyed. But it could help if you think of every scenario. i am trying to help i hope it does :-).

Well, PI was never designed with multiplayer usage in mind and wouldn't work well there. Most missions would need to be made a lot harder for multiplayer to be interesting (to counterbalance respawns and multiple players), and a few would be essentially impossible to carry over without major changes to how they operate.

As for that mission you mentioned, you don't actually need to (and aren't supposed to be able to) get near the object. The bonus objective is simply to target it, and you can ignore it altogether for the primary objectives. The morning star guys can get a bit annoying but are countered pretty effectively with heat seeking missiles. Rockeyes work well and are included in the default loadout for that mission. The enemies will also fire their morning stars at a much slower rate on lower difficulty levels.

I welcome all suggestions of course, but I think the overall difficulty is generally right about where I wanted to have it. The ingame difficulty levels should still allow the campaign to adapt to a fairly wide range of players. There was an issue with mission 13 in that respect, but that has now been corrected. Nice to know that you liked the campaign overall though. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:29:41 pm by CP5670 »

Well I like the story and background for the campaign, but I can honestly say I've never been so frustrated playing a FS2 campaign, even Aeos Affair was nowhere near the difficulty level of this campaign.  The "4 minutes to destroy the corvette and Aeolus" is possible to do if you play it absolutely perfectly to the letter, sort of like taking out all 5 beams on Bearbaiting, except in this case its mission fail if you end up one bomb short.  Then the next mission you get treated to trucking around in a Bakha getting blasted by 2 or 3 Erinyes armed with morning stars. 

This is a venting post, I'll likely be more positive on the campaign when I get to a mission I dont have to play 10 times to get past.